Chain Guard Ability?

GaoWei

I've looked around, but haven't seen this brought up yet. Does anyone know if you can chain guard using 2 shadows?

The concept would work similar to this...

Let's say you have 2 Jedi Shadows in a group, 1 being a Kinetic tank and the other an Infiltration DPS. Add a healer to the group. If both shadows utilize Combat Technique, they both will have guard.

Could the Kinetic Tank put guard on the Infiltrator and the Infiltrator put guard on the healer?

Not sure if this is a viable strategy as I would need to understand Guard a little bit better.

The description on Guard states that damaged is reduced by 5% on target and 50% is transferred back to you. Does this mean that if 100 damage is done to a healer you are guarding, it would first reduce that to 95, then of that 95, 47.5 is applied to both the infiltrator and you?

If that is the case, would Guard work like this with 2 shadows?...

Enemy does 100 dmg to healer. It is reduced by 5% to 95 which then is divided by 50% and 47.5 applied to the healer and the infiltrator. The 47.5 applied to the infiltrator would then be reduced by 5% (45.125) and split out evenly between the infiltrator and the kinetic tank. This would mean the tank and the infiltrator would only take 22.5625 dmg.

So the total 100 dmg would be reduced to 92.625 dmg overall, but split between the 3 members of the group.

On top of that, both the healer and the damage dealer (infiltrator) would each generate 25% less threat, which would help the tank regain control of the target.

Sorry about the long post but let me know if anyone can prove or disprove this theory. I am curious if it would work.

I haven't gotten my early access yet, but if it's anything like it was for the beta weekend that I was on for, you won't be able to Guard a target that is currently Guarding something or being Guarded by someone else. Iirc, using Guard places a debuff/buff on yourself and a buff/debuff on the target, and the Guard ability requires a target with neither debuff/buff in order to activate.

I haven't gotten my early access yet, but if it's anything like it was for the beta weekend that I was on for, you won't be able to Guard a target that is currently Guarding something or being Guarded by someone else. Iirc, using Guard places a debuff/buff on yourself and a buff/debuff on the target, and the Guard ability requires a target with neither debuff/buff in order to activate.
I believe this is correct. I have not tested it personally but that is what I have read.

pretty much this. Also if the infiltration Shadow uses CT to get guard, his Dps will tank and his threat will skyrocket, leading him to pull of the tank and get gibbed, so all in all REALLY not worth trying ;)

Warhammer Online is where the Guard mechanic came from. I can't say for sure what happens in TOR, but in WAR Guarding an already guarded target would do nothing execpt for possibly making it easier for at least one of the tanks to be in guard range of their ally. But they'd only actually get the effects of 1 Guard.

Guard damage itself was completely unmitigable, meaning that if a tank who was guarding someone was themselves guarded, the guard on the tank would do nothing against the incoming guard damage. It is worth nothing that Guard damage could be blocked and parried though.