The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Darth Vader vs Darth Nox

BacaWicket

However it could be. Also class specific story could be coming back down the road. Plus there is the fallout from the Sith Inquisitor side mission on Rishi. Sure you can have a spirited debate but you also have to start defining which "Nox" we are talking about even now. This is the problem with debating the power of a character who's story may not be finished.

Personally dont count Rishi either, the "color brigade" knows this, its a point of contention with me. To me the class quests ended at 50, all FP, OPs, Planet quests are all canon, but not canon to any of the PC is question, even rishi has largely the same results, you go there do some random stuff that all leads to the same conclusion, you finding out about revan, it leads to a confrontation with revan and you get a promotion. The story hits all the same beats, as far as i am concerned this is all preludes to the Outlander, and thus Non-canon to Nox, Wrath, HoT, Barsenthor, Havoc Squad, Cipher Nine, The winner of the great hunt, and (what ever people call the smuggler). The class you take there is choice, and all choice is non-canon. Its no different then when you see a Jedi Knight in PvP not all 5 JK's that you see in PvP are the HoT, they are just 5 Jedi Knights, the only character canon to YOUR story is you, but since YOU changes dependent on the player YOU are not any of the PC in question after the class quest that ended at 50 is done, but again this is a contention between myself and several others on this board, so probably isnt relevant to this debate :D

Edited by tunewalker

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally dont count Rishi either, the "color brigade" knows this, its a point of contention with me. To me the class quests ended at 50, all FP, OPs, Planet quests are all canon, but not canon to any of the PC is question, even rishi has largely the same results, you go there do some random stuff that all leads to the same conclusion, you finding out about revan, it leads to a confrontation with revan and you get a promotion. The story hits all the same beats, as far as i am concerned this is all preludes to the Outlander, and thus Non-canon to Nox, Wrath, HoT, Barsenthor, Havoc Squad, Cipher Nine, The winner of the great hunt, and (what ever people call the smuggler). The class you take there is choice, and all choice is non-canon. Its no different then when you see a Jedi Knight in PvP not all 5 JK's that you see in PvP are the HoT, they are just 5 Jedi Knights, the only character canon to YOUR story is you, but since YOU changes dependent on the player YOU are not any of the PC in question after the class quest that ended at 50 is done, but again this is a contention between myself and several others on this board, so probably isnt relevant to this debate :D

The Smuggler is the Space Hound.

Right I get personal choice and the individual choices of the player are not necessarily the canonical choices of the character. When I rp my sith sorcerer, he isn't Nox at all. His story is completely different. That does not mean there is not an actual Nox out there. Wookiepedia goes over the story of Nox that is pretty much accepted as canon. And for the point of debates like making any sense, the canon version of Nox is used. It was done with prior big name video game characters like Revan and the Exile. Your story with them is yours, almost like fan fiction in a way. There is still a canon version that may very well differ.

Who knows where the story of Nox or any of the others will end up. You can debate Nox's or Vader's power at any point in their lives you like but we honestly do not have the whole story yet.

Right I get personal choice and the individual choices of the player are not necessarily the canonical choices of the character. When I rp my sith sorcerer, he isn't Nox at all. His story is completely different. That does not mean there is not an actual Nox out there. Wookiepedia goes over the story of Nox that is pretty much accepted as canon. And for the point of debates like making any sense, the canon version of Nox is used. It was done with prior big name video game characters like Revan and the Exile. Your story with them is yours, almost like fan fiction in a way. There is still a canon version that may very well differ.

Who knows where the story of Nox or any of the others will end up. You can debate Nox's or Vader's power at any point in their lives you like but we honestly do not have the whole story yet.

My main logical problem with arguing about the player characters is due to the gameplay and game limitations it's hard to say for sure just how powerful they are. Can Nox produce lightning strong enough to char people down to the bone or ashes? It's possible but there's no evidence of this because we don't see it. Doesn't mean he can't but just because there's no evidence that he can't doesn't make that evidence that means he can. What's the heaviest object the Sith Warrior can lift? Exactly how fast is the Warrior or Nox? Is Nox skilled in the use of a double bladed lightsaber or when the npcs talk to you when you get the imperial ship does that count as class story quest?

Is the warrior a hulking tank as well as a dual wielding whirlwind of blades? Nox spirits can keep him alive does this save him from decapitation, explosions, or otherwise? How much exact punishment can Wrath take? These are all unknowns. It's really hard to debate against established characters with plethora of feats, books, and comics to draw from but it doesn't mean they're weaker than these characters either. I just feel that there's not enough evidence one way or another.

The exception to this is Revan and the Emperor which have enough material that we can really draw examples from.

Except biowares stance on characters in this game, unlike revan and Meetra, is there IS NO Canon version of the characters. If you read the stuff on Wookie, they straight out say they are making ASSUMPTIONS about the canon version of the character, but that it is of course subject to change. It becomes even more conveluted with the Outlander as the outlander can be any 1 of the 8 player characters. As such, as bioware said in their stance on these things, your choice of which class to bring is ALSO a choice and thus "non-canon". There are still some of the same story beats whether or not you are Imperious, Occulus or Nox, so there is definately a "canon" for the character but Rishi is not one of them to me, as its the prelude to the "outlander" where the class that gets the premotion is the class you CHOSE to bring.

The Outlander: your character’s past will be a key part of their identity as the Outlander moving forward. The choices you’ve made, romances you’ve pursued, your class, etc are all a part of who your character is, and those decisions will be honored in KOTFE; often in unexpected ways. How that works for characters who are created at level 60 is something we’ll dive into in the future, but we will not be setting a “canon” version of any class or world storyline. Your choices matter – that’s at the heart of our storytelling philosophy at BioWare.

(note there is a seperation of class and world even.)

Edited by tunewalker

Except biowares stance on characters in this game, unlike revan and Meetra, is there IS NO Canon version of the characters. If you read the stuff on Wookie, they straight out say they are making ASSUMPTIONS about the canon version of the character, but that it is of course subject to change. It becomes even more conveluted with the Outlander as the outlander can be any 1 of the 8 player characters. As such, as bioware said in their stance on these things, your choice of which class to bring is ALSO a choice and thus "non-canon". There are still some of the same story beats whether or not you are Imperious, Occulus or Nox, so there is definately a "canon" for the character but Rishi is not one of them to me, as its the prelude to the "outlander" where the class that gets the premotion is the class you CHOSE to bring.

(note there is a seperation of class and world even.)

I'll answer all three posts here.

Nice catch Selenial

Rhyltran, I agree that video game characters are not the best choices for debates like these. I was saying that characters in an mmo that is still going on make even worse choices. The characters from the game may someday get the Revan treatment. Debating their power level before their story is finished is fine but not a real measure of their power.

Tunewalker, I said the wookiepedia articles are pretty much accepted as canon not that they were. I know Bioware's stance and who can say what they will do down the road. Nox may get a novel as well. And if there is no canon then there is no debate. I am saying wait till Nox is actually set in canon in some way or they are done telling stories about Nox before debating power level.

As to the point about Rishi, we all know the difference between world and class storylines. It is even in the quest type. However world stories, including Rishi's or Yavin 4's are not the point. None off them are in fact. If class quests and the associated cutscenes are Nox's story then it does not end with Chapter 3 because Rishi has a class quest for the sith inquisitor. If you are using any of the class content then you need to use it all. Also there may very well be more.

Now if you want to debate Nox's power level now, a simple solution is to say something like the Sith Inquisitor just as they ascend to the Dark Council vs Darth Vader in ROTJ.

In the end though I think it highlights the problem others have said very well. the main characters in SWTOR are really not the best fodder for debates. Hell honestly Vader may be iffy as well till we see what Disney is going to do with the OT period. Though Rebels does not seem to be messing with his power level so far.

Edited by divinecynic