The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Sith and being ruled by the dark side

MasterFeign

One thing I never fully understood was the nature of the dark side. Looking up in the wookiepedia it seems to suggest that the dark side (like the light side) has a nature of its own, seemingly "wanting" to corrupt dark force users. So in such a way, could we blame the dark side entity because of this? Could the same be considered of the light side? Does free will get thrown out the window as a result?

Another thing I find interesting is when various people tell their underlings to use their emotions such as hate and fear towards an enemy to fuel their dark side powers. While this makes sense, you get characters like the emperor who probably wouldn't use either to fuel his dark sidedness, but instead (to which I assume) through the use of passion.

This whole black or white issue probably even has some canon characters shaking their head as to why both should still exist...

Any thoughts or insights to this matter?

In regards to your Dark Side philosophy question I'd look at this page on Wookie or read the Darth Bane Path of Destruction book (very good book in my opinion). http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Revan%27s_Sith_Holocron

From Darth Revan's Holocron:

I am Darth Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith. Those who use the dark side are also bound to serve it. To understand this is to understand the underlying philosophy of the Sith. The dark side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must seek power above all else, with no reservation or hesitation. The Force will change you. It will transform you. Some fear this change. The teachings of the Jedi are focused on fighting and controlling this transformation. That is why those who serve the light are limited in what they accomplish....

True power can come only to those who embrace the transformation. There can be no compromise. Mercy, compassion, loyalty: all these things will prevent you from claiming what is rightfully yours. Those who follow the dark side must cast aside these conceits. Those who do not—those who try to walk the path of moderation—will fail, dragged down by their own weakness. Those who accept the power of the dark side must also accept the challenge of holding on to it. By its very nature the dark side invites rivalry and strife. This is the greatest strength of the Sith: it culls the weak from our order. Yet this rivalry can also be our greatest weakness. The strong must be careful lest they be overwhelmed by the ambitions of those working beneath them in concert. Any master who instructs more than one apprentice in the ways of the dark side is a fool. In time, the apprentices will unite their strengths and overthrow the master. It is inevitable; axiomatic. That is why each Master must have only one student.

In regards to the Emperor and emotions. I'm pretty sure he is really afraid of death and this fear will fuel his power. He is also extremely sadistic and the fear and suffering he inflicts on others fuels his own power. I'm sure he's angry at and hates the Jedi and Republic but it is the former two characteristics that are often detailed more I believe.