Pugging Draxus

Main question: Has anyone successfully pugged draxus and if so how was the fight explained.

I've been able to complete the dread fortress successfully with my guild but I've now gotten into 4 different pug runs on alts (to do the storyline) with disastrous results. The first boss is a pushover but once we hit draxus, everything hits the fan. I'm looking for a better (simpler) way to explain the adds and wave mechanics.

P.s. Wish everyone who wanted to raid would at least learn what their interrupt skill is.

Haven't fully pugged it, but got about 4 people last time. I set myself and another dps I knew to Liet. and we key-bound a mark (Star and Bolt were the easiest to see IMO). The certain DPS were assigned to only attack the mark when that was up. Felt like that's the simplest way of going about that fight after giving a general explanation.

I've done it. 16 man, if it still counts.

We two-shorted him, and we won with "minimal" casualties. We brought a lot of scoundrels for stealth revives. I'm afraid I can't offer much Of a guide, since I am a tank, my role was really just to stand still with my half of the group and wait for adds to spawn. Even the other tank just took Draxus, so I didn't do well.

What I can say is that make sure your better geared tank and half your DPS (preferably the melee) are on draxus whenever he comes out. I say your better geared one, because they'll probably be tanking some adds at the moment too. Keep a dedicated healer on that tank!

Other than that, a useful tip is that the subteroths don't explode on death if killed by a knockback. Alternatively, if that KO knockback is sent when they have too high health, you may have just thrown a subteroth bomb at your friend.

I've pugged it twice on SM 16M. First week, we wiped a couple times before we got him down, the second week was a one-shot. For the second week, we basically assigned dps pairs to the east, west, and south corruptor spawns. It helped that everyone was rather overgeared for the instance, so we had enough dps that we could afford to err on the side of caution when it came to anticipating corruptor spawns, even if it resulted in lower dps. For the Guardians, most dps focused one down, while one or two dps engaged the other one to make sure it didn't get off a cast.

edit: So I'd say the most important thing when explaining it to a pug group is to pre-assign tasks (especially if not everyone in the group has mumble/teamspeak/etc.) and make sure people are always ready for the next phase (especially being aware of when corruptors and guardians spawn).

Edited by Delta_V

Yep. Pugging 16-man on HM (and SM) is quite easy, since there are enough people to deal with all the interrupts, DoTs and other mechanics. It doesn't matter if a few dps get the kill/interrupt order wrong, you should still be ok.

In 8-man, however, it's really, really rough. Even with voice chat, players aren't going to remember a pre-fight briefing that details a strat involving 9 phases. Hell, Operator 9 has effectively only 5 phases (four colors + boss) and getting pugs to remember that is like herding cats.

That said, as the operation gets older and a "one true way" of doing the fight is established, it might get easier. In particular, the interrupting of the corruptors, dealing with the dismantler's strong swipe mechanic and cleansing Draxus' DoT are usually the sticking points in pugs. Once people get used to those, it should get easier.

So tried to 8man sm pug last night on my healer. We actually did were making it through the waves but we kept hitting the enrage right before wave 9. I think the dps kept slowing down on the 2 guardian phase. Not enough focus.

What we did was have 1 dps set to always go left/right/south. The OT would normally go left and the 4th dps would go right. When the two corrupters spawned to the south the OT and 4th dps would head that way to help interrupt them.

We stressed the importance of interrupting the corruptors and after the first time it wiped the raid, we never had a problem with it until phase 8, but we were able to split the raid and heal through it easily. The only other issue I saw as a healer is that the dps weren't seperating the subertooths from the raid before killing causing stress on me and the other healer.

I've come to realize that the more I run it, the less chaotic it seems. I think that is the main barrier to entry is having the knowledge of the fight. I just wanted to share what I learned as there are lots of people wanting to run the new ops and if anyone has a better strat please share.

So tried to 8man sm pug last night on my healer. We actually did were making it through the waves but we kept hitting the enrage right before wave 9. I think the dps kept slowing down on the 2 guardian phase. Not enough focus.

What we did was have 1 dps set to always go left/right/south. The OT would normally go left and the 4th dps would go right. When the two corrupters spawned to the south the OT and 4th dps would head that way to help interrupt them.

We stressed the importance of interrupting the corruptors and after the first time it wiped the raid, we never had a problem with it until phase 8, but we were able to split the raid and heal through it easily. The only other issue I saw as a healer is that the dps weren't seperating the subertooths from the raid before killing causing stress on me and the other healer.

I've come to realize that the more I run it, the less chaotic it seems. I think that is the main barrier to entry is having the knowledge of the fight. I just wanted to share what I learned as there are lots of people wanting to run the new ops and if anyone has a better strat please share.

First thing is if you're not getting enough DPS before wave 9, then the DPS are probably not going straight to the boss after dropping priority adds like corrupter's. They literally need to ignore everything else and go straight to the boss while he's out after they've dropped the priority adds. The thing I see going wrong in pugs is for example in wave 3 when you got two lightning adds and a corrupter each side, some DPS will clear all the adds pushing into the next wave with two priority dismantlers to deal with while the boss is still out. If you push into the wave too early the boss would most likely disappear before you've dealt with those dismantlers as well. People need to literally take advantage of every window they get with the boss and killing non priority adds like dispatchers, subers or bulwarks early isn't going to help with that window.

Secondly for the subertooths, one of the tanks should be separating them from the group, not the DPS. In fact DPS should be keeping their distance as much as possible.

8m SM of Dread Fortress is currently bugged. We were pushing Draxus below 20% before wave 9 and he was not dropping when he was supposed to towards the end of wave 8, and when he did drop and wave 9 he was immediately enraged and invulnerable to any damage. There's currently a patch going out on the 15th, but as of right now 8m SM is impossible to do, and from reading the patch notes I'm not even sure that they are addressing the issue in the patch.

8m SM of Dread Fortress is currently bugged. We were pushing Draxus below 20% before wave 9 and he was not dropping when he was supposed to towards the end of wave 8, and when he did drop and wave 9 he was immediately enraged and invulnerable to any damage. There's currently a patch going out on the 15th, but as of right now 8m SM is impossible to do, and from reading the patch notes I'm not even sure that they are addressing the issue in the patch.

its not impossible. many people have killed him, me included.

but he IS bugged and he's damn hard to kill on 8 man story and should be (hopefully) fixed tomorrow, because right now healing him is giving me heart palpitations.