The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Fleet battles Round 1 Battle 3 Tunewalker vs Karadron

LadyKulvax

The concussive missles I have are described as being able to cripple stardestroyers in a single Volley hitting a weak point on a smaller ship and destroying it in that same manner should be more then enough punch. Also this doesn't appear to be the Imperial Remnant this Appears to be the GCW era empire as the Terror was captured by New Republic and turned into another ship.

And where is this source about a secondary Bridge. Either way taking time to reroute power after the first volley means its not firing on anything the Cruisers are still destroyed and while they cant do anything they are getting blasted to bits by my ships.

I say we wait for an official technology call before we get into an argument over it.

On the secondary bridges, it was pretty much a consensus on the last debate about it. And I won't have a problem with rerouting power if I begin the battle with the secondary bridge up and running from the beginning, with the primary one as a decoy.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say we wait for an official technology call before we get into an argument over it.

On the secondary bridges, it was pretty much a consensus on the last debate about it. And I won't have a problem with rerouting power if I begin the battle with the secondary bridge up and running from the beginning, with the primary one as a decoy.

Can you do that while the primary is up? I would think people would have done it if that was the case, I don't know but I doubt it.

It can be done very quickly if the primary is up, but it can also be done if the primary is destroyed, just not as quickly.

Secondary is usually used only once primary is destroyed due to Captain's being very over confident and neglecting it. However, if the primary is destroyed, more often than not the Captain is killed and the rest of the crew must regain control, so they engage the secondary.

Edited by Silenceo

It can be done very quickly if the primary is up, but it can also be done if the primary is destroyed, just not as quickly.

Secondary is usually used only once primary is destroyed due to Captain's being very over confident and neglecting it. However, if the primary is destroyed, more often than not the Captain is killed and the rest of the crew must regain control, so they engage the secondary.

Still kind of waiting on that source that the secondary even exists.

If i remember correctly it is mentioned in the novelization of ROTJ, as well as in one of the X-wing books, the one where they are undercover and posing as imperials.

I believe it was Selenial that had the exact reference memorized.

Edited by Silenceo

If i remember correctly it is mentioned in the novelization of ROTJ, as well as in one of the X-wing books, the one where they are undercover and posing as imperials.

I believe it was Selenial that had the exact reference memorized.

I don't recall it in RotJ Novel... I can see if I cant find it, but I don't remember that one. The x-wing book is a possibility though.

I think it was mixed into the reason why the Executor nose dived after its primary bridge was taken out. The Gravity of the death star drew it in before the crew was able to activate its secondary bridge to regain control of the engines.

So here's a new strategy I've been dabbling with:

At the beginning of the battle my fleet will be centered around the Terror, only deploying my Phantoms. As Tune’s fleet comes in my fleet will wait for the fighters to come nearly into range, since they are the fastest ships he has they’ll hit first, and if they don’t then right before his fleet comes into range mine will jump behind and below the engines of Tunes fleet, where they will quickly deploy their bombers to take out the engines of the Nebulas, while the Terror makes a jump right that will put it right below the Krakana where it can bring fire all of its weapons with impunity.

With my fleet suddenly behind them Tune’s will have to spend time turning his fleet, while the positioning of mine will allow my ships to fire as they turn around. As well the sudden jump will allow me to much more easily take out the engines on the Nebulas by practically placing them much nearer to my ships than having to fly around the destroyer.

As the fleets converge, again, the Phantoms will have been boxing in Tune’s fighters and bombers forcing them into a fight with mine and keeping them from getting near my bigger ships. While my bombers focus the engines on the Nebulas my ships will focus on taking out the corvettes, since they will be the first of Tunes ships that will pose a problem for my fleet.

With the Nebulas crippled my ships will focus fire down the corvettes, which will be made even easier with Slave 1’s seismic charges. Then shifting focus to the Novas once the corvettes are gone.

Once the Novas are down, my fleet will focus down each of the Nebulas from behind, since their engines will have been take out. This will leave only the Krakana which won’t be able to hold against the firepower of my remaining fleet.

Wouldn't his frigates *the Nova's* have the same weakness of a Nebulon-B due to the skinny mid section? A few good missiles there might be able to kill the entire crew.

they do not share that weakness thanks to their speed and their armor and that their midsection isn't that skinny. So no, its not a marked weak point unlike the known weak points noted in the Strike-class or the Imp II that I talked about.

It may not be listed as a weak point, but let us take what we know of Hapans ships, even after they got upgraded by the republic...

They tend to have weaker armor, and prefer quick brutal strikes such as ambushes.

It has the brutal part in its armarments, but it also has the lack of armor in the fact it has very little armor in the mid section at all, i mean look at it. It looks like a pencil with heavily fortified pieces on either end.

It is that inbetween section i am talking about, it is slightly thicker than that of a Nebulon-B, but not much. This is like saying a Muscled Kamianoian does not have a vulnerable long neck. Yes, they may be able to beat the snot out of you if they don't get hit there, but if they do, they fall over dead easily.

Yes, it is heavily armed, yes it is pretty fast, yes, the neck is easily a weakpoint. If that section go breached or hit hard enough, it isnt that far of a stretch of the imagination that something running between the bridge and the rest of the ship gets damaged. Be it a simple cord, or perhaps the hull there gets pierced, or maybe even the bridge gets snapped off from the rest of the body.

Edit: The bridge is a weak point on every single ship in the Star Wars galaxy, it is not unique to the Star Destroyer line, but even though the Bridge is elevated and can easily be hit, we have already gone over, in both this debate and the one between Beni and I, how Star Destroyers all have secondary bridges that they can fall back on should the first one be compromised. It is by no means a decapitate blow, it is like a stun, it lasts for a small time then it is over and it is back into fighting condition.

Edited by Silenceo

they do not share that weakness thanks to their speed and their armor and that their midsection isn't that skinny. So no, its not a marked weak point unlike the known weak points noted in the Strike-class or the Imp II that I talked about.

At it's smallest point the vertical length of the Novas is roughly 15 meters thick, I'd call that a weak point.

Edited by karadron

Now that the Kaggath is all but finished, Tunewalker you can go full debate mode here now, I thought I'd wait till that point before I asked for the debate to really kick into gear, but thanks to the three of you for keeping it going.

thanks Rayla :) I will go into more tonight likely.

I asked them to start this debate properly, neither of them apparently want to.

i'm sorry Rayla I told you I will and I am going to. Later tonight or here in a little bit I will get to it. I always intended to but life and such has been getting in the way.

OK here we go a little bit, first take a good hard look at the Nova vs the Nebulon You will notice the Nebulon is fat at the front AND at the back causing that midsection to be some what exposed by comparison as its not able to turn as quickly as the Nova nor can all its guns reach that area to defend it. The Nova on the other hand has a majority of its guns on the back portion of it facing forward meaning that the only way to get a good shot at its "weak points" is to go through the hail bolts of deathly fire that it rains in that direction as cover fire. Further more getting to the rear of ships that are more maneuverable is going to be incredibly difficult, and by the time you have gotten Tie Bombers back there to do any kind of real damage my ships will have already done everything I would have needed them to with 1 of your Imp duecs being LoSed and the rest of your ships being hit in their exposed weak points by missles from my more maneuverable capital ships.

By having your ships all around each other it puts them into perfect position for the Krakkana to Akbar slash the group and having all of my other ships on he right hand side cutting off half of your forces allowing the Krakkana to tank some of your forces while others are stuck LoSed on the other side of the Terror and even more are now cut off from the Terror caught betweenthe Krakanna and the entire rest of my fleet causing them to go down extremely fast.

As far as your fighters go I will cover that tomorrow night or afternoon depending on when I can post again.

Sadly yes, it can not differentiate between friend and foe, it will likely be like throwing grenades at groups of swordsmen who are fighting each other, likely taking both sides down in the blast.

Well, my question was rhetorical, but thank you for reinforcing my point.

I wonder which smilie would be good for pointing out rhetorical questions...

Sadly yes, it can not differentiate between friend and foe, it will likely be like throwing grenades at groups of swordsmen who are fighting each other, likely taking both sides down in the blast.

another problem with that is we have to remember the skies will be thicker with his fighters then it will be with mine because of this it is more likely he will take out more of his own then he will take out mine. I intend to get into all of the fighter disparity but I have been really busy I am sorry about that.

Yes, but I'm using them by his larger ships to try and minimalize friendly fire. Anyways I intend to use my Phantoms to keep the fighter battle fairly centralized and away from most of the larger ships.

Also I'm really busy right now so I probably wont be able to post all that often. :(

Edited by karadron