The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Fleet battles Round 1 Battle 3 Tunewalker vs Karadron

LadyKulvax

This battle sees the New Republic battle the Imperial Remnant in a war of goliaths.

Tunewalker:

Flagship: Krakana Viscount-class Star Defender.

Capital: Nebula-class star destroyer.(3)

Frigate: Hapes Nova-class Battle Cruiser(6)

Corvette: Warrior-class gunship(8)

Fighter Wing: Wraith Squadron

Freighter: Millennium Falcon

Karadron:

Flagship:Terror Executor-class Star Dreadnought(No cloaking device)

Capital Ships: Imperial II Star Destroyer(3)

Frigates: Strike-class cruiser(6)

Corvettes: Corellian Gunship(8)

Fighter Wing: Black Eight Squadron

Freighter: Slave 1

The classic battle of the NJO era, who will come out on top? which will prevail the Executor-class or the Viscount-class? will the Falcon face Slave 1 once again? you decide in the debate!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This battle sees the New Republic battle the Imperial Remnant in a war of goliaths.

Tunewalker:

Flagship: Krakana Viscount-class Star Defender.

Capital: Nebula-class star destroyer.(3)

Frigate: Hapes Nova-class Battle Cruiser(6)

Corvette: Warrior-class gunship(8)

Fighter Wing: Wraith Squadron

Freighter: Millennium Falcon

Karadron:

Flagship:Terror Executor-class Star Dreadnought(No cloaking device)

Capital Ships: Imperial II Star Destroyer(3)

Frigates: Strike-class cruiser(6)

Corvettes: Corellian Gunship(8)

Fighter Wing: Black Eight Squadron

Freighter: Slave 1

The classic battle of the NJO era, who will come out on top? which will prevail the Executor-class or the Viscount-class? will the Falcon face Slave 1 once again? you decide in the debate!

This is classic as hell I am going to have to give this some thought on how I am going to fight this one but off the top of my head I think I have a slight speed advantage as all of my ships are slightly smaller and more maneuverable. Also I think I have a slightly better fighter wing because the Squad I am using acts as both a extremely skilled fighter squad and a skill commando boarding strike team as well. Everything is just to classic to judge right now but I will get to debating once I have more thought.

While I think Kara has the numerical Fighter superiority its clear all he has is tie fighters and since the numerical advantage in that department is so small I feel I do have figher superiority thanks to mine being a much wider set of fighters and bombers most having shields.

Edit: this fighter advantage with the larger ships means he will suffer from vunerability to http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Trench_Run_Defense

Edited by tunewalker

A final nail (and I believe Nail in the Cofin weakness) all of the enemy ships are missing any form of Point defense or missile defense systems save for the Executor itself. All of these ships (save for the executor itself and the corvette's) are vunerable to Trench run disease meaning the only thing that can stop bombers from tearing them apart are their own fighter's and none of them (including the Corvette's) have any kind of defense against Missiles making the Assault concussive Missiles used by my Nova-classes particularly deadly to enemy ships. Along with K-wings equipped with http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-33_plasma_torpedo and http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Miy%27til_assault_bomber who's incredible speed means the enemy will not be expecting their heavy payloads allowing me to cripple the larger ships with relative ease.

Edit: looks like no one is here Rayla lol :D

Edited by tunewalker

Wow, Karadron's fleet looks a lot like mine...Ah well, this ought to get good! Though, I do wonder what the difference in fighter compliments between the Viscount and the Executor classes is, that could play a large role.

If i remember right, for Viscount it has 3 wings, or about 180 star fighters. Though it also lists 216 other smaller crafts that is its standard compliment. I am unsure if they are separate or if they are meant to be grouped together. Potential for 396 total?

Executor class has 144 minimum with capacity for thousands. Food for thought.

Edited by Silenceo

Wow, Karadron's fleet looks a lot like mine...Ah well, this ought to get good! Though, I do wonder what the difference in fighter compliments between the Viscount and the Executor classes is, that could play a large role.

If i remember right, for Viscount it has 3 wings, or about 180 star fighters. Though it also lists 216 other smaller crafts that is its standard compliment. I am unsure if they are separate or if they are meant to be grouped together. Potential for 396 total?

Executor class has 144 minimum with capacity for thousands. Food for thought.

They are essentially about the same in the carrying capacity when an executor holds that many fighters it forgoes a lot of the ground and shuttle craft support ships of Which the Viscount is capable of as well. Ultimately they have a near identical fighter compliment though the Executor can likely have slightly more this still doesn't change my assessment of the fighters here though the numbers difference is incredibly small with maybe a single wing difference between the 2. The quality difference though is much larger and in My favor do to shielding and Larger variety of both Bomber types and Fighter Superiority types meaning like I said I should have the fighter Supperiority here.

Straight from the wiki regarding the fighter compliments:

Executor: A minimum of 144 starfighters were carried onboard Executor-class vessels;[24] but the massive hangars could hold thousands.[15][11] In addition to fighters, the Executor-class also carried a large number of landing craft, dropships, ground armor and two prefabricated garrison bases.

Viscount: Ships of the class could carry hundreds of starfighters, as well as dozens of small support vessels,[6] including frigate-sized ships.[7] The class was also fitted with enough life pods to carry the crews of the ship itself, and also those of whatever smaller support vessels were carried at the time. This totaled a passenger-capacity of 500,000 individuals. The ship was also equipped with enough repair droids to cover the entire vessel during emergency repairs.

No where do i see the possibility for a Viscount to carry thousands of star fighters like the Executor. It specifically states hundreds, not thousands.Also, the extra 2,000 length may allow for more storage space for the Executor class, as well as the fact that the Viscount seemed dedicated to supporting large amounts of people as well as medical supplies and enough escape pods for the entire crew. While they both seem to carry similar amounts of weaponry and similar sizes, their fighter compliments certainly do not appear to be the same sizes due to how each class was configured.

Just wanted to toss Karadron some ammunition, now time for me to just watch. : )

Edited by Silenceo

Straight from the wiki regarding the fighter compliments:

Executor: A minimum of 144 starfighters were carried onboard Executor-class vessels;[24] but the massive hangars could hold thousands.[15][11] In addition to fighters, the Executor-class also carried a large number of landing craft, dropships, ground armor and two prefabricated garrison bases.

Viscount: Ships of the class could carry hundreds of starfighters, as well as dozens of small support vessels,[6] including frigate-sized ships.[7] The class was also fitted with enough life pods to carry the crews of the ship itself, and also those of whatever smaller support vessels were carried at the time. This totaled a passenger-capacity of 500,000 individuals. The ship was also equipped with enough repair droids to cover the entire vessel during emergency repairs.

No where do i see the possibility for a Viscount to carry thousands of star fighters like the Executor. It specifically states hundreds, not thousands.Also, the extra 2,000 length may allow for more storage space for the Executor class, as well as the fact that the Viscount seemed dedicated to supporting large amounts of people as well as medical supplies and enough escape pods for the entire crew. While they both seem to carry similar amounts of weaponry and similar sizes, their fighter compliments certainly do not appear to be the same sizes due to how each class was configured.

Just wanted to toss Karadron some ammunition, now time for me to just watch. : )

Yes but those thousands could only be held if they forgoed the rest of the landing craft. Technically if the Viscount Forgoed the landing craft and escape vessels it could to the same. Honestly though I would figure we were going with standard compliments and not those thousands of star fighters so he really should only have the 144 with mine having a similar compliment as those were the standard configurations.

Edit: it should be noted Silenco that along with the Bounty the Lunsakya was one of my back up choices could I not get this. lol

Edited by tunewalker

Fighter compliments:

Krakana: 430.

Terror: 630.

These were the compliments each of these ships used in battle, so that is what the compliments will be.

However, the Terror had squadrons of TIE Defenders and TIE Avengers on top of the normal Fighters, Interceptors and Bombers, so things are going to be nasty.

Fighter compliments:

These were the compliments each of these ships used in battle, so that is what the compliments will be.

However, the Terror had squadrons of TIE Defenders and TIE Avengers on top of the normal Fighters, Interceptors and Bombers, so things are going to be nasty.

Yes but they were only a few squads and the rest of the fighters lack shields while the Krakana's used E-wings, XJ series X-wings, as well as B-wings and A-wings. So numerically again they have a slight advantage on but my fighter compliment is a bit heartier and with the Defender-class fighters, K-wings, Miy'til fighters, and Miy'til assault bombers of my other ships rounding out my fighter compliment The numbers will count for not as I have generally the superior fighters classes.

Fighter compliments:

Not to mention TIE Phantoms.:D

Anyways the Defender pilots are some of the best in the Empire, and the Defenders themselves are more than a match for and of the other fighters here.

Edited by karadron

Oh yeh good point, I forget about those all the time.

Also I was incorrect earlier it wasn't squadrons, it was Fighter Wings, which usually range in-between 3-7 squadrons.

ok by that fact that is most of what they are using ok will get back one moment need to think and calculate some stuff.

Opening thoughts: Troll shields and repair droids, the viscount only really needs to play the waiting game to win this one.

Nebulas were very well armoured, very strong, and INCREDIBLY mobile, manoeuvrable and everything...

Use them wisely tune.

Personally, I think they're of better design than the Imperial 2's...

Opening thoughts: Troll shields and repair droids, the viscount only really needs to play the waiting game to win this one.

Nebulas were very well armoured, very strong, and INCREDIBLY mobile, manoeuvrable and everything...

Use them wisely tune.

Personally, I think they're of better design than the Imperial 2's...

Thanks Selenial I will try to...... Ok so we may be about even in fighters the thing is fighter superiority is not just about who can win against other fighters but how well those fighters can defend the larger ships and since my ships don't have as much vunerability to bombers or fighters and they can actually assist in the destruction of fighters I feel the extra numbers are still not enough to gain Karadron Fighter superiority...... that's my thoughts on it for now still trying to decide how I am going to use my smaller ships.

Thanks Selenial I will try to...... Ok so we may be about even in fighters the thing is fighter superiority is not just about who can win against other fighters but how well those fighters can defend the larger ships and since my ships don't have as much vunerability to bombers or fighters and they can actually assist in the destruction of fighters I feel the extra numbers are still not enough to gain Karadron Fighter superiority...... that's my thoughts on it for now still trying to decide how I am going to use my smaller ships.

Tbh, I'd let the viscount go toe to toe with the Terror, send your ships after his fleet.

The executor won't take out anywhere near enough of the viscount, if any of it, before your fleet mops up his. The falcon has the capabilities of a great fighter killer, with it's many different turrets... You have better defense capabilities, and arguably superior Capital ships...

oh and it should be noted that when I chose the Nova's I specified that they were the more up to date version with the Mon Cal shield design and the upgraded turbo lasers but it lost then 1 squad of fighters. just a note everyone thinking about this should consider.

Tbh, I'd let the viscount go toe to toe with the Terror, send your ships after his fleet.

The executor won't take out anywhere near enough of the viscount, if any of it, before your fleet mops up his. The falcon has the capabilities of a great fighter killer, with it's many different turrets... You have better defense capabilities, and arguably superior Capital ships...

I was thinking about that and trying to preform an Akbar Slash with my faster Nebula's since they are the faster ships and their smaller size would make such a maneuver much more effective. After trying to use my Warrior ships and Nova-class to hit the Corvette's to eliminate his ships abilities to defend against bombers. With their superior speed they could come in hit the Corvettes and then move to support the Nebula's with the Cruiser's and star destroyers and with the only capital ships capable of destroying bombers gone and the Executor-class busy Tusseling with the Viscount-class my fast moving bombers and my heavy bombers would all be free to take advantage of the remaining ships Trench Run Disease vunerability.

Having fully read the Terror's appearances and in one case, played through, it is clear that the majority of the Terror's compliment was TIE Phantoms, Avengers and Defenders with TIE Fighters, Interceptors and Bombers used only on small missions.

I figured that when you said wings honestly.

Edit: I will do a full fighter head count and attempt an analisis of the effectiveness of the 2 groups of fighters to show why I still believe I have a slight fighter superiority when I get home from work need time to compile all of my thoughts.

Edited by tunewalker

On Fighter Superiority

My fleet has the superiority in this aspect due to several reasons namely, numbers, and the TIE variants at my disposal - especially the Defenders and Phantoms.

The fact that I have at my disposal roughly 200 more fighters is quite a big advantage, especially considering most of them are not standard TIEs but shielded variants. Overall being able to counter such a vast numerical difference will be difficult, if not impossible.

The TIE Defenders will make the number advantage even worse since they were designed to take on multiple fighters at once, not to mention its formidable armament. The fighter itself is more than capable of dealing with any of the fighters that come into play here, and the fact that it has shields will also give it more durability than a standard TIE would have. Also TIE Defenders were piloted only by the best pilots that the Empire had.

The TIE Phantoms will probably make the hugest impact on the battle due to the fact that they have a cloaking device, and also because

the vessels had a built-in mechanism that allowed the pilot to fire the fighter's lasers at any time, with the cloaking device being automatically shut off and turned back on after every volley. This allowed them to remain unseen until the moment of firing, thus getting the jump on their enemy, and to be virtually invisible the vast majority of the time, even during a dogfight.

Which can be used to great affect in the battle with the enemy fighters never knowing where these fighters are going to hit next.

On Fighter Superiority

My fleet has the superiority in this aspect due to several reasons namely, numbers, and the TIE variants at my disposal - especially the Defenders and Phantoms.

The fact that I have at my disposal roughly 200 more fighters is quite a big advantage, especially considering most of them are not standard TIEs but shielded variants. Overall being able to counter such a vast numerical difference will be difficult, if not impossible.

The TIE Defenders will make the number advantage even worse since they were designed to take on multiple fighters at once, not to mention its formidable armament. The fighter itself is more than capable of dealing with any of the fighters that come into play here, and the fact that it has shields will also give it more durability than a standard TIE would have. Also TIE Defenders were piloted only by the best pilots that the Empire had.

The TIE Phantoms will probably make the hugest impact on the battle due to the fact that they have a cloaking device, and also because

Which can be used to great affect in the battle with the enemy fighters never knowing where these fighters are going to hit next.

this is a near fair analysis but I would think you only have around 430 shielded fighters and the rest are unshielded the Terror had mostly shielded fighters not all shielded so all the rest would have been the unshielded Variant also I had ships that were meant to take on multiple fighters as well and yo have completely disregarded the effect of my capital ships on your fighters vs your capitalships effect on fighters. Nearly all of your ships can not hit fighters while most of mine can meaning I will be able to turn the slight Fighter advantage you have into a disadvantage as the fighters destroyed by my capital ships will turn the tables in my favor.

Edited by tunewalker

yo have completely disregarded the effect of my capital ships on your fighters vs your capitalships effect on fighters. Nearly all of your ships can not hit fighters while most of mine can meaning I will be able to turn the slight Fighter advantage you have into a disadvantage as the fighters destroyed by my capital ships will turn the tables in my favor.

Indeed I haven't, but I will now. Firstly there is no indication that the Nebula-class has anymore anti-fighter capabilities than the Imperial-II. Secondly my fleet has quite a bit of anti-fighter power.

The 450-meter long Strike-class was capable of challenging larger Alliance cruisers with its surprisingly heavy load of firepower, strong shields, and high sublight speed. Armaments included 20 turbolaser cannons, 10 turbolaser batteries, ten ion cannons, and some point-defense weapons.

the Corellian gunship was effective against both larger capital ships as well as starfighters, though it was primarily used against the latter.

So it would seem that my fleet is on even, if not slightly better, footing when it comes to dealing with fighters.

On another note it has come to my attention that often time TIE Avengers were armed with tractor beams, as were TIE Defenders which can also play into securing fighter superiority, considering that it will make it easier for them to line up their shots.