The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Trailer Armors. Trooper in particular...

MenofNumenor

Ok, so just for kicks I like to watch the trailers for SWTOR. I really, really, REALLY want the trooper armor that "Havoc" squad has in Return and Hope. The Stalwart Protector is close, but no special helmet and the shoulders aren't pronounced enough. In the trailers they have some shape to them. As well it'd be cool to have Nico's (Niko's?) attire, like the hat without the cloth underneath. C'mon Bioware! Finish the set!!!

Link's for armor:

Trailer Troopers: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?77882-Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Trooper-Havoc

Nico Okarr: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nico_Okarr?file=NicoOkarr******-Return.png

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nico_Okarr?file=NicoOkarr-Return.png

It's kinda weird that the Imp Agent didn't make an appearance, especially when they even hinted at classes, like Jace with the cannon and other troops with rifles; Malgus went from one saber to two indicating jug and marauder. but not important. C'mon Bioware, give us the armors (please).

Yush, I'd love to have the 'class representative's' armor

Empire:

Sith Warrior: Darth Malgus

Sith Inquisitor: Lord Vindican

Bounty Hunter: Shae Vizla

Imperial Agent: ?

Republic

Trooper: Jace Malcom

Jedi Knight: Master Ven Zallow

Jedi Consular: Satele Shan

Smuggler: Nicco Okarr

Not trying to rain on parades or anything, because I do like the idea of having access to the outfits used by some of the game's more iconic characters, but we actually HAVE a lot of these for the most part:

Sith Warrior: Darth Malgus. With the exception of the cape, the Sith Raider set is basically the same as Malgus's set. The mask is absent, but you can easily sub in something like the Fervent Battle headpiece.

Sith Inquisitor: Lord Vindican. Vindican's attire is similar to the Investigator's armor set. The colors aren't the same, but that could likely be fixed with dye modules.

Bounty Hunter: Shae Viszla. Color scheme aside, I'm pretty sure one of the BH legacy sets (Hunter's Exalted, I think) and Imp-side versions of some heavy armor sets already use this basic design, and dye modules could probably make a decent approximation of Viszla's version. Granted, I'm not aware of any adaptive versions of this set, so we WOULD need something new in order to use this look for anyone besides Bounty Hunters.

Imperial Agent: trailer-wise, I don't think we have any example Agents. Closest NPC I can think of is Moff Kilran, and the Clandestine Officer set is basically the same thing as what he wears anyway.

Trooper: Jace Malcom. Malcom's armor is hardly unique in any way; it looks pretty much like any other Trooper armor. Between the sheer number of Trooper sets (both heavy and adaptive armor) and existing dye modules, making an armor set that looks like his shouldn't be difficult.

Jedi Knight: Master Ven Zallow. Zallow, like Kao Cen Darach, uses a palette swap of an existing set design--Jedi Battlelord, Guardian's Exalted, and (for an adaptive variant) Valiant Jedi. As with other sets, dye modules likely exist to fix any differences in color scheme. Personally, for a Knight set, I'm still waiting for Orgus Din's set to make it into the game...

Jedi Consular: Satele Shan. I'll concede this one. We don't currently have anything in-game that looks like her outfit, and I wouldn't mind getting a player-wearable variant sometime soon.

Smuggler: Nico Okarr. Okarr's outfit reminds me of a lot of existing Smuggler sets, and at least one or two adaptive armor sets as well (don't know the names because I don't really like most of the Smuggler looks and don't pay attention to their names). I'm assuming you could grab one of those and just dye it to make it look like Okarr's; the only real issue would be the headpiece, as I'm not aware of any currently existing cowboy hats that don't also include the face mask.

In most of the above cases, the only thing missing is the names, with minor differences in color scheme (again, easily fixable in most cases) and a missing design element in a few others (not so easily fixable). If the devs did implement these sets, all you'd really be getting is palette swaps of existing sets that happen to have a famous character's name attached. Not that we haven't already gotten sets like that anyway; just saying...

Trooper: Jace Malcom. Malcom's armor is hardly unique in any way; it looks pretty much like any other Trooper armor. Between the sheer number of Trooper sets (both heavy and adaptive armor) and existing dye modules, making an armor set that looks like his shouldn't be difficult.

As for the ingame suits I agree, but the Trailer suit is much more detailed and looks way better. There's also a lot of gray color on the Trailer version that is not shown at all on the ingame version. The difference is especially visible when you look at the armor from behind:

If you look at these 2 pictures:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/OriontheHunter/media/trooper.png.html

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/swtor-stalwart-protector-armor-set-male1.jpg

Backplate:

The trailer version is more more detailed, there's a gray outline throughout most of the plate,

The ingame version is just white with a hint of detail at the same area where Trailer version has 2 round "somethings"

"Buttplate"

Trailer version has red and grey stripes

Ingame version is just plain white

Thigh plates:

Trailer version has red and gray stripes

Ingame version only has orange stripe at the bottom of the plate.

I know it's rather small details and all, but that's what makes the trailer armor look so much better than any Trooper armor ingame. If they actually took the Trailer armor and put it ingame I'd buy it straight away.

Not trying to rain on parades or anything, because I do like the idea of having access to the outfits used by some of the game's more iconic characters, but we actually HAVE a lot of these for the most part:

Sith Warrior: Darth Malgus. With the exception of the cape, the Sith Raider set is basically the same as Malgus's set. The mask is absent, but you can easily sub in something like the Fervent Battle headpiece.

Sith Inquisitor: Lord Vindican. Vindican's attire is similar to the Investigator's armor set. The colors aren't the same, but that could likely be fixed with dye modules.

Bounty Hunter: Shae Viszla. Color scheme aside, I'm pretty sure one of the BH legacy sets (Hunter's Exalted, I think) and Imp-side versions of some heavy armor sets already use this basic design, and dye modules could probably make a decent approximation of Viszla's version. Granted, I'm not aware of any adaptive versions of this set, so we WOULD need something new in order to use this look for anyone besides Bounty Hunters.

Imperial Agent: trailer-wise, I don't think we have any example Agents. Closest NPC I can think of is Moff Kilran, and the Clandestine Officer set is basically the same thing as what he wears anyway.

Jedi Knight: Master Ven Zallow. Zallow, like Kao Cen Darach, uses a palette swap of an existing set design--Jedi Battlelord, Guardian's Exalted, and (for an adaptive variant) Valiant Jedi. As with other sets, dye modules likely exist to fix any differences in color scheme. Personally, for a Knight set, I'm still waiting for Orgus Din's set to make it into the game...

Jedi Consular: Satele Shan. I'll concede this one. We don't currently have anything in-game that looks like her outfit, and I wouldn't mind getting a player-wearable variant sometime soon.

Smuggler: Nico Okarr. Okarr's outfit reminds me of a lot of existing Smuggler sets, and at least one or two adaptive armor sets as well (don't know the names because I don't really like most of the Smuggler looks and don't pay attention to their names). I'm assuming you could grab one of those and just dye it to make it look like Okarr's; the only real issue would be the headpiece, as I'm not aware of any currently existing cowboy hats that don't also include the face mask.

In most of the above cases, the only thing missing is the names, with minor differences in color scheme (again, easily fixable in most cases) and a missing design element in a few others (not so easily fixable). If the devs did implement these sets, all you'd really be getting is palette swaps of existing sets that happen to have a famous character's name attached. Not that we haven't already gotten sets like that anyway; just saying...

Darth Malgus: Yeah, but I think its fairly safe to say the set would look much, much, much more boss with the cape/hood, especially when a hood toggle is added.

Lord Vindican: True, I mainly put it there just because he's technically the 'mascot' of the class

Shae Vizla: The armor exists, but its a COMPLETELY different color scheme, so we still need her armor (hell, put her and Okarr in the game)

Jace Malcom: Already argued, and I'm fairly certain we have nothing like his helmet, and his armor is a darker orange/red

Master Ven Zallow: Same as Vindican

Satele Shan: Glad we agree :)

Niko Okarr: I'm fairly certain we have nothing like his coat, and like you said, his hat. We also have nothing like his awesome pistols, which actually have a thread of their own.

Darth Malgus: Yeah, but I think its fairly safe to say the set would look much, much, much more boss with the cape/hood, especially when a hood toggle is added.

Lord Vindican: True, I mainly put it there just because he's technically the 'mascot' of the class

Shae Vizla: The armor exists, but its a COMPLETELY different color scheme, so we still need her armor (hell, put her and Okarr in the game)

Jace Malcom: Already argued, and I'm fairly certain we have nothing like his helmet, and his armor is a darker orange/red

Master Ven Zallow: Same as Vindican

Satele Shan: Glad we agree :)

Niko Okarr: I'm fairly certain we have nothing like his coat, and like you said, his hat. We also have nothing like his awesome pistols, which actually have a thread of their own.

Eh, I'm only situationally a fan of capes and hoods, so I can do without those--though I'll agree that they're necessary if you're really trying to recreate Malgus's look.

Viszla's different color scheme, like I said, can probably be solved with dye modules, though I won't say that for certain since I haven't really looked into the issue. I also don't know just how exactly the existing sets match hers design-wise, as I've only paid them passing attention now and then.

From what little I saw of Malcom's armor in the trailers, it looked similar enough to stuff we have already that dye modules would make a passable substitute for me. Like Viszla's armor, though, I haven't paid much attention to the finer details on Trooper armor, so I'll concede that I'm likely wrong on that one too. I'm pretty sure the helmet exists somewhere too, but again, I won't stake my rep on it since I don't know for sure.

Okarr's outfit reminds me a lot of the various trench-coat looks that exist in-game--maybe not exactly, but relatively close. His hat's the big issue, though, thanks to those stupid face masks every cowboy hat comes packaged with. His pistols, though...I just rewatched the Return trailer and did a GTN search, and Okarr's pistols remind me a LOT of the Black Nebula Heavy Blaster (from some cartel pack or other, also has a holographic HUD when drawn) and Two-Finger's Revenge (offhand-only, but I'm sure there's a mainhand companion to it somewhere)--again, maybe not exact matches, but pretty close. Ironically, there IS a pistol called Nico Okarr's Holdout Blaster, but it looks little to nothing like what he's using in the trailer. edit: did a quick vendor search too, and the Campaign Enforcer and Field Medic pistols both look like his too.

Again, none of this is meant to try and close this thread down (if anything, this is just bumping the thread higher) or say your suggestions don't have merit--just saying (and I apologize if this didn't come through clearly yesterday) that there are similar-looking substitutes available to at least approximate most of the sets you're suggesting until the devs actually implement them...except Satele's. Sadly, we're boned there.:(

• 1 year later...