The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Previous rare cartel pack items

varietasplus

It is well-known in economics that there is an extra price to pay to have something upon release and as time goes by, the premium vanishes so to gain additional buyers who would pay for the product/service without the extra.

For example, take the Meditation/Diplomat's/Wathmen's Hover Chair. Those were extremely rare and sold for 3-4 millions of credits on GTN. Nowadays, those items are either not available on GTN or cost 8 million credits.

As a subscriber, I would expect to have access to these items after half a year or a year for let's say 500 cartel coints. Since hardly can you see anyone still using the hover chairs, I hope those who paid for it would not be offended since they had it 6/12 months ahead of anyone else, when it was still unique. Honestly, with every new cartel pack those players are likely to have a new favourite only a few can afford, would you really be upset if the others could get it later on for a more favourable price?

Um, yeah. I paid for the chairs, one of them recently because I wanted it. They are on the GTN. Just because you don't want to pay for something, doesn't mean it should be cheap.

You had the choice to buy it then, you have the choice to buy it now.

And what the hell are you talking about with your economics? You think it's well-known that everything gets cheap after a while??

So if I have an incredibly rare antique, that's going to get cheaper as time goes by, is it? Should I go sell my vintage baseball card signed by Babe Ruth now, before the price goes down???

These items were expensive when they first came out because they were rare. Now they are rarer. You do the maths.

PS Some of them are available from the cartel rep vendors anyway.

Edited by CrazyMcGee

If you want to compare it to something in real life, it would be a new telephone or a console that are expensive upon their release and get cheaper with time. Bioware can multiplicate these items for free, it is not unique, no license to pay, no rare crafting materials or special manufacturing skills required. Comparing it to an antique painting or furniture or a limited/hand signed baseball card is simply improper.

Again, the only reason I made this suggestion was the fact that hardly can you see anyone with the hover chairs now, so I thought it would make multiple players happier than disappointed. Don't forget, the purpose of a game is to make as many players happy as possible, yet rewarding those who are willing to put more effort into the game by getting items half a year before others do. Did you protest when the black-purple/black-orange crystals became craftable while others had to grind the HM ops to get those before?

From the perspective of EA, they would get additional money for these items that would make this game run longer; after all, this would be good for you as well, won't it? Or is it more important for you to know that you have a mount you no longer use since you have something fresh, while others might be happy about it?

I see plenty of people using these mounts.

And whilst I understand your point that these items do not have to be rare (as BW can make as many as they want), the point is that some game content is deliberately rare, including these items. The rarity is part of the appeal for many people.

I don't like items which are impossible to get now, but these are not. You just don't want to pay for them.