The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvP Tanking advice wanted

Kontraz

So I've only recently started PvP tanking and while my numbers aren't "bad" they certainly aren't where I would like them to be. I find it fairly hard to gauge how well I'm doing, since in a typical match lately, I am the only tank I see on either side of the warzone (oddly enough, I see a few other PTs running ion cell, but their numbers reflect more of someone dps-oriented with very little protection).

So, what are some pointers for someone starting out? I've read through a few guides such as Sef's but as stated, my numbers still aren't where I would like them to be.

Typically I have my guard on a healer (if we have one) and guard swap as needed whenever I see a DPS start dropping suddenly (so long as the healer isn't getting focused as well). I try to keep my single-target taunt on constant cooldown with my AoE taunt reserved for groups of dps.

I think my problem might be staying close enough to whomever I have guard on?

So I've only recently started PvP tanking and while my numbers aren't "bad" they certainly aren't where I would like them to be. I find it fairly hard to gauge how well I'm doing, since in a typical match lately, I am the only tank I see on either side of the warzone (oddly enough, I see a few other PTs running ion cell, but their numbers reflect more of someone dps-oriented with very little protection).

So, what are some pointers for someone starting out? I've read through a few guides such as Sef's but as stated, my numbers still aren't where I would like them to be.

Typically I have my guard on a healer (if we have one) and guard swap as needed whenever I see a DPS start dropping suddenly (so long as the healer isn't getting focused as well). I try to keep my single-target taunt on constant cooldown with my AoE taunt reserved for groups of dps.

I think my problem might be staying close enough to whomever I have guard on?

The last sentence on your post is crucial, if you are not doing it.

You really don't have control on your protection numbers in warzones because it will always depend on the opposing team's overall dps output. It will also vary how geared and skilled those players, the one you're guarding and reducing damage from taunts are as well. Playing against good teams will always give you high numbers if you're doing it right.

Edited by dijskykiller

I am by no means an expert at PvP tanking although I like it a lot. But I have also found it depends on your group almost completely (at least my experience). If you are on a decent group then you get good protection numbers if your group is bad (at least me) then a lot of the time you get focused and spend more time repspawning than protecting. Nothing worse than guarding a healer and they don't ever heal you.

One very important mindset change that most pvp tanks need is to think of guard as an active thing... A DPS does damage, a healer heals and you guard. Your guard only works if you are within 15m from your target, if you are out of that range, you only have put a target on that persons head and prevented them from being guarded by a competent tank.

You'll do best if you que up with a competent healer, focus target them (Alt F) at the begining of the match. This will let you see their health, debuffs and most importantly a circle under their feet and icon above their head so it's easy to find them when you look around you. Keep them alive as your first priority, if they are ok, practice shifting your guard to anyone thats taking damage (I hotkey guard to F) and make sure you're in range of them. Since your healer is still your focus target you should be able to move back to them quickly as needed.

If you don't have a good healer to pair up with, use your pug matches to practice on swapping targets, pay attention to your surroundings and protect the best players you can. I'll guard a good rauder or sniper anyday ftw.

I'd also suggest chatting with the person you're guarding (if you're in a PUG or they don't know you), so they know not to run all over the place if they're attacked. Out of LOS, sure, but if they run 50 yards from you because they're being attacked, they're not helping either of you. If they know you'll help them out and play it smart, you can work together to keep alive.

I have to remember to do this when I PUG, since I'm just used to this when I'm guarding someone from my guild.