The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Companion Synergies

Cerlinad

I've noticed that there are a few companions that are always used, and many that are almost never used except to obtain the achievements. The reason why is obvious...those companions are either useless in general except to run missions, or useless to the class you're playing...such as Theran Cedrax to a Sage, or Qyzen to a Shadow.

So, I thought perhaps a legacy unlock for 'Companion Synergies' could be added which would add some additional benefit unique to each companion / class combination. Some combinations, Such as a Non healing class with a healing companion would be weak. Others, such as a Healing class with a healing companion could be significantly stronger.

The benefits could range from a persistent buff to unlocking a skill that a class would not normally have access to.

Following are some suggestion, using the Consular companions since I know them best.

Qyzen Fess. Melee tank companion. Very useful to a sage, very little use to a Shadow. Has a hunter personality.

*Sage synergy: Unlock the 'Stealth' command, but operating 5 levels below the actual character level....so a level 55 sage would have the stealth ability of a level 50 character.

*Shadow synergy: +2 effective stealth levels, +10% boost to armor, and +5% boost to melee damage inflicted

C2-N2. Ranged light healing droid. Very little use to a sage, moderate use to a shadow until Theran is obtained.

I couldn't think of any good synergies that would make me want to use this annoying pile of over-voiced junk. All I want with this droid is a way to permanently disable it's voice!

Theran Cedrax: Ranged healer. Very little use to a sage, very useful to a shadow.

*Sage synergy: +10% to all healing done, +10% force power, +5% damage reduction

*Shadow synergy: Unlock access to Rejuvenate, but with double the cooldown.

Zenith: Useful to a sage, somewhat less so to a shadow. Ranged dps

*Sage: +10% damage absorbed by Force Armor

*Shadow: Haven't really come up a with a good shadow suggestion for Zenith.

Lt. Iresso: Ranged tank. Useful to a sage, somewhat useful to a shadow

*Sage: +5m range on all attacks and heals, stacking with any existing skill tree abilities that do the same.

*Shadow: Moderate boost of some sort to defense stats.

Nadia Grell: Melee dps, force user. Very useful to a sage, moderately useful to a shadow.

*Sage: Force armor will heal other players (not Nadia) as if you had cast it on yourself. If you don't have the skill to heal from force armor, then it will not heal others either.

*Shadow: Moderate boost to dps output.

I'm sure there are better synergies than some I've listed for Consulars, and all the other classes would of course have their own sets of synergies. With a system like this in place, it would hopefully make those companions who never see play time (such as anyone other than Theran for a Shadow) more useful to have active.

I use Theran Cedrax with my Sage, it saves me healing all the time while I pelt my enemies with rocks and Boulders.

Any companion can be used, if you play appropriately for that character.

Not saying the synergy thing is a bad idea, just you can play with any comp, if you adjust your style.

This not the place for this... This forum is to discuss the greater SW universe. Pretty much everything not revolving around this game but still having to do with SW.

I suggest you repost this here, here, or here it'll also likely get you more responses from folks more knowledgeable about that topic.

Edited by StarSquirrel