The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard DPS Coming Back After Nearly a Year...What do I Need to Know?

Contrablast

Hey guys! I decided to come back to SWTOR for a while and check out all the new content. The last time I played was probably about 11 months ago. I was 'rockin' Vanguard DPS mostly just PVE, and despite it's challenges as a DPS class I held my own fairly well on the HM and NMM Ops, up to Terror from Beyond. I will definitely look through as many patch notes as I can and try to catch up to speed, but what does the Trooper community say? Any good thread links on big changes/nerfs to the Vanguard class? I'd love to hear commentary. Thanks guys!

Hey guys! I decided to come back to SWTOR for a while and check out all the new content. The last time I played was probably about 11 months ago. I was 'rockin' Vanguard DPS mostly just PVE, and despite it's challenges as a DPS class I held my own fairly well on the HM and NMM Ops, up to Terror from Beyond. I will definitely look through as many patch notes as I can and try to catch up to speed, but what does the Trooper community say? Any good thread links on big changes/nerfs to the Vanguard class? I'd love to hear commentary. Thanks guys!

Really your coming back at the worst time... The class was nerfed in to the ground in 2.0 all other classes gained large amounts of burst while ours was nerfed..

The state of PVP anyway in the game right now is pretty much Jugs,snipers,op heals,maras are the top classes in the game while all others lack in many ways and vanguards are at the top of the list when it comes to lacking. We lack utility we lack burst we lack defensive cool downs.... we lack everything when stacked up to other classes.

I would still give it a shot see if your one of the rare people that really think the class is good.. I honestly think people that think vanguard dps is viable have a perception problem :p:p but give it a shot see how you feel and if you like it if you feel you do well stick with it but if i were you I would not come back to the game if you have your heart set on playing your vanguard.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=674296

IF i were you to catch you up the devs of this game let the class community's ask them questions about the classes and the devs gave us answers I would read this thread that i'll link below and read the devs answers about the shot comings of our class.

Jugs/op heals/snipers/maras Run this game now in terms of pvp.

Devs that play favorites with classes.

GG SWTOR.

Dongcleave.

Will come and go quickly.

But as far as pve dps goes you can still be viable with a hybrid (2/22/22) spec for the time being. You don't bring a lot to fights that you can't get from other classes with more utility like sentinels, gunslingers, commandoes, etc for dps but your team isn't going to lose because of you. Straight tactics isn't terrible either but not as good as hybrid but easier to manage.

The next patch has some promising things for tactics but assault still looks pointless for raid dps.

and despite it's challenges as a DPS class I held my own fairly well on the HM and NMM Ops

Well, I've been constantly defending the class lately (from a PvE DPS perspective only), but if you thought we had problems before 2.0, and were holding your own "fairly well", you probably won't be happy in its current state. Pyro/Assault PT/VG was pretty broken-OP. Pre-2.0, I demolished everyone I raided with on my ptech, and now I just hold my own "fairly well".