The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[BUG] Ability: Resilience

PifferPuff

BUG: The Jedi Shadow's Resilience ability is NOT WORKING AS INTENDED!

Synopsis of the ability as follows:

Ability Name: Resilience

Level Learned: 36

Cast Time: Instant

Cooldown: 1 minute

Force Cost: None

Range: Self

Description: Removes all hostile removable effects and increases your chance to resist Force and tech attacks by 100% for 3 seconds. Does not break stealth.

In laymen's terms, it's an ability that affords Shadows a complete self-cleanse of all cleanseable negative debuffs, roots, snares, DoTs, etc., and - in addition - it affords temporary immunity to such debuffs, as well as 100% damage reduction to any and all Force and Tech attacks for 3 seconds.

In other words, it's a 3-second "f/u I'm an anteater . jpg" ability. And, especially in PvP, it's part of a Shadow's "get out of dodge" rotation, and try again real soon from a different angle . . . . .

Oh...And, here's the really important part:

>>> it's supposed to work 100% of the time when you click the button. <<<

Now for the BUG part:

Right now, it is NOT WORKING AS INTENDED: it only has a chance of working when you click that magic button (I'd say about 50/50), but it's impossible to tell exactly what that chance is. Regardless, prior to 2.0, its chance to apply its effects *WAS* functioning at a 100% rate. So, it stands to reason that it SHOULD be working at that rate now.

Soooooo.....

Resolution:

This needs to corrected to have all of it's effects applied 100% of the time, all the time, and every time it is activated!!

So... Please, BioWare Devs, fix Resilience to function 100% of the time.

Thanks

NOT WORKING AS INTENDED: it only has a chance of working when you click that magic button (I'd say about 50/50), but it's impossible to tell exactly what that chance is. Regardless, prior to 2.0, its chance to apply its effects *WAS* functioning at a 100% rate. So, it stands to reason that it SHOULD be working at that rate now.

First off, holy crap, you went more than a little overboard with the formatting. Seriously. You don't need to recolor and resize *everything*. Honestly, it only makes it more abrasive to read, which means that it's less likely to actually have an impact.

Secondly, you're a little behind the times. It's actually been screwed up since 1.4. It's well known enough that it was widely known as the "Resilience bug". Nothing has changed since 2.0 to do anything about it.

Third, the chance is explicitly a 5% chance for it to not work as intended. We known this because after more than a year of complaining about it, one of the devs went and told us that they found out why: for some reason, in 1.4, there was a 5% floor on the hit chance included that wasn't mentioned in the update. As such, anything that is supposed to provide a 100% miss chance actually only provides a 5% miss change.

Interestingly, this means that Resilience *is* working exactly as intended. It provides a redundantly large amount of Resist chance and does the cleanse like it's supposed to. The problem is that the back end attack mechanics don't actually give a damn about the redundantly large Resist chance that it provides. And, of course, the devs have told us that it's too hard to fix even though they know what the problem is.

But, you know, what can we expect from a dev team that doesn't care about Shadow/Sins at all? It's not like the *devs* play those ACs, so it's not like they actually have a *reason* to do anything about it. Well, you know, beyond actually keeping the game balanced and making sure that stuff actually works like it's supposed to. Oh well, I guess they need to fix the LS/DS requirements for cosmetic armor first. The number of people *that* affects is *way* larger than the entire population of Shadows and Assassins. Gogo proper prioritization!

First off, holy crap, you went more than a little overboard with the formatting. Seriously. You don't need to recolor and resize *everything*. Honestly, it only makes it more abrasive to read, which means that it's less likely to actually have an impact.

Secondly, you're a little behind the times. It's actually been screwed up since 1.4. It's well known enough that it was widely known as the "Resilience bug". Nothing has changed since 2.0 to do anything about it.

Third, the chance is explicitly a 5% chance for it to not work as intended. We known this because after more than a year of complaining about it, one of the devs went and told us that they found out why: for some reason, in 1.4, there was a 5% floor on the hit chance included that wasn't mentioned in the update. As such, anything that is supposed to provide a 100% miss chance actually only provides a 5% miss change.

Interestingly, this means that Resilience *is* working exactly as intended. It provides a redundantly large amount of Resist chance and does the cleanse like it's supposed to. The problem is that the back end attack mechanics don't actually give a damn about the redundantly large Resist chance that it provides. And, of course, the devs have told us that it's too hard to fix even though they know what the problem is.

But, you know, what can we expect from a dev team that doesn't care about Shadow/Sins at all? It's not like the *devs* play those ACs, so it's not like they actually have a *reason* to do anything about it. Well, you know, beyond actually keeping the game balanced and making sure that stuff actually works like it's supposed to. Oh well, I guess they need to fix the LS/DS requirements for cosmetic armor first. The number of people *that* affects is *way* larger than the entire population of Shadows and Assassins. Gogo proper prioritization!

I still don't understand how they managed to break the armor stuff in the first place. But yes, it seems that both would be easy enough fixes.

Edited by ArchangelLBC

Since our vanilla-flavored theads and posts garnered such little Developer attention, I figured I'd try something different and hold out a thin limb of hope that they actually read it. ;)

Weird that I only started to notice that this ability was off after 2.0 hit, and that I had noticed it working at 100% before (esp. In WZs). And after 2.0, I simply shrugged it off at first as a random glitch that happened due to a particular but unknownst to me ability firing off at me at the wrong time.

Source on this please? If it is such a well-know mechanic, why is there such little-to-no documentation on it (honestly, this is the first I'm hearing this). A link to a thread? A blog post, maybe?

As for the difficulty-level of programming to effect a fix for this problem... CHALLENGE MOTHER-F'ING ACCEPTED!! Give me access to your codebase, BioWare, and I'll fix it for you free of charge! Just point me in the direction of the NDA, and let's get started!

If they are unable/unwilling to do it, then it's gotta be like the ultimate NiM boss. Mwahahaha. *rubs hands together*

LOL ..ofc they are gonna prioritize the CM vanity-fair and cosmetic items. (Psst: *secret* That's where their paycheques come from.)

Edited by PifferPuff

Source on this please? If it is such a well-know mechanic, why is there such little-to-no documentation on it (honestly, this is the first I'm hearing this). A link to a thread? A blog post, maybe?

Right here, back in June. And I have no idea how you couldn't have seen this bug for over a year, unless you just don't spend any time on the class forums. Pretty much *any* time Resilience is brought up, the Resilience bug is pointed out and *has* been since it was first found in 1.4.

Right here, back in June. And I have no idea how you couldn't have seen this bug for over a year, unless you just don't spend any time on the class forums. Pretty much *any* time Resilience is brought up, the Resilience bug is pointed out and *has* been since it was first found in 1.4.

In fairness, the first time I saw this bug was in 2.0. At no time previously did I notice my Resilience failing (despite using it on cooldown in some encounters), and yet I picked it up within days of 2.0 going live.

Thanks for that link. As for not noticing for as long as I have, probably just lucky I guess, and my luck ran out later than sooner.

But that Dev post gives me an idea where to start in going about fixing it.

In fairness, the first time I saw this bug was in 2.0. At no time previously did I notice my Resilience failing (despite using it on cooldown in some encounters), and yet I picked it up within days of 2.0 going live.

Same here. So, you must have been just as lucky as me. :) ...And your luck must've run out at just about the same time as mine did too. Interesting. Intersting indeed...

Edited by PifferPuff