The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Issues with Nvidia Geforce gtx 460 graphics card

JSitruc

I just upgraded my graphics card from the geforce gtx 260 to the 460 1gb graphics card. I am having some issues with it that I was hoping someone could help me with, since a lot of gamers and tech gurus around here. I have the most recent driver, 320.49 and have downloaded both MSI afterburner (for overclocking) as well as TechPowerUP GPU-Z (for monitoring).

I often have problems with my monitor either blinking white for a split second or black for about 2-3 seconds. This happens to frequently, IMO, considering it never happened with my other graphics card.

I will also have a problem with my mouse curser. At times it will not change the type (the typing curser, the pointing index finger, arrow, loading curser) of curser upon hovering certain areas. I mean, it may stay in the typing curser and also turn a very light yellow color. Or it will turn into the blue circle curser, which indicates something is loading. It will stay a circle, but I will be able to click on links as if i have the regular arrow curser.

However, the biggest issue is the constant freezing. It may last from a few seconds or minutes. I usually only wait 10 mins before restarting my computer. I did find a slight fix tho, if at start up i go into MSI afterburner and alter the Core Clock or memory clock in anyway then the problem occurs less frequently. I need a long term fix though.

Today I got a slight hint at what the issue could be. After my screen came back from blinking black, I had an error notification that said "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered". So my thinking is that when my screen freezes for long periods of time, then it may have failed at recovering?

Something else that may be worth noting. The night after I installed the graphics card there was a fairly large windows update, I believe it was on 8/7/13.

Does anyone have any insight or answers?

Try a different (older) driver version first. If this doesn't work, reinstall your old GPU to see if it really is a problem with your 460 and not something else that occured at the same time. Did you buy the 460 at a shop so you could (in case) return it?

If you pop over to the NVidia forums, you'll see a whole discussion on the 320.49. It's still in beta but so far everyone has rolled back to the previous version as this one is not stable. For me it greatly increased my core temps and fan spin-up. I rolled mine back to the 7/1 driver and it's back to being where it was.