Computer help/advice needed please help :)

Shadow-cp

Hi guys looking for some good advice on a laptop, yes i said laptop :) cant have desktop for too many reasons im not going too bore you with so please dont just say get a desktop.

i have seen this laptop HP Pavilion g6-1220sa it has 6gb ram quad processer and 1tb memory, will this run swtor smoothly? if not can anyone please recomend a laptop that will run the game on mid-high graphics smoothly ?

i am hoping too get a new laptop in the next couple of days so any help is greatly appreciated

thanks

I had to look up the video card specifics for that laptop, as that's really what's going to bottleneck you in the laptop arena, but it says it has a discreet class 6620 AMD graphics card, so you shouldn't have issues playing SWTOR at medium settings on that machine.

Recommending other systems, especially laptops, can get very tricky when it comes to your budget, what else you're going to do with the machine, what's locally available, and how hard other people on the forum decide to rail against each other's recommendations. If you like the looks of that laptop, it'll work.

Edited by dmarkd

"Want it to be good" and "just for SWTOR" are a little at odds. HP makes a great product, so I don't have anything against the one you've posted. The problem is, if you define "want it to be good" as "play SWTOR at maximum settings forever" ... and then you maybe are mentally tacking on "and I'll totally be able to play other games on this", then I'd really suggest you start looking at a laptop that is a little more purpose built for gaming.

If you truly just want to be able to play SWTOR, browse the 'net, watch movies and listen to music, then that unit will be fine.

Again, if you want more recommendations, talk about your budget, what else you want to do other than "want it to be good" and I'll see what I can come up with.

The core things to keep in mind are:

(1) Get a decent processor - An Intel Pentium will do you fine. Avoid Celeron/Duron/Athlon processors as they are not very good at handling complex programs and will run games much more slowly than the upper end equivelant even if the numbers look big.

(2) Don't waste too much doe on RAM: SWTOR cannot use more than 4GB so spending out good cash on more than that is a waste.

(3) Make sure that you get a good graphics card that has DEDICATED memory. This is the most important point since it is what will be doing the most of the work.

On a side note, if you live in the UK then I strongly suggest that you ask the person in the store "Will this run SWTOR?". If they say yes and you get it home you are legally entitled to return the item as unfit for purpose. It just means you put the onus on the (supposedly informed) sales people and not yourself when it comes to parting with your hard earned cash for a new machine.

Best of luck!

Hi there!

There are existing discussion threads regarding computer hardware which you may find very helpful:

You can also check out our General FAQs for information about minimum system specifications.

In the interest of consolidating discussion, we have closed this thread. Please use one of the topics linked above for further questions and discussion of hardware specifications. Thank you!