The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvE Tanking - Augments

So after a few searches and looking through all the current threads I could find on PvE tanking with Vanguards... Figured I'd make a new thread to ask about augments.

As a Vanguard (and I suppose PT) tank, what augments do people tend to go for? After some discussions in guild, I've been leaning toward using the Redoubt (defense/power) augments, but I'm curious what current Vanguard tanks are using in their augment slots.

Also on a related note: curious how people feel on gearing when it comes to defense vs absorption. Personally (and from discussions among tanks in guild), I've been considering gearing more toward defense, but again was curious how current tanks are gearing themselves.

Personally I use defence augments to get my defence in combination of gear and augs to hit 20% ATM I am 20.02% can't get any close to bang on 20% :(

Then I use a mixture of Shield, Abosrb and End augs depending on how bosses feel, I like to have more End for fight for example Xeno-II HM when Thermal Tolerance hits you and your getting that nasty debuff and you can't get a pull or run fast enough to LOS it, that extra End does make the difference.

Currently I am running around the 20% Def, 38% shield, 33% Absorb mark (give or take 1% on Sh,Ab as I am not home ATM) and the healers seem to be happy with the way my HP moves about on fights.

1) Which augment you need depends on your current stat distribution, not on someone's opinion

2) Assuming your stats are approaching minimization of expected damage, you can make an argument for augmenting any defensive stat. Defense will tend to be the stat that you want to stack at lower tiers of gear, ie where you will be without augments; Shield will help you proc Energy Blast more quickly; Absorb will reduce your spikiness and will be the stat which you probably have the lowest present investment in

See KBN's thread for model-based decisions on what stat distribution to approach.

Edited by MGNMTTRN

1) Which augment you need depends on your current stat distribution, not on someone's opinion

I was not asking so I could make a decision based on someone else's opinion. I asked the question I hopes of sparking a discussion and getting viewpoints from other people based in how they are built for tanking. I'm not setup for it yet, I'm a dps vanguard looking into tanking to add utility and flexibility for my guild in fps and ops. What I'm trying to do right now is get a general collection of ideas based on how others are geared and built. Hence bringing a discussion I've already had in guild to a broader group for even more opinions. But I digress.

Anyway thanks, Mikroswitch, for the input. The numbers help, at least as far as my visualization goes, lol. I remember from building my assassin tank that defense tended to be better to throw into the mix vs the absorb.