The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cannon with rifle appearance

I'm seeing a good number of Commandos using blaster rifles rather than assault cannons, but obviously this is entirely impractical for anything besides strictly healing, as the weapon damage of a rifle is lower than a cannon of the same barrel rating, and Charged Bolts and Hail of Bolts require that a cannon be equipped. (So yeah, I mostly see healmandos doing this.)

A Cartel Market cannon with a rifle-like appearance would probably appeal to quite a few Commandos, and the logistics of it would be feasible.

Take a long-barreled rifle (say, the A-52 Rancor-X Carbine) and add a horizontal hand grip sticking out from the left side of the barrel. The left hand goes there, horizontally, while the main grip projects vertically down from the stock and is held by the right hand. The Commando stands with feet slightly more than a shoulder's width apart with the blaster held slightly out from the body. If you are having trouble picturing it, that's the Commando's default stance when holding an assault cannon.

Keeping the same stance would allow visual identification of a Trooper as a Commando, but the appearance would be of a soldier firing a rifle or light machine gun from the hip (rather from the shoulder, as Vanguards do).

What do you think?

Yes please! I had actually just logged in to post this exact same idea. I am one of those commandoes that uses a rifle in gunnery spec, and for the record its not that big of a hit in DPS, 5% off sustained and about 15% off 10s burst based on my trials on a dummy. But I would love to be able to wield a rifle without these encumbrances. If nothing else, could we get the grav round animation when using a cannon changed to the snipe animation? The current bend over animation looks like you dropped the soap.