The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tanking questions

ahrimen

Im relatively new to this game and have made a few characters to test the waters. In my previous MMO I did a fair amount of tanking and had a good time at it. I wish to tank in this game but am nervous to do so since my experiences in the FPs are limited (I have only done the first 3 or so) and not in a tanking roll. I was wondering if there are any guides that give basic tanking strategies for the different FPs bosses and such? or is it more a case of "dont worry, its super easy, you'll figure it out"

I just dont want to get into a FP and be a bad tank.

Thanks

Generally there are two factors that make up whether you're a good or bad player. Obviously tanks, DPS and healers have different criteria.

But as for tanking in FPs, it is my very personal opinion that there are three types of tanks;

1. Know what a tank is, what they're supposed to be doing, and despite not having prior experience, will pick up the nuances and ins-and-outs of the flashpoint.

2. Know the flashpoint from past experience, and can gain new insight in their new role and grow and mature.

3. Don't know jack **** and are absolutely worthless, but act and behave like they actually know something we don't.

As long as you're not #3, you're fine. You occasionally get people who are either ***** or in a rush that will leave if you say it's your first time running the flashpoint. Don't pay any mind to them. Most people are happy to show you the ropes, or at the very least, will grudgingly help you because they, ultimately benefit from it.

I don't profess to being a very good tank, but I do fall squarely into category 2. But as for the original question which I clearly digressed from a fair bit, Google is your best friend. There are guides out there, and videos. I myself had to learn certain flashpoints like Boarding Party and Foundry as heals or DPS before getting the confidence so to speak, to start a tank toon and queue solely as a tank.

Make great use of your aoes. And focus on putting talents iny our tank tree, so that at level 25, you can get the rail shot proc, that triggers an explosion from your Ion Gas Cylinder, damaging target and 4 nearby enemies. And make sure you get your DoT proc in tier 2 of your tank tree, because that will be your main single target threat generation tool.

Another good idea is to find a nice helpful guild that will run you through flashpoints so you can learn the ropes.