Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Watchman Gearing questions crit v power

Angelsgrace

basically i am wondering which what my gear targets should be if the standard layout is correct for watchman spec of if i should be focusing more on crit

accuracy= 100 percent or as close as possible

Crit = 25 percent with smuggler buff (20 percent unbuffed)

Surge = 70 percent

then from there on stack power till your nose bleeds..

the reason i wonder is i am wondering if higher crit would be of use as so many dots ticking with watchman if the higher crit would be useful when zen isn't procing. also with the watchman ark/und gear BW seems to be force feeding us cirt on our set pieces

Edited by Angelsgrace

Accuracy rating = 395

Surge rating = 395

crit rating = 0

Power everything else...

read the link in my signature for more information

some of your numbers don't make sense especially the less than 100 percent accuracy with the 395 as every time i have tried lower than 100 percent accuracy i miss a Great deal..farm more than the .2 percent would make sense for. as well as i disagree with some of the other gearing points in your post using might augs over power

some of your numbers don't make sense especially the less than 100 percent accuracy with the 395 as every time i have tried lower than 100 percent accuracy i miss a Great deal..farm more than the .2 percent would make sense for. as well as i disagree with some of the other gearing points in your post using might augs over power

With 395 Accuracy, 3% from Steadfast and 1% from Scourge, you should be sitting at 99.51% for Main Hand Special Attacks and Force attacks. You will still record numerous misses from your Off Hand as well as from Strike.

Do you have any basis for suggesting Overkill Augments are superior? Again here is my position:

Power contributes 0.23 to bonus damage, while Strength contributes 0.20. However, Strength is buffed by the Sith Inquisitor | Jedi Consular buff by 5%. Thus, the comparison becomes 0.23 vs. 0.21 (1.05 * 0.20 = 0.21). The increase in bonus damage is thus 0.02 per point of power. Considering Power Augments provide an extra 448 (32 * 14 = 448) Power, the increase to Bonus Damage is 8.96 (448 * 0.02 = 8.96). Our class buff boosts these both by 5% so we end up with a total of 9.408 more bonus damage from Power augments.

Next, Strength also increases crit %. These 448 points in strength contribute 1% to crit chance. Specifically from 2,349 strength to 2,797 based on full 72 gear and Nano-Infused Stim.

Thus, the true comparison becomes 9.408 more Bonus Damage vs. 1% more crit. Again my math shows Strength to be ever so slightly better even at the next tier of gear.

With 395 Accuracy, 3% from Steadfast and 1% from Scourge, you should be sitting at 99.51% for Main Hand Special Attacks and Force attacks. You will still record numerous misses from your Off Hand as well as from Strike.

Do you have any basis for suggesting Overkill Augments are superior? Again here is my position:

Power contributes 0.23 to bonus damage, while Strength contributes 0.20. However, Strength is buffed by the Sith Inquisitor | Jedi Consular buff by 5%. Thus, the comparison becomes 0.23 vs. 0.21 (1.05 * 0.20 = 0.21). The increase in bonus damage is thus 0.02 per point of power. Considering Power Augments provide an extra 448 (32 * 14 = 448) Power, the increase to Bonus Damage is 8.96 (448 * 0.02 = 8.96). Our class buff boosts these both by 5% so we end up with a total of 9.408 more bonus damage from Power augments.

Next, Strength also increases crit %. These 448 points in strength contribute 1% to crit chance. Specifically from 2,349 strength to 2,797 based on full 72 gear and Nano-Infused Stim.

Thus, the true comparison becomes 9.408 more Bonus Damage vs. 1% more crit. Again my math shows Strength to be ever so slightly better even at the next tier of gear.

yes the basis being that our own class buff increases the power augments by the same 5 percent.. negating the "added" effect you are speaking of . and if you you switch even jsut 1 augment between power and might you will see the higher bonus damage with a power aug then the might one. and you yourself even state this.

Our class buff boosts these both by 5% so we end up with a total of 9.408 more bonus damage from Power augments.
Edited by Angelsgrace

So what doesn't make sense? 9.4 more bonus damage vs. 1% more crit. You then need to consider the various coefficients for abilities used...

if we are removing crit stat from the build to increase damage output... how would removing damage to increase crit make sense

there is a difference between crit rating and crit chance. the equation for crit rating's contribution to crit chance is really poor so it is not worth spending allocating points there.

I am the first to admit that Power & Strength are really close - less than 1% - but my math shows that strength is superior.

This thread would like to have word with you about 0 crit rating.

I am not sure what in that thread you referring to, I read a lot about crit in general and crit for snipers.

In my analysis, I looked at the abilities used by Annihilation Marauders/Watchman Sentinels and build a model around these abilities. Using this model, you can compare various builds/stats. I derive all of my conclusions from this. While appreciate the more general discussions, I think it is best to make recommendations on a spec by spec level to ensure the best information.

I play watchman, I am getting close to BIS 72, I have the following stats :

1. Accuracy: 100.36%

2. Melee Bonus DMG : 940

3. Force Bonus DMG : 1450

4. Critical :25.92

5. Surge 71.98

I still need a few more enhancements and mods to get the 72 sweetspot. I am also using the 36 8 2 spec with the 2 points in insight as it does not give more benefit than an extra 12% offhand damage. The reason for which one would stack overkill augments is two fold. First and foremost, my sentinel does not have the 3k strength approach like most. I am sitting at 2892 strength with everything else being pure power to get the above stats. As soon I hit my sweetspot with crit, why should I continue to put might augments? A personal choice on my side as i want to fully invest in damage output which requires overkill. Bear in mind that Watchman applies dots with white damage so the higher the melee bonus damage, the more constant your white/force damage output remains. Its nice to see a 3.7k dot when relic and andrenal stack or an 8k Merciless slash.

So to summarize : stack might until you get the crit rating you want, then overkill. Simple and elegant.

I am parsing on the dummy, depending on fleet conditions, defender instances and broken animations, 2.65-2830 DPS. Yesterday at Thrasher I did 2830 dps with 47 APM. Still working on gear and then I try the dummy again.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

I am not sure what in that thread you referring to

It's right at the start of the thread.

Generally, DPS are going to want between 50 and 100 points in crit.

I think we all agree that Crit Rating's value has been severely lessened, but I still don't think it's best completely dump all of it.

It's right at the start of the thread.

I think we all agree that Crit Rating's value has been severely lessened, but I still don't think it's best completely dump all of it.

Again, that thread talks about crit in the abstract. I refer to crit based on the abilities used for a Watchman. Do whatever you want though...

I play watchman, I am getting close to BIS 72, I have the following stats :

1. Accuracy: 100.36%

2. Melee Bonus DMG : 940

3. Force Bonus DMG : 1450

4. Critical :25.92

5. Surge 71.98

I still need a few more enhancements and mods to get the 72 sweetspot. I am also using the 36 8 2 spec with the 2 points in insight as it does not give more benefit than an extra 12% offhand damage.

This is correct DWM is superior to Insight.

The reason for which one would stack overkill augments is two fold. First and foremost, my sentinel does not have the 3k strength approach like most. I am sitting at 2892 strength with everything else being pure power to get the above stats. As soon I hit my sweetspot with crit, why should I continue to put might augments? A personal choice on my side as i want to fully invest in damage output which requires overkill. Bear in mind that Watchman applies dots with white damage so the higher the melee bonus damage, the more constant your white/force damage output remains. Its nice to see a 3.7k dot when relic and andrenal stack or an 8k Merciless slash.

So to summarize : stack might until you get the crit rating you want, then overkill. Simple and elegant.

I believe there are a number of errant statements in this paragraph though.

First off, your DoTs are internal/elemental Force damage, which means they crit based on your Force crit rate, not your melee damage.

Next, Might Augments are superior.

Thus, the true comparison becomes 9.408 more Bonus Damage vs. 1% more crit. Again my math shows Strength to be ever so slightly better even at the Kell Dragon tier.

In other words, your DPS will be better with Might Augments instead of Overkill.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.