Legacy of the End Pt 3

FallenNightAngel

Chapter Five

Selaphiel was exhausted. She wiped a fresh layer of sweat from her brow. Ever since the fight between her and Azryel, she had been working twice as hard to perfect her fighting form. Azryel proved that there was no such thing as a fair fight; just one that you won or lost, and out in the galaxy that was the difference between life and death. She looked down at the remains of the training dummy, the cuts placed so as to disable the target before delivering the killing blow. She deactivated her lightsaber and the red hue of the room disappeared. Picking up a towel form the bench she started making her way to the refresher to get cleaned up. As she was making her way to her room she spotted Azryel meditating. He was clearly sitting in one of the other rooms to have some peace and quiet; she wondered whether she should ask after him.

“I am fine thank you,” Azryel said a small smile forming on his face,

She was amazed it was like he had read her mind; unlikely but a little creepy. “Azryel, look, I just wanted to make sure everything was okay especially after the last couple of weeks. You showed me I was wrong and I am grateful for that.”

Azryel couldn’t believe what he was hearing; it was an apology of sorts and a thank you? This was very strange for Selaphiel but maybe being left in charge of the family was making her see more than just black and white, maybe she was seeing the grey. “I don’t know what to say,” He started, “I understand why you did what you did, it was wrong but I know that you wanted to help me in a strange sort of way,” he laughed, then got to his feet, “We are okay as long as you don’t touch Ayliena again.” His face turned firm as he said it.

Selaphiel felt a flutter of fear as he uttered that last sentence, he sounded like Father and Mother when they made indirect threats. If she ever hurt Ayliena again Azryel would do something about it. She could feel herself moving from fear into anger at being spoken to like that; but she held her tongue and took it on the chin as Father would have. “I am glad, maybe we can spar again sometime?” she offered,

He thought about the offer, and was convinced she was trying to repair bridges. She was his sister and while he disagreed with some of her ideas, he owed it to her to at least make an attempt. “I would love to.” He smiled, and watched as she turned and left towards her room. He couldn’t believe how much he had grown in the last two weeks since studying under Tamzin Farren; her spirit had shown him powers that Farrens hadn’t been able to use fully in hundreds of years. She had shown him lightsaber techniques and more impressively Azryel’s natural gift, the mind trick. It was possible with the Force to influence weak willed individuals into doing your will, however Azryel had found that he could take that power to whole new levels, he could read surface thoughts. So when Selaphiel was standing there consciously thinking whether she should speak to him he could ‘hear’ it. It was a truly remarkable ability but was a curse as well. The other day he had said something thoughtless to Ayliena and she had been furious with him, the things she was thinking were unbridled to say the least. He did what he could now to stop himself from hearing surface thoughts all the time especially to those who were close to him; in the end he was bound to upset people he cared about sooner or later.

He found himself back in the catacombs beneath the estate and inside Tamzin Farren’s tomb.

“You have worked hard and excelled for your hard work,” Tamzin said sitting atop her coffin.

“Thank you; you have allowed me to find a path that I can follow,” He inclined his head.

Tamzin laughed, “No Azryel it is you who have helped me. I have long believed that my descendants would continue the Sith traditions, abandoning those principles that the Jedi created that were good; such as duty, honour and nobility. You still have a long way to go, but you can make it. Just stay true to yourself.” She got up and moved to him, placing her luminous hands on his shoulders, “Now it is time to build your lightsaber, not one that was given to you, but one that represents you.”

She waved one hand and the coffin lid opened, revealing a corpse. Azryel could see there were a few things in there with it. Next to her head there was a mask, dark in colour and looked sturdy, possible even blaster proof. Around her neck lay an intricate necklace looking like some sort of winged being, dim from time but still quite elegant. Then by her side sat a lightsaber, Tamzins lightsaber; it was masterfully crafted and of a double bladed design, where two lightsabers are fused together end to end. At her feet lay small box, with a few inlaid gems.

“That box is for you, open it.” She spoke softly, and amazed at what she was seeing. Her children had always disappointed her, choosing an easy way never trying the right way. They had sought power and caused many atrocities in search of it. This descendant of hers was everything she ever wanted in her children. He was someone who could be her heir, to her legacy and secrets. Maybe even bridge the gap between Jedi, whatever form they took now and the Sith; but she was getting ahead of herself.

He bent down and took the box; he coughed as the freshly moved dust tickled his throat. His hands brushed the box down and then undid the catch; slowly he lifted the lid. Inside there were a few gems but the treasure was the lightsaber crystals. The Sith manufactured their own synth-crystals and they were almost always red in colour due to the process; Very few lightsabers were seen with any kind of colour variation. Before him lay blue crystals, green, purple and white; these crystals were worth more than the entire Farren estate. “These are for me?” He said thinking there was some kind of mistake,

Her hand whipped out and caught his ear,

“Owch!” he said,

“No they aren’t for you they are for your Father,” she said as sarcastically as possible, “Of course they are for you stupid, now let’s get to work.”

Building lightsabers happened on any different levels, Tamzin had shown him that if you put yourself into the lightsaber building process and really connected with it, the weapon became an aide in meditation allowing you to harness the Force easier. He had been working on some lightsaber shell casings for some time now as a hobby; they were rough looking like they had been chiselled out of stone and where the blade emitter was, it was sharp and uneven as if the blade itself had erupted from the hilt. He had managed to wire the emitter system up with some of the best parts in the estate, the question was what colour. She had said ‘Now it is time to build your lightsaber, not one that was given to you, but one that represents you’; what colour represented him? After a few minutes of thinking he picked up his colour and sat it in the lightsaber; he concentrated on it, pouring the Force through the crystal, when he felt the crystal almost come alive at a thought. While channelling the Force he felt something, it started off as a flash of fear until it grew into terror then anger. He felt someone from his life just disappear from the Force, the way only someone who had died would; it was Ehno. That meant the fear was Sariel’s. He jumped to his feet and charged out of the tomb, he could hear Tamzin shouting behind him but he needed to find Selaphiel.

Selaphiel fell to her knees; she felt Ehno die and her sister’s fears and anger. She had to get to them; she had to get to her. She got to her feet and picked up her lightsaber and attached it to her belt, she calmed her breathing as Father had always said, a warrior fighting with their emotions everywhere will get themselves killed. She ran out of her room almost bumping into Azryel on the stairs,

“Selaphiel it’s,”

“I know,”

“What are we going to do?”

“You are going to stay here while I search for her,” She said firmly,

“What?” Azryel’s temper grew, “I don’t think so. Whoever took her knows who they are dealing with and don’t care!” His hands came to his head in frustration, “We go together. That’s the only way this can work,”

Selaphiel was about to argue back when a maid ran towards them,

“Masters, Lord and Lady Farren are on the holo for you.” She bowed and left,

“Let’s see what Mother and Father say.” Selaphiel said quickly moving past Azryel leading them both to the main conference room. The room was large, designed for political meetings that heads of various clans might attend; especially as the Farren clan was the most powerful on Uloriden. The walls were wooden, showing off various trappings to highlight the Farrens influence and affluence; right now though it meant nothing. In the centre of the room there was a holo emitter which allowed the users to talk while seeing the other person. There was a life like Mother and Father standing there talking to each other except for the blue see-through luminous affect that was on them.

“Selaphiel, Azryel, what has happened?” Tyler asked getting straight to the point,

“I don’t know Father,” Selaphiel answered, “We just felt the disturbance ourselves. I and Azryel were deciding what we were going to do.”

“Where is Sariel?” He asked being more specific,

“She went out into the town with Ehno this morning, Ehno is dead.” She said,

“Do not leave the estate.” Arabella started, “If you leave the estate you will be vulnerable do you understand me, we need to wait and see what the abductors want,”

Even through the holographic image it was picking up marks on her face where she had been crying.

“Now wait for our call, do I make myself clear?” Tyler said,

“Yes Father,” Azryel and Selaphiel responded,

The link went dead and the room darkened, Azryel placed his hand on Selaphiel’s shoulder, “If anyone will know what to do it is Father.” He then affectionately squeezed her shoulder, his mind though off thinking about Sariel, wanting her to know that they are doing something.

Hours rolled by, Selaphiel had been pacing igniting her lightsaber from time to time, while Azryel merely sat there quietly. That quiet was broken by a double chime, indicating an incoming call. Selaphiel quickly hit the accept button on the table in front of her. An image was displayed; but not the one they were expecting. Instead of Arabella and Tyler, there was Sariel on her knees. Next to her stood a tall man with a mask who started talking,

“I am Ivan Jeshor, leader of the respected Jeshor family. The Farren family is a joke. They have sat dominant on this planet for hundreds of years, now however,” the figure indicated towards Sariel, “Have proven that they don’t have the strength to protect their own. The Jeshor Clan have sat back but no longer, we will take the Farrens place for we are the stronger.” He finished speaking and drew a blade; he slipped in behind Sariel and drew it across her throat.

Selaphiel watched in horror as Sariel’s body dropped to the floor and her presence from the Force vanished. The holo vanished and another took its place, this time containing their parents. She looked at them; not really knowing what to say with only a cold numb at her core as if this were some nightmare that she might wake from at any moment. It was Tyler, who spoke first,

“Selaphiel, Azryel,” his voice was breaking, “Whatever you do don’t go anywhere just stay where you are. Your Mother and I are heading home immediately; once we are home we will decide what to do.” Tyler watched as his son stood and walked out of the room, “Selaphiel trust me, don’t let your brother do anything rash. Whatever we do, it will be together.”

“Yes Father,” Her voice cracked as what had just taken place started creeping up with her. Her sister was dead; throat slashed before them. The holo went dark but she just couldn’t bring herself to move. She heard someone come in from behind to see her brother just staring at her.

“Well I am not going to sit around and wait for Mother and Father; I am going to the Jeshor estate.”

Selaphiel couldn’t believe what he was saying, “You can’t be serious, especially after what Father said and after,” her voice couldn’t say her name.

“Deadly. I am going to go in and kill all of them, you can sit here if you want but I am not waiting.”

Selaphiel thought about what he was suggesting, she knew that they could be both killed by such an assault but to do nothing felt worse. She embraced her rage and anger willing it to fill the void inside. “I am coming with you.”

Chapter Six

The courtyard was quiet. There were guards doing their rounds and the smell of freshly fallen rain. The sun was dropping low and Azryel was already at the open topped speeder. Selaphiel picked up the pace; she knew that Father would have called the guard to make sure that they did not leave the estate until they returned from Korriban; it would not be long before they spotted them. She heard the speeder engine come to life and she spotted from her left a guard running at them. She leapt into the speeder but the guard was fast and already on them,

“You two are not supposed to leave the estate, your Father has given us permission to,”

He didn’t finish his sentence as he just dropped to the floor. Selaphiel didn’t know what to make as she hadn’t done anything to him. She turned to her brother who was already pulling the speeder out of the compound; accelerating as fast as he could. They cleared the boarders of the Farren territory and headed straight for the Jeshor estate.

The journey was going to take a few hours and Selaphiel had no idea what they were going to do when they got there, “Azryel, I assume you have a plan on how to get inside.”

“Yep” He responded sharply,

“Mind letting me on it?” She pushed,

“You and I will charge through their compound and smash the front door down. From there it is all search and destroy.”

She couldn’t believe what she heard. She wanted nothing more than to kill every Jeshor and ally they had but that was madness; they were both going to be killed. “You’re kidding right?”

Azryel paused before answering, “Look when we get there we will see what we’re up against ok?”

She let out a sigh; her anger was spreading towards Azryel. He was being stupid leading them on a mission without a plan,

“Selaphiel” Azryel began, “I know this is crazy but I am exploding inside, I am seeing nothing but red and yet feel that this is the right thing to do. I know we have differences of opinion but together I believe we can do it; I believe in you and your power.”

Stunned she just sat there; her emotions were all over the place. Angry, furious, despair, sadness, pride the list went on but it was just confusing. She focused her mind and remembered the guard just dropping down. “What happened to the guard?” She asked trying to think of something else,

“I knocked him out,” He replied casually,

“How? I didn’t see you hit him,”

“I didn’t; I just went inside his head and told him to sleep.” He said with a shrug of his shoulders,

The wind was catching Selaphiel’s hair and stinging her face keeping her alert, “You can do that?”

“Sure, that’s what I have been working on the last few weeks amongst other things.”

She sat back and started thinking about that power that her brother had gained maybe there was another way in to the Jeshor estate without running in through the front gate.

Azryel sat there on the front of the speeder looking through his binoculars at the Jeshor home. Selaphiel was next to him doing the same. He tried to reign in his rage; he knew that it would get them both killed if he didn’t. To be honest the Jeshor’s home looked more like a fortress with high walls, much too high for even a Force assisted jump. He focused in on the gate; there were a few guards there with blaster rifles on what looked like high alert with one person there with a lightsaber in his hands.

“They know we are coming Selaphiel.” He took a deep breath,

“How do they know that?” She asked giving him a stern look,

“Man at the front gate, has a lightsaber in his hands. I reached out and touched his mind with the Force and he knows we are coming. Perhaps they had a lookout at our home?”

Selaphiel held his gaze, he seemed in control even thought she could feel his pain and he could no doubt feel hers. “I am going to regret asking this but what do you think?”

Azryel tried to meditate to let the Force flow through him instead of trying to harness it. His feelings came alive as he saw them charge through the gate cutting down everyone in their way, breaking into the inner house, then he felt something strange as the images faded there was something dark in there, a price for the revenge perhaps?

“Azryel?” Selaphiel repeated, poking her brother,

“Sorry, I saw something. I don’t know what it means but in it we charged through the door there was darkness in there but I don’t think we died.” He looked up at the clear sky and the bright moon illuminating the two of them.

“You don’t think we die? Wow that makes me feel so much better,” She chuckled at the sound of it all, but she knew her brother was telling the truth and if anything that scared her most that he had some kind of vision. Fear started to rise within her, maybe they shouldn’t have come. She heard movement and turned to Azryel who had jumped of the front and was getting in the drivers chair, “What are you doing?”

“I am going in because I think it is important. If you don’t want to go then start walking home; if I make it out I will pick you up,” he gave a smirk,

There was no way she was going to let him go in there by herself. The Jeshors had robbed her of one sister; they would not take her brother. She steeled herself focusing on all her emotions and her desires to protect her brother and avenge her sister. The Jeshors were going to have one hell of a night; they would either kill all the Farren children or they would kill them. She jumped up and got in the passenger seat, “Go full throttle into the gate. Once through keep going, we will leap out and entre the main house. We will make it up from there, and Azryel,”

“What?”

“You are not allowed to die before me. Do you understand?” She held his eyes for a moment; then the two started laughing, tears rolled down there faces and before long they found themselves in an embrace. “I love you Azryel,” She said,

“Love you too Selaphiel, now let’s get this done.” Azryel replied letting go of his elder sister, starting the engine on the speeder and accelerating at the main gate.

The gate was very elegant with shapes of various animals built into the bars. Selaphiel was convinced that the gate would be made of very strong materials so much so that the speeder may not get through she was getting ready to try and push the gate open with the Force when it started opening. She could hear shouts of alarm as the guards watched as the gate opened to its incoming ‘guests’. She glanced over to see Azryel’s eyes closed, he must have done his mind trick on the guard. She felt danger as they passed the gate, blasters shots were pining off the speeder, but the danger was from higher up. She instinctively activated her lightsaber with a snap-hiss; the red blade went up blocking an incoming attack from another lightsaber, the owner landed on the front of the accelerating speeder and prepared himself to strike again. She immediately got to her feet as Azryel hit the brakes on the speeder. She found herself off the speeder and hurtling towards the attacker. The attacker was toppling forwards, with a flick of her wrist Selaphiel impaled the attacker on her lightsaber as the two collided. She turned and flipped as she moved forward losing the corpse and keeping the momentum to charge the front door; she used her anger, fear and hatred to form a barrier in front of her. She could feel Azryel sticking close behind her defending her with his lightsaber from incoming blaster bolts. In a few strides she leapt forward channelling the energy and releasing it as she hit the door; it blew apart shattering as she charged. Before her a group of lightsabers activated there red blades issuing a challenge, and Selaphiel didn’t want to disappoint. She heard a lightsaber hum fly past her as a purple blade rounded her killing one of the defenders. She watched as Azryel proceeded to advance on some of the guards. It was as the purple blade returned to his hand; he spun and decapitated the first guard. Selaphiel’s attention returned to the man in front of her, he was soon joined by another guard she skilfully blocked the incoming attacks before with a quick pirouette took of the first man’s sword arm. The second man’s lightsaber slid right past her arm, the bare flesh burning at the very slight contact; pain rushed through her, driving her into a flurry taking both the man’s arms and finally his head.

Azryel leapt to the second floor, trying to stop reinforcements from getting to Selaphiel; he was overcome with emotion, the loss of his sister at the core but the feeling of taking another beings life was empowering; and he wanted more. The door opened to his right and four men ran out firing blasters over the side at Selaphiel. Azryel dashed in amongst them waving his lightsaber quickly removing the problem. He carried on running hoping to try and find Ivan Jeshor and show him the great mistake he had made in killing his younger sister. A woman stepped out in front of him, she wore robes of a Sith and the way she carried herself showed she was someone important, she turned to look at him and he recognised her as Kyla Jeshor the Lady of the estate. Her lightsaber came to life along with lightning from her free hand which came arching at Azryel. He caught the arcs on his blade and tried to push against the Force attack.

Selaphiel watched as her brother fought against Kyla. She ducked to avoid an incoming attack she turned deflecting baster bolts back in the direction of her attackers. A guard charged out to tackle her, she felt out with the Force and started choking him. A dark presence entered the hall, a man who was shrouded and a scar down his face; she could feel his intent, nothing short of tearing her apart because he loved it. She watched as he charged her the snap-hiss of his red lightsaber and the sparks as their blades clashed.

Kyla was impressed; these two children had come in and caused so much damage. Azryel who by all accounts was the most pathetic of the three was putting up an impressive fight against her lightning. But impressive didn’t mean he was going to win. She watched as the lightning was being attracted to his lightsaber but arcs were bouncing off and hitting his arms leaving burn marks. She upped the power of her attack, desiring nothing short of a charred corpse. Surprise. What was that? She found that her lightning stopped and that she was frozen. Horror fell over her, she wanted to scream but found that her vocal cords were paralyzed. She saw Azryel dust himself off and take a few steps towards her a great evil smile over his face; his lips didn’t move. How does it feel to be frightened and powerless Kyla? Something you share now with Sariel, He was standing next to her now. That and being dead. His purple blade moved to her face.

Selaphiel caught a glance of Azryel cutting Kyla down. She kicked out at the scarred man who batted her away, before throwing her into the wall with a push from the Force. She got to her feat rapidly summersaulting away from his overhead strike. She focused her strength and blocked attack after attack, she watched him get aggravated due to her defensive ability.

“He killed Ehno, Selaphiel, He brought Sariel here” Azryel’s called out as he ran across the second floor,

Rage overcame her, she screamed with the Force unleashing a torrent of sound at the scarred man, he dropped to his knees as his eardrums blew and blood tricked out, she threw him with her mind across the room and leapt after the body and with a cry descended upon him driving her red blade through his chest. Victory was short lived as more lightsabers joined the fight. Thane Jeshor was a young man who had wanted to marry Selaphiel; until the proposition was refused in a roar of laughter by her and Father. He was attractive with long curly blond hair, orange eyes that looked down upon everyone and a smug grin that had always irritated Selaphiel. He stood amongst the lightsabers feeling confident that numbers would save him. She felt Azryel reach out to her offering support and strength, he felt a lot darker but he had found something and would help her soon. She chuckled to herself; she didn’t need his help to kill these goons.

Azryel spun around burying Kyla’s red blade into a guard’s back. He had taken her lightsaber as some kind of trophy, and it had just tasted its first blood in his service. He felt anger and rage, sadness and misery charging at him, his guess was that it was Ivan rushing to meet him. Good, saves me from searching thought Azryel. He moved forward deflecting blaster bolts back at his attackers, once in arms reach he rapidly dispatched them. His hate filled every pore; he was going to kill everyone in here. No one was going to leave alive. A boy with a lightsaber stood before him, he couldn’t have been older than twelve. Azryel took two steps towards the boy, sidestepped the child’s measly attack and with a flick of his wrist decapitated him. No one was leaving alive.

Arabella was cradling her head, the pain was excruciating. Her surviving children were in so much pain from the loss of Sariel. But they had done something stupid. They had gone out looking for revenge and were now locked in a fight for their lives. Tears rolled down her face; she had lost Sariel and before she could even start grieving her two remaining children had charged fool hardily into a combat they couldn’t hope to win. Tyler’s hand squeezing her knee brought her out of her trance.

“Arabella, are they?” he couldn’t utter the words, Sariel’s death had crippled them all, the loss of the other two would destroy them.

“They are alive but suffering emotionally. Tyler, Selaphiel is managing her anger but Azryel he is, not handling it so well.” She choked on her words as her depair and sadness boiled to the top; she allowed the tears to roll form her eyes. It would not do her children any help if she totally lost control here; they needed to feel their Father and Mother’s strength.

They were both in an empty animal transport on its way to Uloriden from Korriban; not the type of transport they would normally travel in but it was the only thing they could get at such short notice. They were still five hours from their destination and then another hour to get back to the estate. Six hours; they were not going to get there in time to save their children.

Tyler took a few deep breaths bringing his emotions under control, then reach out across the stars to touch his children to let them know he believed in them both. He could feel Arabella doing the same and together they found their children.

Selaphiel braced herself for the torrent of incoming attacks when she felt her Father and Mother touch her, she felt their strength and love flow into her rejuvenating her. A tear rolled down her cheek.

“Ha look at that everyone she has started to cry,” Thane shouted,

The Sith around her started to laugh at her and advanced thinking she was frightened. It was the exact opposite. She took a few steps back to keep up the illusion, her lightsaber started to quiver, they would have believed it was due to fear when really it was anticipation. The Sith on her right lounged for her and with a few quick movements not only blocked his attacks but removed his arm sliced through his side. The warrior to her left hesitated. Big mistake; she grabbed him through the Force and tossed him amongst his comrades and leapt in after, this was what she had trained hard for.

Azryel heard a shout, something more akin to a wounded animal crying in anger followed by a scream which got louder. A body flew into the wall at the end of the corridor, the sound cracking of bones following the silence of the beings screams. A figure rounded the corner his hood was up and a mask covering his face; he was around six feet tall and well built. The feelings of pain and furry were radiating from him as was the overwhelming desire to kill Azryel.

“Boy!” he shouted at Azryel, “You come in here, my home and kill my servants and guards and then my wife!” his voice was course with bitterness, “I will make you wish you had never been born!”

“Actually, it doesn’t look like your son is going to make it either,” Azryel jeered,

Ivan roared like a feral animal and charged.

Azryel was bringing in his lightsabers to block the first assault when he felt his Mother and Father reach out to him trying to give him their strength and support, the shock of these emotions entering his head made him hesitate and was hit by a blast of Force energy knocking him down the hall. He closed himself off from his parents and mustered his anger and furry, out stretching his mind to get into Ivan’s. Azryel dived out of the way as Ivan descended upon him, his mind was well defended and it would take time for Azryel to break through. He blocked left then right, ducked a snap kick to the head and jumped back throwing a blast of Force power at Ivan forcing him to slow down. Azryel took a deep breath and charged, no more fighting defensively. Their blades clashed with sparks flying as they pushed against each other and the energy blades started cutting through the walls.

“I will deliver your head to your parent’s boy. I only wish I could see your parents’ faces.” The venom in Ivan’s voice prevalent,

“Really?” Azryel questioned, “I thought you were going to volunteer to keep Sariel company!” Azryel broke the lock and with a large sweep from his purple blade made Ivan jump back. Azryel was still trying to get into Ivan’s head but he was doing a good job of resisting. Azryel reversed Kyla’s lightsaber and attacked again spinning with both blades keeping Ivan on the defensive.

Anger boiled up and over, Ivan was overwhelmed by his emotions and released his aggression on the young Farren attacking him. He released his energy in a wave before him knocking Azryel back. Taking the opportunity he struck at him with his red lightsaber bringing it down upon the boy, who at the last second parried it while staggering. Ivan didn’t let it worry him as he turned and brought his fist into the boy’s face hard, blood spitting forth from a split lip. The turn continued and Ivan managed to come close with his lightsaber singeing the young man’s side getting a cry of pain that sounded like music to his ears. He reached out with the Force and threw Azryel back into a wall twenty metres away; he then slowly and menacingly advanced on Azryel Farren.

Selaphiel took the kick to her chest in favour of her lightsaber to the short haired woman’s shoulder. She quickly rolled to avoid the attacks coming from multiple directions; treading carefully to miss the floor littered corpses. One of the Sith leapt after her bringing his lightsaber down hard, she threw her blade and had it rotate and spin rapidly around her to form a red blur. Her attacker’s blade hit hers and she swiftly reached out and grabbed his throat using the Force to help her crush his larynx. The body dropped before her and she looked at what remained of the defenders; Thane and five lightsaber wielding Sith. She could feel herself tiring and her body was in pain from the close calls she had received. Her top had a slice going across the centre from one of these ‘close calls’, the smell of burning flesh no longer filled her nose as it had become clogged by various nose bleeds from stray hands and hilts. She zeroed in on Thane, felt the Force fill her with her desire to avenge her sister and with a throw she tossed her lightsaber at them. The lightsaber moved through the air and she chased after it, diving over the first Sith’s horizontal sweep at her and landed just before Thane as he blocked her lightsaber, she stood pulling her lightsaber to her open hand and with a twist she sliced through the young man, hip to shoulder. The two sides of him fell to the floor.

Azryel watched as Ivan slowly advanced on him. His chest was hurting, he was pretty sure a rib or two had broken on the impact against the wall. He focused on Ivan setting his will against his, fighting his mental defences in a renewed assault. Ivan picked up the pace as Azryel pushed his mental attack. He was almost on him when Azryel took a deep breath; he was in and paralysed Ivan. He used the Force to strengthen his body and got to his feet. He pulled off Ivan’s mask with a wave of his hand revealing a wrinkled old man with red eyes and salt and pepper hair. Azryel felt around in his mind taking control of his lightsaber hand and bringing it near to Ivan’s throat, fear filled the Force as Ivan knew what was about to happen, “Say hi to Sariel for me.” Azryel said and with a quick motion had Ivan decapitate his own head.

Selaphiel fell to her knees, the three remaining Sith stood around her; waiting for some sort of surprise attack but she was spent, the last strike she had received to her leg had buckled it and could no longer support her weight. She waited for the final blow when something fell to the floor, she turned with the other Sith to see what it was, an old man’s head with frightened red eyes and a mouth open in fear, neck cauterised with a lightsaber slash. Up above a wave could be felt through the Force and she looked to see Azryel looking down at them,

“Your master is gone,” his voiced boomed rife with menace, “this family is destroyed, fear is the last thing they knew and now,” he paused, “you will know it too.” He leapt of the balcony with a summersault a red and a purple blade appearing in each respective hand.

She heard as the three Sith bolted for the door their fear overcoming their senses, she saw Azryel charge after them throwing his red blade, watching it arc after the last of the three before inserting itself deep into his back. Azryel ran past her then stopped, she could feel the battle inside, one that craved for wanton destruction and another that wanted to help his sister. She thought he was going to charge after the fleeing Sith but he didn’t. He knelt down and offered her his hand,

“I think it’s time to leave,” he said with a half-smile,

She couldn’t help but return the smile and take his hand; he hauled her to her feet and then stepped in taking her weight. She could feel his pain but saw that he was managing to contain it. He walked her to the speeder that they had left outside; screams and cries were coming from all over the grounds as confusion spread, “let’s go home.” She watched him quickly turn the speeder around hitting the accelerator taking them away from the nightmare and closer to home.

Chapter Seven

Tyler burst in through the front door, Arabella by his side. A guard swiftly walked over to them, “My Lord, Selaphiel and Azryel are in the infirmary.”

Arabella hurried with Tyler not far behind her. She knew her children were alright but she needed to see with her own eyes; the corridors felt like an eternity to navigate. When they finally reached the infirmary she opened the door fearing that her children would be disfigured due to their reckless attack. The room was white, the smell of antiseptic prevalent with two metal examination tables in the centre; on which laid her two remaining children. She moved quietly over as they seemed to be fast asleep, she counted their limbs to be relieved to find that they had retained them all. Her eyes moved over Selaphiel’s almost bare body seeing the lightsaber burns and cuts that were covering her back. Her heart sank knowing it was too much to hope for her children to be unscathed. She let out a breath she was unaware she had been holding. She then realised she wasn’t alone. Ayliena and the family Physician Zeuiet; a pure blooded Sith who along with his family had been in the Farren employ for generations,

“My Lady Arabella, Lord Tyler,” He said inclining his head to him as he entered the room,

“Azryel and Selaphiel are fine, a few lightsaber cuts and burns but after what they did I would say they are fortunate that that is all they got.” He walked over and put his hand on Arabella shoulder, “they should wake any minute now and be able to return to their rooms tonight.” He gave her a sympathetic smile and left the two parents with their children.

“You couldn’t give us a few minutes Ayliena could you?” Arabella asked,

“Of course my lady,” The young Twi-Lek bowed and went to busy herself elsewhere on the estate.

“Mother?” A groggy Selaphiel said, trying to turn to see who was in the room with them.

“I am hear sweetheart we both are,” She replied taking one of Selaphiel’s hands and gently rubbing with her thumb; while Tyler gave his daughter a kiss on the forehead.

“What happened Selaphiel? Why did you and Azryel,”

“Tyler not now,” Arabella said firm but quietly

“It’s okay. Azryel had a plan and I followed him. We killed the Jeshor family and came home.” She tried to get up her but body screamed in protest, a grunt escaped her lips and she lay back down.

“But I specifically said,”

“I know Father but we could not let it be so we did something. It may have been the wrong thing to you but we felt it was the right thing. Me and Azryel,” She stopped as she heard Azryel starting to wake up,

“Azryel,” Arabella said taking his hand with her free one. She could see his face; it looked a lot older than when she had left them just over a week ago. The light in his eyes had been extinguished, just sorrow lived there now and a small burning fire of anger.

“Mother,” he replied with no emotion just as an almost reflex answer to his name being said. He drew the Force to him strengthening himself, enough to get up. His eyes then moved over both his Mother and Father, their minds were unshielded against his mind probing and he didn’t have to look very far at all until he discovered something, “What is the secret you have been keeping from us?” his voice had an edge of anger to it.

“Azryel now is not the time for these kinds of discussions. You should focus on getting well.” Arabella said with a loving smile,

“No, now is the right time. So tell us.” Azryel demanded, he wasn’t interested in asking for their permission,

“Do not speak to your Mother that way!” Tyler allowed his voice to rise at his son’s rudeness especially after what he had put Selaphiel through.

Azryel just held his Fathers stare then got up and left the room, his mother was right now really wasn’t the time. He wandered into his room and placed himself gently on the bed. After a moment of silence is emotions overcame him and tears fell like rain drops and the silence was filled with his sobs.

Ayliena watched Azryel for a moment. Ever since he had returned he had been different, damaged. She moved over to him and lay on the bed next to him taking him in her arms, “I’m here it’s okay,” she felt him loosen into her embrace and take hold of her arms as if they were a life line keeping him from falling into a bottomless chasm.

It had been a few days since the battle at the Jeshor estate, the rumour mill had been circulating about the death of Sariel and how her two surviving siblings charged the estate slaughtering hundreds of Jeshor guards and slaves, followed by the slaying of the entire family. As far as Selaphiel could remember it certainly wasn’t hundreds of people, and rumours saying that she carried five lightsabers and floated them all around her like a personal protection detail were some of the wilder things she had heard. She was sat in the main lounge; she could see the sofa that Sariel had been sitting on a few days ago, her smiles and her sparkly yellow eyes. And then there was Ehno always standing a few feet from her, he had always been around ever since Selaphiel had been a child and so always a pillar of strength and composure. She took a deep breath in focusing on the present. The sofa had Mother and Father sitting side by side and Azryel was standing in the corner, patiently waiting for an explanation from Mother and Father.

Arabella looked at her husband and nodded. Tyler leaned forward in his seat, “We said that you could have answers. We were going to tell the three of you when we got back from Korriban but,” He gave a quick cough to push his sadness back, “You need to know anyway. Twenty years ago there was a council of the twelve clans, of which we are part of. The Kelsat family which if you remember are a family of seers. They had received a vision in which the Sith people were destroyed.”

“We were destroyed? By what?” Selaphiel asked,

“The Jedi my dear; the Jedi and their armies wipe us out. We discussed the vision at length but in the end we all agreed that something needed to be done. Options were looked at to try and avert it but in the end we were always destroyed. A radical plan was put forward; it revolved around us surviving the Jedi purge.” He got to his feet and began pacing, “The Solcah clan, the greatest alchemists to ever live explained that each family would have three children that would be conceived with the help of alchemy. This would enable those three to be immortal in as much as immune from sickness and time.”

“What!” shouted Azryel, “Are you trying to say that we were made in some kind of laboratory?”

“They used genetic material from your Mother and myself, so you are our children there was just Force manipulation in there as well so that you can survive the impending future.”

“I don’t believe what I am hearing,” Selaphiel said, shock prevalent on her face.

Azryel’s world fell around him, he had lost his sister, he had killed a child who was just trying to defend his home and now it turns out that he was some kind of freak of nature. Who was he now?

“Look, you’re Mother and I could not have children, so we took the opportunity and were gifted with three wonderful children. You have to see how important you are not just to me and your mother but the survival of the entire race,”

Azryel laughed, he had heard enough. He walked out of the room, he thought he heard a voice shout after him but he carried on going as if in some kind of trance. He entered the library and opened the door to the sealed catacombs. He walked into Tamzin’s tomb only to find the ghost sitting there looking at him. “Did you know?” he asked,

“I did and it didn’t make a difference one way or another.”

“How can you say that, I’m a, well… I don’t know what I am, but that is okay?” Anger rose up within him,

“Yes and in time you will see that too.” She moved of the coffin and opened the lid, handing him the mask and her lightsaber. “On your journey may these help defend you from that which seeks to destroy you,” she leaned in and pulled the necklace of her corpse, “and this, this is so you can remember that you are my heir and that hasn’t changed.” She slipped the necklace around his neck before he could refuse. She leaned in and gave him a kiss on the cheek before vanishing.

Azryel was stunned and still struggling to piece together everything in his own head, he needed to get away from this place. He walked over to the coffin and removed the holocron. He would repair it, so that he could continue his education and maybe find himself. With that he headed back to his room.

Ayliena was curled up in bed her eyes unable to close, there was change in the air she could smell it. She let out a deep breath of air and felt a tingle run down her spine. She wasn’t alone, she turned as the light came on revealing Azryel in the corner of her room watching her, “What the hell are you doing Az!”

“Sorry, I… I just came to say goodbye.” He said quietly,

“Where are you going?”

“Away, I need to get my head straight. There are something’s that I can’t deal with while stuck here,” his eyes fell to the ground; this was such a hard goodbye.

“I understand, but I am coming with you.”

“What?” his eyes came up watching the Twi-Lek slid out of bed in her night dress, which made Azryel blush, swiftly averting his gaze, “I can’t let you do that Ayliena, I don’t even know where I am going.”

“I know Az, did you really thing that after all these years I didn’t know that. Without me you would just wander around in circles,” She laughed, “That why you need me, besides I am your slave so I have to come with you.” She walked over to him and put her hand under his chin tilting his head to face her, “I am your friend; I will come with you slave or no slave.”

Azryel watched her walk away and pull out a bag and start to slip some traveling clothes on, making Azryel blush once more dropping his head and eyes out of the way. He was convinced she was doing it on purpose.

“Well I am ready, you ready?” she said tapping his shoulder,

“Yeah,” he took a deep breath, “let’s go.” With that they left the room, the future before them.

Edited by FallenNightAngel