The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

While getting to endgame

crowforwolf

I'm a working dad and an alt-aholic. I've been a subscriber since launch and have three chars up to 35, but this time back I've decided to try vanguard shields. I play so sporadically that I imagine I'll have to settle for pickup teams as a tank is really for a team rather than solo. I've read a lot on of pve and pvp shield builds for end game., but I wondered if anyone has input for the journey to it. Realizing that most people get there quickly, I get why the attention is on end game. But whith the pattern I get to play, it will take a while. Is the journey to endgame just about learning your rotatation and skills, or are there pitfalls/kernel of knowledge that anyone can share for the pre-endgame solo tank that wants to learn how to tank right for a group?

I have to ask, are you intending to be a PVE or PVP tank? My apologies if I missed that in your OP....

Beyond that, My initial suggestion is this: If you want to go Shield Spec, then build it up and stick with it.... Don't try some hybrid Shield/Tactics build to level and then decide to switch to a full Shield later. Spec for shield and learn it. Be warned though it takes a while since killing anything is like drinking milk with a fork.

Personally, I love my VG tank and the sometimes-feeling of invincibility (until I die horribly under a dog-pile of mobs).

That, and don't stack your absorb stats....

This is an example of skill point distribution (with some leftover points you can put wherever):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMGrdorordRRZbcZb.3

Edited by Marrkin

I have to ask, are you intending to be a PVE or PVP tank? My apologies if I missed that in your OP

Well, I mostly play PVE, but I want to learn to tank PVP as I learn the class. I'm pretty good at healing in PVP, but tank is a whole other play style I'm learning. And to be a bad tank in PVP is no fun. I'm starting to get the hang of it though. I don't have any taunts yet. Those will come in handy.

I hear you and staying fully shield. That's my intention.

When I get frustrated I switch back to my sorc :)