Krayt Dragon Pearl

Canavet

Is anyone having issues with trying to get these frickin pearls????

I have spent 10 of thousands of creds running missions to pick these things up and am starting to thinking it's Biowares idea of a joke. (Let's give them the schematics... but not the materials!!!!)

I know it's a grade 3 gemstone and I am running any mission that offers them. But I have yet to pick one up in the past couple of months. And I have run alot of missions!! I know they are rare but this is to the point of being non-exsistent. By the time I actually find one... the dye mod that I create will have to be priced beyond absurdity... just in order to recover the creds lost trying to get them.

And if you look them up on the GTN... they are waaaaaay out priced there as well.

Any suggestions?

If you're just running the standard missions hoping for a crit to get artifact quality mats, then that's probably not going to be a cost-efficient way to do it. You'd be better off buying some artifact quality crafting missions off the GTN because you're guaranteed to get them when you run those.

YES! These are a MAJOR pain to get. Only run rich/bountiful missions or grab a discovery as the previous reply suggested. Having leveled all mission skills to 450, I find the low-level TH purples to be the hardest mats to get. Maybe it's confirmation bias on my part, but I've always felt like I had the hardest time getting Chrysopaz (sp?) & Krayt Dragon Pearls.

On another note... maybe this should go in the crew skills sub-forum. ;)

they're like 8k on the GTN on my server - I just checked - instead of the thousands of credits to mission one.. just buy what you need and be done with it.. would love to see an ability at some point to use higher level crafting supplies in order to make low-level stuff put in ... the tier 9 crafting supplies used to make the tier 2 or 3 patterns (kind of how you could put a tier 2 or tier 3 augment in an mk-9 slot were you to want to.

that way if a lvl 55 wants to make some boots for an alt.. we don't have to go waste time running missions for 4 hours in order to do the boots, then wait the 20 minutes for the boots to craft. just let us use the stacks of tier 9 mats we have in our bankslots to craft the darn lvl 19 orange - unmodded armor shells please :)

edit: on Harbinger server they're merely 4900 credits.. just checked in on a 2nd server I have toons on.. thank you BW for your last year server merges for having my toons all over the place and then NOT getting transfers into 2.2 as promised so i can pay more of my money to fix your craptacular destination server.. For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge!

Edited by Feztonio

I am not sure about the Pearls but other low level purple mats have definately become more rare recently to the point that its pointless crafting purple mods and armorings as the cost of making and then selling to the target purchaser and giving them a fair price is not possible.

For example Krayt Dragon Scales on the couple of servers I have checked cost between 7-10k. You put 4 of these in a Mod and you are talking at least 28-40k before adding the other cheaper mats. And these are for characters at lvl 25 ....and that is not taking account of any profit margin for the crafter either.

Something si broken somewhere. I don't believe people are hoarding thse items as very few are selling these items and the few that do seem to be clueless as to their value which suggests that they are just crafting the odd few items on their way to levelling up their crafting skill.

My own thoughts are that the Devs are either unaware of this issue or that they have deliberately made purple items rare as people can "get by" with blue items and xp boosts / weekends etc. Would be very interested in hearing their words on this matter.

Could it be that one gets them only with "critical success" in missions ? I mean the Pearls.

Meaning that if so, only companions with crit should look out for them, I guess ?

I don't get the pearls often, too.

They're indeed rare.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Why don't you go to the krayt dragon graveyard on Tat, and do some krayt dragon hunting ? oh, wait... :(

Now that you mention it... I've never seen a live Krayt except when I was looking for the bones of Qyez's father. In otherwords... I don't think you can even farm these... hmmmm :cool:

Is anyone having issues with trying to get these frickin pearls????

I have spent 10 of thousands of creds running missions to pick these things up and am starting to thinking it's Biowares idea of a joke. (Let's give them the schematics... but not the materials!!!!)

I know it's a grade 3 gemstone and I am running any mission that offers them. But I have yet to pick one up in the past couple of months. And I have run alot of missions!! I know they are rare but this is to the point of being non-exsistent. By the time I actually find one... the dye mod that I create will have to be priced beyond absurdity... just in order to recover the creds lost trying to get them.

And if you look them up on the GTN... they are waaaaaay out priced there as well.

Any suggestions?

I have a few stacks of them in my cargo hold. They don't come quickly, but I have not had much trouble getting them from rich and bountyful missions and crafting missions from slicing crits.

I don't sell purple mats or purple crafted items and tend to run in blues before cap. I do craft some purps for my wife because she likes them while leveling. So they tend to stack up for me. That is especially true for things like the Pearls since they have limited use (one or two hilts on some characters as opposed to the number of armorings or mod required).

On the whole, I don't think that I am seeing any difference between purple mat drop rates between the different crafting skills and at different levels.

As others have said, just buy what you need if you are rng deprived. One stack ot ten turadium goes for 18 to 20K and by running rich scavaging missions you can convert the mats there to low level purples easily by selling and buying. The level 9 Dip and much of the Bio stuff again sells for a lot of credits and those can be used to buy lower level mats as well.

Edited by asbalana

I am not sure about the Pearls but other low level purple mats have definately become more rare recently to the point that its pointless crafting purple mods and armorings as the cost of making and then selling to the target purchaser and giving them a fair price is not possible.

For example Krayt Dragon Scales on the couple of servers I have checked cost between 7-10k. You put 4 of these in a Mod and you are talking at least 28-40k before adding the other cheaper mats. And these are for characters at lvl 25 ....and that is not taking account of any profit margin for the crafter either.

Something si broken somewhere. I don't believe people are hoarding thse items as very few are selling these items and the few that do seem to be clueless as to their value which suggests that they are just crafting the odd few items on their way to levelling up their crafting skill.

My own thoughts are that the Devs are either unaware of this issue or that they have deliberately made purple items rare as people can "get by" with blue items and xp boosts / weekends etc. Would be very interested in hearing their words on this matter.

To get purple crafting materials you have to score a critical on the mission, which is hard, but part of the issue is that the characters affection affects it, the higher the affection the more likely you are to score a critical and get the material. Unfortunately who can max out a characters affection by the time we're crafting level 3 or 4 equipment, not me.

To get purple crafting materials you have to score a critical on the mission, which is hard, but part of the issue is that the characters affection affects it, the higher the affection the more likely you are to score a critical and get the material. Unfortunately who can max out a characters affection by the time we're crafting level 3 or 4 equipment, not me.

The key is how long you have been playing and how much crafting that you do. For new players or those who do not craft to a great degree maxing out your companions affection is just about impossible and remember you have five companions to send out at cap.

If you have been around for a while and have TH on a few characters and/or have a ton of credits then it is easy peasy. Just bombard your companions with gifts. I only run rich gem missions on my TH guys, so usually have a number of companions to run grade 6 gift missions. The gifts are relatively cheap that way and you can juice up companions quickly with them if you do not sell them off on the gtn.

Edited by asbalana

With a max affection companion, its really not that rare. Run only the Rich and Bountiful missions. Devote a companion or two to them. You get 3 per critical success. When I was making purple dyes for some guildies I think I pulled in on average 9 a night over the course of a few hours.

They're overpriced in the GTN because people usually don't run those missions, just the high end stuff.

Also, always shop the GTN for cheap missions in that level range. They always return them, just keep in mind the price conversion (IE Don't pay more for the mission than 3 of those is worth)

If you're just running the standard missions hoping for a crit to get artifact quality mats, then that's probably not going to be a cost-efficient way to do it. You'd be better off buying some artifact quality crafting missions off the GTN because you're guaranteed to get them when you run those.

This.

And it's pretty much true for any purple crafting mat you can get from crew skill missions. Best to simply purchase appropriate level missions off the GTN. That way you'll always get some of what you're looking for. Still not cheap but cheaper than running randoms hoping for a mission crit.

How do I get these missions ?

From missions, critical success ?

These missions come from slicing cans (for lack of a better word). If you have that crew skill. Or you can check the GTN. But you can also get them from running the "abundant" type missions.

These missions come from slicing cans (for lack of a better word). If you have that crew skill. Or you can check the GTN. But you can also get them from running the "abundant" type missions.

Thank you. So Slicing is it, then. I think that I'll have to push this, then. Thank you.