CPU Parking (good or bad)?

jayaredahl

Quick question for you technically savvy guys/gals. If you have a quad core processor and 2 are parked, is it best to "unpark" these to get a better experience in the game. I have 8 gig ram and integrated graphics card (shares chipset with memory...most of my problems lie here im sure), and im not sure if unparking these additional cores will boost performance at all or if there are negative affects in doing so (reduced battery life, overheating, etc.). I've heard they unpark themselves as needed but not sure really. Just want to utilize my machine since it runs game ok to average. If anyone has experience doing this please let me know. And if you have done this, is this just done using min/max variables in the regedit? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Your bottleneck is going to be the onboard graphics, honestly. I don't know how much performance unparking your cores will give you, but the easiest way to test is this. Just change your power setting from Balanced to High Performance. In order to see that option, you have to expand the option to "Show Additional Plans" under Power Options in the Control Panel.

No registry edits are really necessary. The High Performance power option disables core parking.