Help me RAGE!

JLazarillo

This is regarding the resource, not the spec.

Probably.

Here's my beef: I need to make a new Warrior (yes, need, altitis is a helluva drug) to replace my old level 50 who I deleted for being too pink. However, I'm pretty awful with the Warrior/Knight classes, and the biggest source of my frustration with them is resource management. I always feel like I don't know how to use my Rage in the most effective way, nor how to effectively build it, for that matter.

How much Assault is too much? How much, for that matter, is not enough? Should I try to build to 12 and then spend, spend, spend, or should I just utilize what I have when I get it? Any other tips I should know? Are there any specs (preferably for Juggernauts...like their style a little more...but I'm trying to be open minded) that are just generally better for managing Rage, from level 10 on up?

And on a similar note, is there any way to get a numerical display for Rage, like I can for every other class' resource? In the 5-10 range I start having trouble figuring out exactly how many little squares I have.

well, the best spec when leveling right now is Vengeance. Shien form gives you a ton of rage savings, and Rage development. although I'd also say that Rage up to mid 20's can be fun too. but it suffers from Rage production and useage in ways that Vengeance doesn't.

For Rage managment, it sounds like your trying to micro-manage it a bit too much possibly. if your using Sunder smartly, you should have the rage needed for a solid rotation of skills (though it's really more of a priority cycle). the downside with leveling is that you don't have all the tools right away...

At lower levels, ravage ASAP should be top priority. as you gain levels, this becomes less of a prio, but its still great early on in the fight. free damage, and a ton of it. you build rage while your executing it.

It's not optimal for larger groups of weak mobs though. I will usually use it on silvers or above. outside of that. Vengeance gets a free smash, so using that on CD as you level is also good. my typical prio list on a leveling Jugg is:

leap (throw if its available)

smash

If silver or greater, ravage

check rage...more then 4-5? then use impale/V.slash. less then 4-5? use sunder, then followup with Impale/vSlash.

Scream.

once you get the talent that resets ravage, then use the proc as soon as it's up. keep in mind that a decent rotation prior to 45 will include smash, impale, and scream (and oftentimes one VS). in shien, a cycle of impale, slash, and scream will cost 8 rage (smash is free). 10 rage if you get a riposte proc. sunder is 5 rage every 12 seconds (with talent). given average rage production for the jugg, you can do one complete cycle per sunder I've found 9this is very generalized).

So essentially you just need to throw, leap, smash (or ravage), check rage, and hit your cycle. you will often find yourself with excess rage after a few mob groups...just delay sunder a skill or two. often if i leap and i have half a bar of rage, ill throw out impale and a scream, and usually at that point I can sunder and follow up with smash or ravage or just a VS to dump rage. VS is your rage dump, especially pre-45. Got nothing else to push, and extra rage? VS. this happens more then you would think pre-45.

the two best talents outside of the vengeance tree to help are Decimate and enraged sunder. i invest in those skills early on, even if i haven't capped my vengeance tree yet. the two extra rage per sunder is huge, and the CD reduction for smash really makes it fit into your rotation allot better. plus, with your free smash in vengeance, the extra damage and reduced CD affect you quite a bit.

I appreciate the tips. I know I'm over-thinking things...but since I don't seem to grasp how to use the mechanic instinctively like some people do, it seems like the next best thing. I had been leaning towards Vengeance, it's nice to see that's probably the right call, and nice to have some leads in terms of how to make it work, at that.

• 4 weeks later...
I just want to come back and thank you again, Elyx. Thanks to the 2XP weekends, I've made quite a bit of ground, nearly hitting 50 with my new Juggernaut. Vengeance has been hella fun. Really feels the part, wading through a sea of enemies, doing plenty of damage, but maintaining even enough Rage to spare.