The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How many languages does the typical person speak?

Khevar

In the Star Wars universe.

I found it interesting in playing the game that my character speaks Basic, Huttese, Wookie, Jawa, Rodian, Rakata, Droid, and I'm sure several others.

Basically, there was no point in the game that required access to a protocol droid that knows over six million forms of communication (:)), despite the many languages being spoken in game.

Now, I'm sure that some of this was due to convenience of gameplay, but it got me thinking. In the ANH, Obi-wan seemed quite prolific in language, but Luke less so (thinking about the bar fight scene).

So you suppose that most people who live in the Star Wars universe speak 5-10-15 languages? Or is that just reserved for Heroes. :)

I think it'd be easy for some to understand a multitude of languages, I mean, in a galaxy so diverse they end up growing up hearing it, I'm sure they'd understand.

But erm, in KoTOR, wasn't it explained that Revan was able to speak to the Rakata only after taking time to learn their language? How is it that our characters just know the language of a long forgotten race.

It's Shyyriwook, not "wookie".

The one thing I probably miss most about pre-cu SWG is the languages. It was a nice touch that you had to be taught a language by a speaker of that language until you could understand and speak it. If you didn't know the language someone used with /Bothan you would only see "X tries to communicate in a language you don't understand" when using /say. Only Twi'leks could use a special language only other Twi'leks understood by communicating with the Lekku.

It was such a fun thing :D

Edited by Jandi

...........Babel Fish?

Generally, universal translators probably are a possibility of what goes on. Sure, a Jedi or a Sith or even a field operative might be well versed in alien languages, but what about Smugglers? Bounty Hunters? Those go unexplained.

I think it'd be easy for some to understand a multitude of languages, I mean, in a galaxy so diverse they end up growing up hearing it, I'm sure they'd understand.

But erm, in KoTOR, wasn't it explained that Revan was able to speak to the Rakata only after taking time to learn their language? How is it that our characters just know the language of a long forgotten race.

Not really, I frequently hear Hindi and Islamic speakers, but I don't understand a word they are saying, I used to know a few Welsh words, but I have forgotten them.

Learning languages is not easy, you might learn a language if submerged in it, like how an english person living in France for a few years would learn French, but if you are constantly hearing loads of languages you learn none. And in Starwars you would have to be learning about three a year (from about twelve) to cover even the basic common languages, admittedly in the game you only come across three or four languages, but to be that fluent in them would be hard.

I think a typical human can speak 3, i however only speak 2.

the smartest man ever, was enable to speak 42.

The overwhelming majority of human beings on this planet only speak one language. Learning a language isn't really difficult, it just takes time and effort unless you're a savant with languages and just "get" them but even then, translating from one language to another takes time to do in any fluent manner.

I speak 3 languages, 2 more in a poor manner and it's very easy to mix them up because you have 5 words for every concept and thing in your head. For example you can say coffee to me in English, Finnish, Swedish, German and Russian and to me you are still saying coffee. The subconscious doesn't really differentiate between which letters you use to form the word that is used to describe the concept.

In KoTOR II, I think it was, HK-51 mentioned that languages can be interpreted and taught by the Force. "Intuitive language comprehension. A sign of Force Sensitivity."

Many people in the SW universe have to learn it the hard way, unfortunately, or have a translation (protocol) droid.

In the 1st KoTOR game, the Rakata tells"YOU", as Revan, that Darth Revan used the Force during his 1st visit to them, to rip their language out of their minds and at the same time put Basic into their's.

Edited by Darth_Krushya
spelling, grammar, more info