The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Mermaids: The New "Evidence"

KhalPwno

I leave the television on for my dog while I'm gone. I come home and see that Animal Planet (he watches some of their shows) is airing something called Mermaids: The New Evidence. Immediately, I assume it's just a documentary about a new species that vaguely resembles an obscure depiction of mermaids and they're using the name to glamorize the production.

I was wrong, of course. I watch it, the whole time thinking, "These guys are so full of it. This 'Dr. Paul Robertson' feels like a phony." Well, that's because he's not a real person. That's a character. :eek:

Does anyone feel that it's a bit irresponsible to air something like this? Not that any tangible harm comes from it, even if some morons believe they just saw actual evidence and scientists. I just feel that Animal Planet has violated truth and science a bit. Maybe that's dramatic and even insignificant (because those who would buy into the show weren't exactly bubbling over with scientific knowledge to begin with).

Is it just me? Am I oddly and inappropriately offended?:p

TLDR: Anyone think Animal Planet should have made it more obvious that this was fake, so as not to confuse masses who may not pick up on that, thereby promoting falsehoods as truths?

Edited by KhalPwno

When the show first aired last year NOAA was flooded with millions of requests for information on Robertson and his work. So much so that they issued and official press release stating that it was all fake blah blah blah. IMO anyone that can't tell the difference between obvious CG and a living creature, probably deserves to be made a fool of. I have seen transformers a number of times, but not once did i ask myself how long it took them to build those robots.

My mother had watched the entire show, explained it all to me and had me nearly sold on the idea hook 'n sinker.

Two hours later, she gets onto the computer to track down the truth... and we were both kinda ticked. True story.

I thought the idea of those channels was to show the truth as we know it, not make stuff up or use mythology (unless stated otherwise in the title, which is was not).

Oh, and just prior they aired some show evaluating an alleged 1947 video depicting an alien autopsy. Of course, fake. What's up with my Discovery and Animal Planet? Catering to stupid doesn't make the country any smarter. Edited by KhalPwno