Speccing for PVE

mjsigster

Hello all,

I have been playing my mara for a while now and have pretty good experience with all three trees. (mostly carnage tho) I made this toon mostly for playing ops with an organized guild. I originally started out playing anni but had read on here that it got killed by recent nerfs so leveled mostly as carnage.

However, I was talking to one of the people in the ops team and he said they would definitely prefer anni over carnage for their ops. It seems pretty clear that rage is the best PVP spec but what are some opinions on here for what is the best PVE operations spec? I'd rather play carnage bc I have the most experience in that but I also dont want to hurt my team.

Since I havent played anni in a while, I am a little rusty on the rotation and where I should use Deadly Saber. Is it generally Charge, Battering Assault, Rupture, Annihilate? And do I use Deadly Saber right after Charge? Is it a waste to use one of the Deadly Saber attacks on a Rupture bc it is already a bleed attack or does it like double the bleeds or something? Also, when you can use Berserk, does the rotation change or is it the same?

Thanks in advance

Hello all,

but what are some opinions on here for what is the best PVE operations spec?

You might do slightly better DPS in some encounters with Carnage and with Annihilation in others, provided your skill in both is equal. Carnage maybe takes a little less damage, but Annihilation heals are a meaningful help to the group. In addition, the new Annihilation 5% DMG debuff that seems to work on bosses also is very nice IMO considering its relatively high uptime. I prefer Annihilation in OPS. Carnage is more fun and generally easier to be effective with in thrash packs, but that doesn't really matter that much. Annihilation rotation is easier to do very good sustained DPS to one target IMO - doesn't mean that Carnage isn't viable of course.

where I should use Deadly Saber.

When it is off CD. :)

Is it generally Charge, Battering Assault, Rupture, Annihilate? And do I use Deadly Saber right after Charge?

Opening: Force charge->Deadly saber (in air)->Battering assault->Rupture->Annihilate->Ravage. So yes, you should use Deadly saber right after Force charge.

Is it a waste to use one of the Deadly Saber attacks on a Rupture bc it is already a bleed attack or does it like double the bleeds or something?

It is not a waste, it adds to Deadly saber and adds its own DoT as well.

Also, when you can use Berserk, does the rotation change or is it the same?

It is better to use Berserk on Deadly saber rather than Rupture, but you shouldn't overly worry about this, and just try to keep your priority abilities off CD as much as possible. Don't reapply Rupture before all ticks are in. Keep Deadly saber, Annihilate and Vicious throw on CD. Use Force charge, Battering assault and Assault to build rage when below 7 or so. Use Ravage and Dual saber throw as fillers, and if you have surplus rage and everything better is on CD, then use Vicious slash.

Edited by Ausst

Carnage is more fun and generally easier to be effective with in thrash packs, but that doesn't really matter that much.

I find trash easier, particularly AoE, with Annihilation due to Deadly Saber and Dual Saber Throw and/or Sweeping Slash.

Maintaining the Annihilator buff is essential to ensure max DPS in Annihilation spec, thus in fights where this might fall of Carnage will be superior.

I wrote a very length and comprehensive guide to Annihilation - see the link in my signature - that covers every topic/question for the spec. I do agree with most everything Ausst outlined too; however, you should work Ravage into your regular rotation. It is best to use right after you use Rupture assuming the CDs on Deadly Saber, Annihilate and Vicious Throw are at 2s or more.

You might do slightly better DPS in some encounters with Carnage and with Annihilation in others, provided your skill in both is equal. Carnage maybe takes a little less damage, but Annihilation heals are a meaningful help to the group. In addition, the new Annihilation 5% DMG debuff that seems to work on bosses also is very nice IMO considering its relatively high uptime. I prefer Annihilation in OPS. Carnage is more fun and generally easier to be effective with in thrash packs, but that doesn't really matter that much. Annihilation rotation is easier to do very good sustained DPS to one target IMO - doesn't mean that Carnage isn't viable of course.

When it is off CD. :)

Yep, thats true. In more easy to read terms, Use it every time it comes off cooldown

Opening: Force charge->Deadly saber (in air)->Battering assault->Rupture->Annihilate->Ravage. So yes, you should use Deadly saber right after Force charge.

you took the words out of my mouth.

It is not a waste, it adds to Deadly saber and adds its own DoT as well.

Yep, started to notice that... got kinda annoying but was useful at the same time.

It is better to use Berserk on Deadly saber rather than Rupture, but you shouldn't overly worry about this, and just try to keep your priority abilities off CD as much as possible. Don't reapply Rupture before all ticks are in. Keep Deadly saber, Annihilate and Vicious throw on CD. Use Force charge, Battering assault and Assault to build rage when below 7 or so. Use Ravage and Dual saber throw as fillers, and if you have surplus rage and everything better is on CD, then use Vicious slash.

I use Ravage in my opener to get 2 stacks of Deadly Saber on the target while still dealing a boatload of damage.

Responses in Bold