The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvP tank viability question

Jedirecoil

I originally posted this in response to a thread on the PvP forum but figured i would post it here to see as its seems more relevant for here

(Original Thread)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=640862

My Question Is:

I love the play style of the PT/VG but with all the constant threads about PT/VG DPS trees being nerfed and unplayable its kinda hard to gage their situation in tanking, what few i do find seem pretty negative.

So i am interested in knowing how PT/VG are doing solely from a tanking point of view i am currently leveling a Juggernaut up (currently 37) but to me it feels really generic i love how unique PT & VG tanks are (level 25) but i don't wanna level it up if Guardians/Juggernaut really are that much better so any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

TLDR:

Solely from a tanking point of view (PVP and PVE) are VG & PT really that bad and should i stick to my juggernaut even though i prefer the VG/PT play style. thanks for any responses.

It is completely viable in both aspects, as long as you know what you should be doing, specifically in pvp. All 3 tanks have their own different feel but they all excel equally. I play a PT tank and as far as utility and survivability is concerned, i haven't had any problems.

We also have better damage output as tanks as compared to juggs due to our access to mildly mitigated elemental damage. The ability to shoot from a far also makes us better door/node guards than juggs, but not from sins. And we have Hydraulic Overrides now, which is a good utility. Sin has a similar ability just in shorter duration (immunity), while jugg does not have any. We are harder to root/slow because of this and can do most of our damage at 10m range whereas a rooted/slowed jugg has no option but to walk and to get to melee range considering all jumps are on CD.

People just don't see good PT tanks often that's why they assume it's unviable.

Edited by dijskykiller