The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Storm

MaiYun

Given the well documented nerfs / destruction of Vanguards in PVP especially ranked does anyone think that we should have Storm as a baseline ability usable in all specs?

For PVE - so many hard mode encounters have knockbacks / move out of aoe yada yada abilities that we lose so much DPS trying to get back on the target - Storm would allow us at least some mobility and allow us to get DPSing again

For PVP - Not a "real" solution but to do any effective damage (and no this wont fix the savage nerfs we got) we need to be in close range to the target so with Storm at least we could get back on the target. I've lost count how many times ive been knocked back or whatever on a target and then running back into a frontload of DPS and dead before i can get back onto them ; at least we could DPS "more" even though our damage is poor

Any views? Given they have ignored every other single post regarding our rather rubbish damage now

Given the well documented nerfs / destruction of Vanguards in PVP especially ranked does anyone think that we should have Storm as a baseline ability usable in all specs?

For PVE - so many hard mode encounters have knockbacks / move out of aoe yada yada abilities that we lose so much DPS trying to get back on the target - Storm would allow us at least some mobility and allow us to get DPSing again

For PVP - Not a "real" solution but to do any effective damage (and no this wont fix the savage nerfs we got) we need to be in close range to the target so with Storm at least we could get back on the target. I've lost count how many times ive been knocked back or whatever on a target and then running back into a frontload of DPS and dead before i can get back onto them ; at least we could DPS "more" even though our damage is poor

Any views? Given they have ignored every other single post regarding our rather rubbish damage now

First of all, you are reading to much rubbish. Vanguard is far from beeing obsolete, or weak. Yes, we were nerfed abit much, BUT that doesn't mean we are unable to dps or protect.

Tanks for PVP are very strong, while hybrid dps'es are breaking the limits. Yes, were are not a 3 button faceroll class anymore and im glad about it. Because now i actualy see good powertechs/vuanguards or no powertechs/vnauards at all (those who were bad, remained bad but now play smash).

With the right build, gear setup, and rotation you still melt everything.

One thing people do not get is that for warzones you need to be flexible. I am using 3 different builds with small tweaks to fill the gap in the team if nessesary. (tank, true beast+riot gas, pulsegen+HIBreset) and i do more than fine.

Our utilities are also very good (especialy riot gas), and with the right strategy they make you very hard to deal with.

It's more about player abilities and adjustment now than stupid 2-3 button rotation that does everything for you.

I recently have thought of something similar, but as storm is something very specific to tank spec, I wanted to make so that Storm is really a forte of this spec (and so also a way to replace the spec point that is left empty if Storm is baseline).

And I came with this :

Storm is baseline but as a 0-10m abiilty (similar to Zealous Leap - or may be a bit longer at 15m, not more). Tanks spec has a 1pt talent that makes it 0-30m (instead of learning Storm).

Improvements are only slight ones : reinforces Vanguard in his role of "hard to kite" in PvP, and is a little gap closers in case of bumps. Tanks are allowed to Storm below the 10m range which can help them for Ammo management against bosses that do not bump and such.

With this I think this change wouldn't unbalance the game badly and will not make the class suddenly the most OP ever.

One thing people do not get is that for warzones you need to be flexible. I am using 3 different builds with small tweaks to fill the gap in the team if nessesary. (tank, true beast+riot gas, pulsegen+HIBreset) and i do more than fine.

Would you mind sharing your builds?

I'm new to vanguard pvp and rather confused with all those builds going round the forums.

Thanks in advance!

True Beast + Oil Slick 11/8/27

http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/vanguard/24/?build=023200300010000000000000000000000203120000000000000000000000000003200322021002120230002000000000&ver=20

This build was vastly used before 2.0. It had best PVE results in terms of damage (not anymore), but with the additional points it had gained survivability and utility to reduce pressure from other team members.

This build can be altered for more personal protection, but i tend to teamplay, which makes explosive surge with static field just that much better (besides its 5% damage done reduction, not 2% damage reduction).

(i do switch some minor talents depending on team composition: skills like "tactical tools" "power armor" are natural choises. You can also resign from "static field" and "hyper assault cell" for "nightvision scope" and "rebraced armor")

Prototype ionic accelerator Hybrid:

Revolves around two skills: Hight Impact Bolt (and its ionic accelerator reset every 6 seconds) and Pulse generator talent adding up to 60% damage to your Pulse Cannon cone AOE.

http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/vanguard/24/?build=003200300000000000000000000000000223120220102210200000000000000003200322021000100000000000000000&ver=20

This is currently the best PVE dps build (with minor tweaks in side talents). It's also VERY successful in any croudfights (Bunker fights, Turret offense/defense with more than players, Ancient Hypergate mid fight, and of course Voidstar door fight). It's an aoe build with some single target finish.

The third build is my personal spec i would like for now to keep in private - its a tank hybrid.

Edited by Nezyrworks