The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The critical chance

Grobiou

I was reading that PT should run away from critical rating as fast as they can. Out of curiosity, I did some testing today 5 rounds of 36 secs with few enhancement modules with critical and 5 rounds with enhancement modules with power. Maybe it's a small number of tests but this is what I found:

I don't remember the correct number but when I add critical rating to get around a 20% critical chance then I get less than 18% criticals. When I remove all the critical rating to put power and go down around 15% critical chance then I get sometimes over 20% criticals. I understand that critical chance it's just the chance to critical on every hit but in the long run there should be trend to go around that critical chance. There has to be something wrong with the critical chance.

In the round with the most luck on criticals (without using shoulder cannon) I could hit around 78K damage in 36secs using gear without critical. But when the gear had critical, on the most lucky round I got 69K damage in 36secs.

hitting for 30 seconds will tell you nothing at all... there is too large of a chance for RNG to alter the results... if you are testing DPS changes with stats anything less then 5 minutes will be easily thrown off due to RNG...

Also the good powertech are not avoiding all crit they are mearly not getting to high into the DPS as long as you are under about 300 crit raiting you are not getting hit too much by the DR.

I don't do rated. Maybe on rated is all different and a DPS class don't get defeated for over 5 minutes due to healer and tank coordination. On my experience, under normal WZ conditions and after combat starts, at least someone is defeated before 36 secs. Every WZ have their objectives, but as a DPS role I measure success as to defeat or help to defeat more opponents than I get defeated. If success doesn't happen then frustration start to stack up and I'm not playing for frustration.

I must have results, at least, in 36 secs, not in 5 minutes. On my particular case, critical rating isn't the stat that helps me the most. That doesn't mean it's the same for everyone or for the next game updates.

If you are testing 36 sec blocks, you need to do 10+ tests of each type, and then use the averages from that. Otherwise you are not getting the full picture as the RNG will skew your results greatly. Not to mention proper testing of cool down effects becomes more difficult also.

THAT is why 5 min is the common benchmark for testing things. It's long enough that you can cycle through your cool downs several times and it's always equal for the different tests.

I was reading that PT should run away from critical rating as fast as they can. Out of curiosity, I did some testing today 5 rounds of 36 secs with few enhancement modules with critical and 5 rounds with enhancement modules with power. Maybe it's a small number of tests but this is what I found:

I don't remember the correct number but when I add critical rating to get around a 20% critical chance then I get less than 18% criticals. When I remove all the critical rating to put power and go down around 15% critical chance then I get sometimes over 20% criticals. I understand that critical chance it's just the chance to critical on every hit but in the long run there should be trend to go around that critical chance. There has to be something wrong with the critical chance.

In the round with the most luck on criticals (without using shoulder cannon) I could hit around 78K damage in 36secs using gear without critical. But when the gear had critical, on the most lucky round I got 69K damage in 36secs.

First of all you should state which spec are you playing.

For "Firebug" you should use around 150CR max (Above that you will be wasting power and lowering your damage substantively).

If you don't have "Firebug" than you should remove ALL crit from the gear, because you are lowering your power, and thus damage.

The wierd results on torparse of your overall crit are also shaped by the fact that you most probably have 4 pieces of PVP Eliminator set, giving you 15% HIB/RS crit chance bonus and thus enhancing average crit rate of all your attacks. The same thing goes for Demolitions/Prototype Burn Enhancers.

The viable tests for PVP should not exceed 36 seconds, and should be completed at least 10 times, then you should conclude an average of all those parses. (but since PVP combats are more than not, long enough you should still test normal 5min parses - i tend to test longer ones than shorter due to "in-combat" nature of pvp)