The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Should i Even Bother?

trentman

I hear horrible things about the vanguard since 2.0, im a new vanguard myself only level 22 atm. im enjoying the class so far but im afraid in higher level pvp i wont be able to compete with the insane amount of burst some other classes seem to have. Any advice on a possible spec or play style, or should i just quit while im ahead?

I'll keep it simple... Lv55 PvP Warzone, you against an average to good sniper, a 1 vs 1 stand off.

You won't even get close to him... and if you do, you're around 10% HP so he just finishes you off. :cool:

This taking into account that you're going DPS, if you go Tank, then the situation is another, you'll have a LOT more survivability.

How I know that? My own experience... I stopped using my vanguard in order to gear my Commando, but if you really like close range combat, go for it! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Currently playing tactics and trying to play more defensively, which was a hard adjustment from the "In your face" playstyle of assault, and I'm doing alright. Don't feel that gimped but you can feel the lack of burst. If you are enjoying the class mechanics, I would recommend continuing to level it. If I have learned anything from all the MMOs I have played, it's that what is underpowered today may not necessarily be underpowered tomorrow. Class changes happen

I'm not a pvp'er and rarely partake in that aspect of the game, unless I have no other option to complete something..

Vanguard is a versatile tank, or an average dps pve wise. I'd honestly say if you plan to just burn DPS go commando, but thats me. In pve as a tank, I can main tank if need be, despite contrary opinion, It can tank HM's and other flashpoints outside of melee range, at least I've never had problems rolling as a ranged tank, might get flamed or called a noob but what ever, never the less, never had a problem with it, nor has my groups, however I more often than not close the distance and fight point blank. Currently in less than optimum gear, mostly oranges and a few hard mode pieces, I'm sitting at around 21k HP at lvl 53 and havent been killed in a hardmode yet.

Shoulder cannon is a bit lackluster for a 50+ ability, but offers a bit of healing tacked on to it, usually ranging from 900-1050hp per shot at 4 shots, that can be used while held/stunned, gives you a bit of a breather, and at ~1minute cooldown, it does have its uses. It has finished off a boss or two while I was stunned for its last 1% lol.

As for the class and its mechanics, I have to say I love it for what it is. Overall, it can either be a beast of a tank, MT or OT, or a mediocre DPS, but the class is what you make of it.

This is all just my opinion, take from it what you can.

Only have 2 complaints thus far about the Trooper in general, the Ultimate gear looks goofy as hell(looks like mostly spandex than armor), and the storyline feels like its missing something.