The Dark Side of...compassion?

slayermasterz

Pigeonhole...? I mentioned all of two things, which each happen to define the sentiments of two orders that theoretically represent one side or the other ( with some obvious exceptions).

perhaps not tactfully put but my point is that :

" just as it's hard to imagine some actions normally considered light side as dark side. "

suggests there are only two options. Even in the game there's relatively few options that are dark or light side, you can do some pretty evil stuff and not move dark at all.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said that "SOME" actions seem only light side or dark side, which suggests specific actions, which I then proceeded to specify. If I had meant all actions are only ever light or dark, I would have said that. As that is not what I said, and I don't disagree that there are more than two options, we could continue to discuss the argument at hand. Edited by Bytemite

Yes, and I still think those actions could actually in most cases and for most people simply be neutral unless there is emotion and intent behind them which is why the Jedi strive to be dispassionate since if they never feel they never fall.

(Winging it now) maybe the Jedi could in the most cases be considered neutral utilising light side as oppose to pure light, light side would be the few altruistic individuals who use power to help others and often fall to the dark side as a consequence since the helping takes a back seat to the power used to help.

Yes, and I still think those actions could actually in most cases and for most people simply be neutral unless there is emotion and intent behind them which is why the Jedi strive to be dispassionate since if they never feel they never fall.

(Winging it now) maybe the Jedi could in the most cases be considered neutral utilising light side as oppose to pure light, light side would be the few altruistic individuals who use power to help others and often fall to the dark side as a consequence since the helping takes a back seat to the power used to help.

Could be. Although I might use if/when instead of since.

Luke thinks all Jedi eventually fall to the dark side and redeem themselves in the EU, and his interest with his new order is limiting the repercussions. At least that's what I remember, but maybe he grows out of that point of view later. He says that opinion after his own fall to the dark side then redemption, might colour his perception.

You know, I don't think any of this argument was around in the original trilogy, back then George Lucas' message was about good, and all the aspects of good, vs evil.

What a LOT of people simply successfully ignore, is that Luke strangles a few gamorrean guards in ROTJ.

People just choose not to remember this.