Canon version of False Emperor, BoI?

Idunhavaname

Anyone know if BW established a canon version of these FPs yet? Im thinking Empire since its an internal issue but I just dont see how Empire could mount an assault on Malgus in a weakened state. Plus I recall seeing Republic ships in the background of Emperors throne room. Then again, LI and Kaon seemed to lean on Republic side so it evens out if were arguing favoritism.

Plus I recall seeing Republic ships in the background of Emperors throne room.

I have always believed this to be a developer oversight. During both versions of the flashpoint, the corresponding fleet arrives to join the battle, but the only battle you ever witness is Republic Valor-class cruisers fighting Imperial Harrower-class dreadnaughts outside of the Emperor's throne room.

It's out in the open really, just like Malgus' final destiny I guess, having in mind he can now either be killed or thrown down the pit. When the DPS was high enough, he could still be killed for sure but that was kinda rare, at least from my experience.

Either way, there's nothing to suggest which one is truly canon, other than your personal leanings. Just go for the one that better fits the storyline; For me...

Battle Of Illum - Republic

False Emperor - Empire

The big plothole is that

A: The Empire really doesn't need a stealth fighter and can borrow the agent's ship.

B: The Republic or the Empire would have to be the ones to finish the BoI to then proceed to FE. With the Republic story arc, it seems the empire actually lacks the resources to go against Malgus after crippling losses to their operations.

The big plothole is that

A: The Empire really doesn't need a stealth fighter and can borrow the agent's ship.

B: The Republic or the Empire would have to be the ones to finish the BoI to then proceed to FE. With the Republic story arc, it seems the empire actually lacks the resources to go against Malgus after crippling losses to their operations.

That's not a plot hole. The Space Station was using a highly advanced stealth system and thus, they couldn't locate it. Both Republic and Empire used Serevin's ship to pinpoint the EXACT location of the Space Station.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not remember that the Agent's X-70B Phantom had a cloaking device whatsoever. At least I don't recall that it was ever referenced/used during the Agent's story. It might have been difficult to detect, but I never saw it use an optical stealth effect like Serevin's ship did.

And, as was explained, even if the Agent's ship would be suitable, it did not have the coordinates for Malgus' space station. The whole purpose of securing a stealth fighter was a) to get the coordinates to the station and b) get suitable means to approach the station without getting shot down (IFF codes).

Edited by BenKatarn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not remember that the Agent's X-70B Phantom had a cloaking device whatsoever. At least I don't recall that it was ever referenced/used during the Agent's story. It might have been difficult to detect, but I never saw it use an optical stealth effect like Serevin's ship did.

And, as was explained, even if the Agent's ship would be suitable, it did not have the coordinates for Malgus' space station. The whole purpose of securing a stealth fighter was a) to get the coordinates to the station and b) get suitable means to approach the station without getting shot down (IFF codes).

It had stealth plating and a cloaking device, just in limited use.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/X-70B_Phantom-class_prototype

Maybe it's just because I did it as an Imp first, but I always thought that the struggle against Malgus had more story resonance for Imperial players than Republic ones.

For the Pubs, Malgus is just that guy you catch a glimpse of in Master Satele's post-flashpoint briefings, who gives Kilran a few orders right before you kill him in the Maelstrom, and who briefly pops up in the Ilum questline. The questions of xenophobia and of who will lead the Empire, both of fairly essential importance to an Imp player, don't really mean that much to a Pub. Malgus or Marr or Arho or whomever: they're all just varying stripes of Sith.

Whereas an Imp player has seen him constantly for the majority of the game; he introduces and concludes every flashpoint, and you see even more of him in the "Call to Arms" framing quest for Boarding Party and the Foundry. On Ilum, Malgus sort of passes through the Pub story, but for the Imps, he's a central figure, with the antagonism between Malgus and Regus essentially driving the plot along until Malgus delivers his stab in the back.

Even Malgus' and Serevin's lines are better in the Imp versions of BoI and FE. Instead of "oh no, Supreme Commander Rans might die, who cares" or "show me the strength of your Republic", you get apocalyptic pronouncements on the future of the Empire.

It just makes more sense for me to paint the Ilum flashpoints as an internal Imperial struggle rather than the Pubs sticking their nose in and fiddling around. Kinda like how it makes more sense for the Pubs to be the ones fixing the rak outbreak in the Tion.

Yeah, neither of those things is particularly decisive or be-all end-all, and I know there's no actual canon for who did it (much like there's no canon regarding who defeated Bouris Ulgo, or who was the one to reach the Rakata ruins on Tatooine first). It's just my headcanon, and I like the way it fits.

Edited by Euphrosyne

Maybe it's just because I did it as an Imp first, but I always thought that the struggle against Malgus had more story resonance for Imperial players than Republic ones.

Funny, I did it first as a republic player and feel just the opposite. Regarding the whole Sith vs. Republic conflict, the one thing that stands out is that at least pre-2.0, the Sith have been doing a much better job at defeating themselves than the Republic could ever hope to do themselves. When Malgus shows up promising to get the Sith's crap together, as a Republic player, my reaction was that we have to stop this guy now.

Going through the story as a chiss bounty hunter on the Sith side, I was disappointed that my absolute loyalty to the racist, infighting Empire was never up for discussion. Whenever I do FE and Malgus announces that "One of you has vowed to join the New Empire", I always wish I could've joined him. I felt like my defeat of Malgus there was half-hearted.

I think Malgus is a great villain, and I look forward to his return. (Nobody seriously thinks he's really dead, right?) Personally I hope he does succeed in taking control of the Sith Empire. I miss his smiling face. Oh wait.

Funny, I did it first as a republic player and feel just the opposite. Regarding the whole Sith vs. Republic conflict, the one thing that stands out is that at least pre-2.0, the Sith have been doing a much better job at defeating themselves than the Republic could ever hope to do themselves. When Malgus shows up promising to get the Sith's crap together, as a Republic player, my reaction was that we have to stop this guy now.

Going through the story as a chiss bounty hunter on the Sith side, I was disappointed that my absolute loyalty to the racist, infighting Empire was never up for discussion. Whenever I do FE and Malgus announces that "One of you has vowed to join the New Empire", I always wish I could've joined him. I felt like my defeat of Malgus there was half-hearted.

I think Malgus is a great villain, and I look forward to his return. (Nobody seriously thinks he's really dead, right?) Personally I hope he does succeed in taking control of the Sith Empire. I miss his smiling face. Oh wait.

It's very possible to play as an Imperial who believes not that Malgus is wrong about the racism and whatnot, but that he is wrong to make the power play now, and in the way he does so. There's dialogue to support this in the final confrontation in Malgus' throne room, and with Regus et al. on Ilum.

Yes, Imp players are forced to fight Malgus, and for story reasons this is kind of necessary anyway, but they can construe that as fighting to put down a foolish campaign of pointless fratricide before it gets out of hand, rather than fighting to maintain the ridiculous xenophobic Imperial society as it was. An Imperial player opposed to the Empire's xenophobia can basically come out and say to Malgus, "okay, you're right about the Empire's weaknesses, but fixing them like this isn't the answer".