The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard Gear Discussion

Apocrypha

I was doing a glance at the stats on the gear and really wish bioware would be more consistent in how they assign stats to allow you a cleaner gear progression. Just adding the stats up off the MH, OH, Ears, Implants, Glove, Bracer, Pants, Belt, Chest, Helm and Boots these are what I got.

Arkanian has:

Aim 1529

End 2391

Absorb 423

Shield 690

Def 325

Underworld has:

Aim 1776

End 2344

Absorb 470

Shield 632

Def 531

Accuracy 79

Alacrity 79

Endurance went down across all the underworld pieces cept for a couple piece whereas aim went up by a lot, and then they threw in those two stats for giggles I guess.

What you have looks pretty good, just thinking of maybe min/max some of my mods tween Arkanian and underworld if possible to adjust things some. Got a long way to go before I get there.

there is a probleme with the math on this site you will not have 50% shield chance with this rating at level 55. but less then 40%. same probleme with the absorb.

the crit rating is totaly wrong too. its look like 1.7math with 2.0 stuff.

Edited by Callly

One of the biggest issue to gearing I honestly believe is the fact that they just seem to randomly slap stats on pieces. In other games if you had a certain set of stats on say a helm then as you progress you would just get more of those same stats on helms as you increase in gear rating.

With Swtor gearing totally screws up gear replacement since stats are all over the place. All that said Vanguard is for sure "feeling" better at this point than the shadow. Our Main shadow tank is more geared then my vanguard yet I seem to have a lot more survivability than he does.

To be honest my opinion is that since ive been playing as a trooper vanguard tank in PvE the best thing to do is ignore gear names, and aim towards initially reaching full 66, then develop your vanguard into 69 rated gear with focus on these:

Defence chance: 17-18%

Sheild chance: 30-33%

Absorb chance: 30-33%

Accuracy: 98-100% no more other wise its a waste.

remainder goes on endurance, aclarity is irrelevant for a tank tbh.

After this concerntrait on getting arkanian drops in operations to gain a set bonus, and eventually move towards building up to 72 rated gear without losing the percentages set.

I know the percentages seem low at the moment in comparision to before 2.0 but realistically the vanguard tanking has become more, ability and rotation dependant as a result of energy blasts new 25% absorb increase and changes to other abilities this makes for a much more constant higher stats during combat rather than the previous burst defensive cooldowns. (reactive shield is still the best defensive cooldown of the class)

Relics should also be considered, have on which is defence chance and the other absorb/shield chance. make sure that one is an equip/passive relic the other you can use as a defensive cooldown if nessicary in combination with riot gas.

This is how i choose to tank and believe its the best method here of how to set up your class for 2.0

any questions just ask

Jerikane - The Progenitor

(DISREGUARD THIS POST INCORRECT INFORMATION)

Edited by exsnowboarder
Changes in gear set ups (DISREGUARD POST)

• 11 months later...
Hi all, so I am one of those people who likes to have a clear goal in mind for the gearing of my character. As such I've trying to figure out what will be the BiS for a Vanguard tank.

This is where I've gotten so far http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/6493e2b7-7280-49b1-842f-403bfc26d498

Any thoughts, suggestions, or critiques would be appreciated.

Hello for 78 rated gear level you want to remove the defence augments and replace them with shield chance augments this will boost your numbers up, my current ratings are DEF: 20% (with 4 part set bonus add 2%) Shield: 41% absorb: 42% these are the margins which are averaged for DF and DP HM's, although if you are deadly serious about doing HM's you need two sets of tanking gear one for each ops as different bosses do different type of attacks in which favour certain mitigations. But 1 set like mine is perfectly sufficient. Tanking is more about doing what you are supposed to be doing at the correct times. The gear only makes the healers jobs easier.

If you need any other advice please don't hinder to ask there is much I haven't explained in this post I.E. relics, earpieces, barrels and implants etc.

Edited by exsnowboarder