Did they..

Nothematic

Did they make some optimizations with this patch? Didn't see anything in the patch notes but I've noticed a considerable reduction in frame stuttering on some planets, e.g Dromund Kaas and I've also noticed that loading times seem shorter to me, for example whereas loading Coruscant used to take about 45 seconds I'm now loading for about 25.

Props to BW if they did make these optimizations. It's noticeable.

Did they make some optimizations with this patch? Didn't see anything in the patch notes but I've noticed a considerable reduction in frame stuttering on some planets, e.g Dromund Kaas and I've also noticed that loading times seem shorter to me, for example whereas loading Coruscant used to take about 45 seconds I'm now loading for about 25.

Props to BW if they did make these optimizations. It's noticeable.

I'd love to think so. There seem to be things people are already finding that weren't included in the patchnotes, but should've been -- mainly because of how good they are!

Glad to hear this -- evne if it's just you doing better =P I wouldn't be surprised if it was partially un-intended side affects of fixing bugs, as well. Often times, fixing a handful of bugs can increase performance.

I'd love to think so. There seem to be things people are already finding that weren't included in the patchnotes, but should've been -- mainly because of how good they are!

Glad to hear this -- evne if it's just you doing better =P I wouldn't be surprised if it was partially un-intended side affects of fixing bugs, as well. Often times, fixing a handful of bugs can increase performance.

Or they could have optimized it for some configurations but not as a whole and some may not see any benefit so they didn't really want to advertise it and see a thread pop of people complaining that they didn't get better performance and that the devs are lazy (Note, NOT my opinion, just guessing what could have been)

They've said before that they're always working on optimizations to the game, but they don't often mention them in the patch notes.

Consider, "Optimizing Game Performance" to be a constant and ongoing thing.

Too bad they won't address some specific concerns... such as ability delay/stutter/lag that's in a current thread...

Too bad they won't address some specific concerns... such as ability delay/stutter/lag that's in a current thread...

Give them time, Bioware is fairly communicative compared to some companies, and certainly falls short of others.

I have to agree with OP. There seems to be some sort of optimization indeed. I did my usual routine of GSI dailies on Alderaan and found the loading times were a lot shorter than usual. Also, a lot less of stuttering and considerable less lag on this planet, that's a sure win for me.

Give them time, Bioware is fairly communicative compared to some companies, and certainly falls short of others.

Give them time? The ability delay/stutter has been around since the game's release. They make slight improvements, but when the server is busier (such as higher instanced areas like Makeb, operations, warzones, and Ilum during Gree Events) it's at it's worst.

That's been almost 1 1/2 years.

Give them time? The ability delay/stutter has been around since the game's release. They make slight improvements, but when the server is busier (such as higher instanced areas like Makeb, operations, warzones, and Ilum during Gree Events) it's at it's worst.

I raffed and I rost.

Lots of the patches include optimizations, most people just aren't observant enough (or don't care enough) to notice.

Unless I've been halucinating for the past couple weeks, 2.0 included an improvement to anti-aliasing. Shadows seem to be improved, too. Neither of those were announced. In the past, they also changed the priority/speed at which textures are pre-loaded, resulting in better framerates when entering new areas at the cost of some occasional texture pop-in. They had a drastic framerate smoothing optimization early on which involved running blocked/distant animations at reduced framerates (you can still see this in game now: distant creatures have slightly jerky animations). At some point after the mega-merges, the server latency dropped by 30% despite growing populations. I know that my graphics card used to drop to 40fps or so whenever a hologram filled the majority of the screen and there were animations behind it. This doesn't seem to happen anymore.

So far as I know, none of these were announced. The optimizations just happen and they don't bother us with the details as 98% of us would have no idea what they are talking about (despite 10% of us claiming we would).

Surprisingly, I've only ever noticed an issue once. . . . And I have NO idea what caused it.

Heroic 4 quest on Ilum at the end of the Seeker Droid questline. There were less than 50 people TOTAL on Ilum at the time, and not a particularly heavy server pop at the time, either.

The "ability delay" you speak of is NOT an issue affecting every player. Obviously having it affect anyone is bad, but with less than 50 people, you cannot rule out user error or problems with client-side connection -- something BW has no responsibility to fix, and often couldn't even if they wanted to.

If it is affecting a lot of people -- they do need to work on it. But, once again, I've only had the issue once. After leaving said area, it never happened again.

Same goes with everyone in my guild -- and everyone I know playing the game. So it isn't massively widespread -- meaning, it isn't something that can be fixed quickly.

Surprisingly, I've only ever noticed an issue once. . . . And I have NO idea what caused it.

Heroic 4 quest on Ilum at the end of the Seeker Droid questline. There were less than 50 people TOTAL on Ilum at the time, and not a particularly heavy server pop at the time, either.

The "ability delay" you speak of is NOT an issue affecting every player. Obviously having it affect anyone is bad, but with less than 50 people, you cannot rule out user error or problems with client-side connection -- something BW has no responsibility to fix, and often couldn't even if they wanted to.

If it is affecting a lot of people -- they do need to work on it. But, once again, I've only had the issue once. After leaving said area, it never happened again.

Same goes with everyone in my guild -- and everyone I know playing the game. So it isn't massively widespread -- meaning, it isn't something that can be fixed quickly.

Have you ever been on Makeb or Ilum during Gree when there's 9 instances up?

Spend some time looking in this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=628435