So do I just suck, or is this normal?

ChaoticHell

I'm level 32, a Sentinel, and I'm finding that even when facing just one strong mob, maybe a level higher than me, I'm getting taken down to about 35-40% health. I feel like this shouldn't be, as I'm consistently keeping my gear up to date by running FPs and spending my planet commendations every time new gear is available. I was almost solely specced into Combat but I'm now changing into a bit of a hybrid between the three trees to see if I fare any better. I'm going 2/5/15.

I don't mind having to stop fighting every few groups of mobs to heal up, but I'm starting to have to stop after every group, and in some cases if there's two strong enemies in the group I get extremely close to dying. Like within 100 HP. Though in other cases I find myself being able to cut through one gold and be left with half HP.

So is there anything anyone could recommend I try doing? Maybe a build or rotation or something, or is this really just how the class is supposed to be? I know DPS = Low survive-ability but so far since I've been running into these problems I've found the class to be a lot less satisfying and fun.

Honestly, Sentinels are pretty challenging up to their mid-30's. You get your healing companion waaay too late compared to other classes (especially Sith Warriors). You're relegated to liberal use of defensive CD's, interrupts, and relying on just blowing up your opponents before you die.

Somethings that might help include having Biochem as a crewskill, and keeping it leveled. The re-usable med-pack is a life saver, as are the adrenals, and constant stims.

Also, from personal experience, Watchman is a more viable early game solo-leveling spec. I like the self healing (it's not a lot, but it does help), as well as the reduced CD on Pacify and your Interrupt. Those 3 things will do wonders to keeping you alive when other Sents. might crump.

Once you get Doc on Balmorra though, your life will change. You will basically turn into a whirling dervish of glowing blades of death...unstoppable.

Edited by Brightblack

my main is a sent too and i felt the same way when i was leveling it, I switched to the watchman tree and it helped a bunch. The self heals aren't the best but they do help going against mobs and such. Once you get doc in balmorra you probably can switch to combat.

Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'll try specing into Watchmen when I log back in, and it's funny because for the first time I didn't pick biochem as my crew skill. I figured I wanted to try a change of pace since I've always used biochem on all my other characters. xD Figures.

Yeah, that'll happen after you hit 30. You start to feel really squishy and lose a lot of health in basic trash encounters, right up until you finally get your healing companion.

Then all of sudden soloing Heroic 2s becomes an absolute breeze. Seriously, it's amazing how much easier things get. Things eventually get more challenging again, but right after you get Doc, everything becomes far, far easier.

I found cybertech to be the perfect complement to levelling a sentinel not the least because it allows you to easily equip your ship droid which did a decent enough job until I got Doc. Also, watchman is the best spec for levelling. Used to be you could switch to combat in late 30s and do well, now it's not so great without blade rush so watchman is probably superior until you can get the top tier focus skill. Edited by Aelaias

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that Doc helps a lot with Sentinel builds. I can focus fighting and until boss fights, I end fights with 75 to 100 percent of my health in tack.

As far as crew skills go, I have only been building up scavenging throughout the game, but I did get tech skill when I started, so I guess I should start spending a bit of money building it up to help with T7, since Kira was my main companion once I got her as part my crew, so my Tank and loyal astromech needs some upgrades to help me out.

I wouldn't say you suck. Before Doc and Scourge, the best you can do (read the best I can do) is complete 2 pulls before needing to heal up. I would say I'm pretty experienced with the sent/marauder too. There's just nothing you can do until you get Doc or Scourge. Scourge is faster for leveling as long as he is equally geared. He takes a beating but you just unsummon him and summon him back again, bam full health. Because he's a tank you rarely ever take damage, and he does a good bit of his own. The leveling is pretty seamless with him, if I ever have to heal its when I stop for a second to look at the objectives on the map.