Combat Zen & The Art Of Dispatching

Plicitous

With Zen arguably being less useful than pre-2.0, and Dispatch getting buffed considerably, I''m wondering if it might be worth it for Combat Sentinels who focus on elder game PVE to put enough points into the Focus tree to reach Swift Slash for the sole purpose of increasing the crit rate of Dispatch by 7.5%. To make it possible, we'd have to sacrifice a point in Valor. I'm imagining something along the lines of 4/36/6.

Thoughts?

I think this may be just the thing for pvp too. Zen is less useful and can be accumulated passively during momentary lulls. Too bad it doesn't affect blade rush.

I don't like the build in the OP for PvP...no Displacement or Debilitation. I wouldn't give that up for the points in Focus.

Zen might not be as useful but Transcendence still is (though it's super easy to get 30 centering now out of combat but otherwise I'd rather have increased Centering building).

The build might be fine for PVE...I haven't done much of it on my Sent yet.

Edited by stuffystuffs

Zen might not be as useful but Transcendence still is (though it's super easy to get 30 centering now out of combat but otherwise I'd rather have increased Centering building).

I'm a fan of Transcendence as well but DPS comes first. Any buff to Dispatch deserves serious consideration because it's something that happens many, many times a boss fight thanks to the Hand of Justice proc.

Is a moderately less frequent Zen/Transcendance worth more than a 7.5% increase in the crit rate to a hard-hitting ability we use multiple times in every major engagement? I sincerely doubt it. Dispatch hits very hard.

Edited by Plicitous

Not sure. In the worst case scenario you use zen with strike to quickly build focus which you can then dump into blade rushes. In the best case scenario you have the 4 piece challenger set bonus and are getting a 4% damage increase on 3x bladerush and 1 bladestorm.

It is possible the dispatch is a higher damage output, I'm just not certain.

It's a waste to use zen to build up focus.

Only(!) time when it's waste to use zen charges for focus generation is when you have active precision or are trying to quickly burst healer down(and for that you should have focus stocked up anyway). Any other scenario results in same amount of damage over same amount of time, as you have to build up that focus at some point anyway. Heck, using focus builders first, eating up Zen charges allows following focus spenders to generate centering, and thus use Zen more often.

Zen is more useful now than it was before. 30% alacrity boost on all attacks.

t's not like you'd no longer get that boost. You just wouldn't get it as often. The difference between non-crit and crit with Dispatch can be quite significant and I'm guessing a 7.5% boost to the crit rate for Dispatch is probably enough to grant an extra crit every boss fight. Pure speculation without parses of course, I'm just spit-balling....

I'm a fan of Transcendence as well but DPS comes first. Any buff to Dispatch deserves serious consideration because it's something that happens many, many times a boss fight thanks to the Hand of Justice proc.

Is a moderately less frequent Zen/Transcendance worth more than a 7.5% increase in the crit rate to a hard-hitting ability we use multiple times in every major engagement? I sincerely doubt it. Dispatch hits very hard.

You could be right for PVE. I haven't had a chance to parse with my Sent yet, unfortunately, and haven't tried any of these.

My post was in reply to someone discussing the build for PVP.