The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Lvl 10 Powertech looking for DPS build for 2.0

Jeamus

Hey All,

I have a level 10 Powertech that I would like to start leveling but I am kind of stuck on where to put points for PVE leveling? I am unguilded so I will be doing pick-up groups for flashpoints and heroics. However, most of my time will probably be solo. I understand there are many upset Powertechs but I am not (and probably never will be) an elite player who cares about being at the top of the PVP or raid damage boards.

I was thinking about going up the Advanced Prototype tree but it looks like Rocket Punch is a big part of that skill and it is not a skill I really like to use. Pyro seems interesting but the Pyros seem to be yelling the loudest at the moment so not sure if going up that tree is worth it.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Jeamus

Well, you're kind of out of luck, all PT trees use rocket punch a lot, including the tank tree.

If you want to go the dps route while leveling, I would say go pyro initially. You see, AP, while a fun spec that I prefer personally, matures kind of slowly. The tree is about buffing your flamethrower with the prototype flame thrower skill in the tree. You cannot even invest points in the skill until level 30 (i think). That and the capstone ability, immolate, synergizes well with the tree so you have less flame burst spam and guarantees a rocket punch proc that generates no heat. If you want to have a little bit of an easier time until then, pyro might be the way to go. At level 30, you can always respec and try both damage trees and see which one you prefer.

just my 2 cents.

The problem what I see here is the immense amount of heat generated - with Pyro still more than with AC.

In lower levels ( I am 25 right now ) it is quite horrible. I don't know why, but I never had this issues with my Mercenary, it's just the PT. I know it gets better, but it takes a higher level, I guess ~ 35-40, to handle this right...

Another problem in my opinion is the difference between the two 11 point skills. They are the same. Initial damage and a DoT-component.

What's the problem? Well... Incendiary Missile is dealing less initial damage, less DoT-damage but it costs 50% more heat ( okay, it's elemental damage and 10m range but in lower levels it's not that important ). The other one deals more damage in every way and has lower heat costs. I tend to attack every mob with it and then use Flame Thrower - right now it works good, but the heat is still a problem.

The problem what I see here is the immense amount of heat generated - with Pyro still more than with AC.

In lower levels ( I am 25 right now ) it is quite horrible. I don't know why, but I never had this issues with my Mercenary, it's just the PT. I know it gets better, but it takes a higher level, I guess ~ 35-40, to handle this right...

Another problem in my opinion is the difference between the two 11 point skills. They are the same. Initial damage and a DoT-component.

What's the problem? Well... Incendiary Missile is dealing less initial damage, less DoT-damage but it costs 50% more heat ( okay, it's elemental damage and 10m range but in lower levels it's not that important ). The other one deals more damage in every way and has lower heat costs. I tend to attack every mob with it and then use Flame Thrower - right now it works good, but the heat is still a problem.

Well, I can understand that, I personally leveled as a shield tech, so I did was not trying to squeeze out the most dps as I possible could, and I did not mind weaving in rapid shots every now and then for heat management. That and shield tech gets their resource management talents earlier than pyro, and at about the same time as AP.

I guess you might have to use rapid shot a bit more until you can get the prototype particle accelerator talent. You will have to let the CGC do some of the work for you until then.

Having levelled a DPS powertech up to 55 (almost exclusively using pyro), heat is the only real problem with the pyro skill tree (that we can deal with). Until you get the proc reset for railshot and buff up your dots, it isn't the fastest killing spec. Best thing I can tell you is to weave in rapid shots after every couple of heat generating attacks. Do your best to stay under 40 heat (explosive dart works well for this as it's a 30 meter range and costs 16 heat iirc). Also, for weak mobs, I wouldn't use Incendiary missile (takes too long for the heat generated). I agree with the above that the Advanced Prototype tree is quite nice (and has next to no heat issues) but again to fully realize this potential you need to be upper levels. My advice, stick all your points into whichever tree and start to level. Once you get higher up, play around with the specs to see which you like the most. That is my 2 cents...best of luck.