Comments on Plausible Source of Lag in PvP?

-Wes-

Has anyone else had serious lagging issues in PvP lately? My connection is sometimes the issue, but for the last week or so, even when I have a good, stable connection (which is generally 150-250 ms), my character(s) will just freeze for many seconds at a time. I get no response from any attempted input while all the other players just keep running around doing their thing (perfectly smooth). I'm not talking about being incapacitated (by another player, anyway), just not being able to actually control my character.

It's quite frustrating, and I feel like I'm letting my team down without being able to do anything to remedy it! My "solution" to that problem this morning was to simply not queue up for the warzone after a particularly egregious run. I cannot figure what is causing these "pauses."

Any suggestions/comments?

Edited by -Wes-

Bad coding/optimization of the failed Hero engine.

/thread

This and things got much worse since the server merges, which leads me to believe they were too optimistic about what their servers could support in terms of population.

FWIW your 'connection speed' indicator on the bottom right is a nonsense thing. It's showing your ping latency, not how loaded up the servers are that you're working against. If their servers are loaded beyond capacity they'd have to become so clogged as to be totally non-responsive to show anything on that tool.

Edited by dcgregorya

Okay, so what you guys are saying is that this isn't unique to my connection, I just happened to be the one that drew the short straw at that point in time?

I find that encouraging and frustrating all at the same time. :eek:

Okay, so what you guys are saying is that this isn't unique to my connection, I just happened to be the one that drew the short straw at that point in time?

I find that encouraging and frustrating all at the same time. :eek:

It could be a plethora of issues truth be told. However, since the release of 2.0, there has been a very noticeable uptick in server-side latency, which results in ability lag and even chat lag. Even before 2.0 was pushed live prematurely, there was already enough of this going around, whether on the Fleet, WZ's, Flashpoints, etc.

Not sure if you have any network or other bottlenecking issues or not, it really is hard to say. The one constant with this game however is below average response time between character and action, whether via chat, abilities, moving around or whatever. There are steps you can take to minimize some of this, but in my experience, it didn't help that much.

Edited by Pistols

This and things got much worse since the server merges, which leads me to believe they were too optimistic about what their servers could support in terms of population.

FWIW your 'connection speed' indicator on the bottom right is a nonsense thing. It's showing your ping latency, not how loaded up the servers are that you're working against. If their servers are loaded beyond capacity they'd have to become so clogged as to be totally non-responsive to show anything on that tool.

This ^^ server rack severely overloaded

This ^^ server rack severely overloaded

The server pops currently is nothing compared to what the servers were boasting the first 3 months of the game.

Matter of fact, it's a skeleton of what it once was.

Server population is not the issue.

Edited by Pistols

The server pops currently is nothing compared to what the servers were boasting the first 3 months of the game.

Matter of fact, it's a skeleton of what it once was.

Server population is not the issue.

Didn't say it was Maybe their servers are just not up to par :)

It could be a plethora of issues truth be told. However, since the release of 2.0, there has been a very noticeable uptick in server-side latency, which results in ability lag and even chat lag. Even before 2.0 was pushed live prematurely, there was already enough of this going around, whether on the Fleet, WZ's, Flashpoints, etc.

Not sure if you have any network or other bottlenecking issues or not, it really is hard to say. The one constant with this game however is below average response time between character and action, whether via chat, abilities, moving around or whatever. There are steps you can take to minimize some of this, but in my experience, it didn't help that much.

*sigh* Yes, there are just so many possibilities. I've definitely noticed some in-world lagging lately, wherein the interaction with the environment just gets choppy (such as riding my speeder through terrain and having it display momentary pauses as I travel). I never experienced that prior to 2.0 launch. When I have connection issues, world interaction starts out with invisible walls as I travel (where I can move backward and side to side with no issues, but cannot move forward), which is different from the choppiness. That said, servers are showing some serious activity, whereas they were not generally over "Standard" load for weeks and weeks prior, so I can tolerate that sort of behavior during heavy use.

What is boggling my mind with the PvP issue is that everything around me is smooth as glass. All of my abilities are up and ready for use, nobody is even interacting with me necessarily, and yet I'm just stuck there.... can't move, can't activate abilities, can't do anything except rotate my camera view. All the while, everyone else is moving around me, I can see each and every incoming attack, yet I am powerless to do anything about it.

I imagine the other players (on opposing team) are loving the fact that they have a Shadow tank unstealth behind them, hit them with an initial blow for 5-8K, then just stand there like a statue while they grind me into the dirt. Or, here's a Sage healer paired with a tank, up against two DPS Imperials, and the Sage just stands there watching them take down the tank, then is so kind as to continue standing there while they take down the Sage himself.

/facepalm

Edited by -Wes-

I honestly don't lag at all even on fleet, I pretty much stay at 33 to 43 latenzy. Only time I ever lagged was back when questionable things were occurring in the warzones before certain folks started disappearing from the game.

The current servers even at standard have a higher user count than the servers did at launch so don't get confused by the terms standard or heavy its based on how many are on based on max server can handle.

The current servers even at standard have a higher user count than the servers did at launch.

Lol I respectfully disagree mate. I know the total servers have been cut down to 23, compared to the 100+ or so, but the server pops are running lower than what we had at launch.

Just my opinion of course.

Edit: Unless you're referring to how the metrics label each server as : Low, Medium and High capacity...I'm only referring to the amount of players on each server compared to launch..if that made any sense lol.

Edited by Pistols

Lol I respectfully disagree mate. I know the total servers have been cut down to 23, compared to the 100+ or so, but the server pops are running lower than what we had at launch.

Just my opinion of course.

Edit: Unless you're referring to how the metrics label each server as : Low, Medium and High capacity...I'm only referring to the amount of players on each server compared to launch..if that made any sense lol.

ya referring to metrics. On shadowlands last night there was still more than 2 instance on several plants 20 at one point on makeb and 2 full on fleet. It seems busier but then you could be right cause at launch I wasn't paying much attention due to trying to level lol.

Hmmm, okay. So, maybe it is primarily a machine issue. It seems strange that everything except my character works just fine, but I then I don't have any idea how the engine of this game works. I use the game on two separate machines, and do notice the issue more frequently on one versus the other (but then the internet connections are completely different as well... one kicks rear while the other is blah), so I'll just have to keep a mental log of what's going on peripheral to the running of the game when I have issues.

All the feedback is appreciated. I wasn't looking to complain with this thread, and I appreciate that the responses kept us moving toward plausible solutions.

Hmmm, okay. So, maybe it is primarily a machine issue. It seems strange that everything except my character works just fine, but I then I don't have any idea how the engine of this game works. I use the game on two separate machines, and do notice the issue more frequently on one versus the other (but then the internet connections are completely different as well... one kicks rear while the other is blah), so I'll just have to keep a mental log of what's going on peripheral to the running of the game when I have issues.

All the feedback is appreciated. I wasn't looking to complain with this thread, and I appreciate that the responses kept us moving toward plausible solutions.

Don't know if it helps any but at home I have 50mb cable and at work I have the same. My home system though is a self built gaming rig. I get no lag on it. My work system has similar processor but a workstation (dell) graphics (quadro) and I get lag a lot on it. I have 8 gb ram at work and 16 at home. I would look at your graphics card difference to between the machines. You can also try a defrag which might help. There was also someone who mentioned deleting the diskcachearena file in the swtor directory helped them (its the virtual drive for the game) but I don't know and you might want to search out and see.

Edited by Burtlebe

Have been noticing this too. I blame it on 2.0... and I do believe it's a server congestion issue. Makeb does not seem to be optimized like most other planets (I see 14 instances of Makeb in Bastion - more at peak times) and we seem to have more people playing vs. before 2.0. They need to optimize further, refine the code, see whats causing this BS lag; I'm running a very capable machine and It shouldn't be this bad.

I'm tired of the constant stutters while riding, opening menus and general lag in the fleet and warzones.... this game is running like it's on 1990s technology ffs.

Please optimize this N A O!!

Edited by Seengularity