The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Neutral Alignment Class?

Laicamir

Greetings,

I was hoping I could get some assistance in choosing a class.

My problem lies in that I want my character to be True Neutral, he would not really care about which factions control the galaxy provided it did not negatively affect him. Smuggler and Bounty Hunters seem to fall most naturally into this role but I am going to play as a force user.

While my character would be wise and disciplined he would also be quite emotional, that said he would see little use in needless sadism but would have no qualms about executing his foes and prisoners if he needed to. It is as if the Jedi would oppose him for being merciless and emotional and the Sith would oppose him for caring a lot about justice and not fully using his emotions. He might show pity to those who are disadvantaged by no fault of there own but would very harshly punish those who are impolite to him.

I feel some of my problem is a base all my characters on an 'arch-character' who was designed for fantasy worlds, I would come up with an alternative but I really dislike being either good or evil, I can stand fluctuation on chaos / law axis though.

Perhaps I should have put this in the new players thread?

Thank you immensely for your assistance!

Jedi Consular can probably satisfy your needs. Consular story is very neutral and has a lot of shades-of-gray moments. Quite a few choices that are neither "right" nor "wrong" - like tradeoffs. Can feel perfect True Neutral, or Lawful Neutral.

I'd say Inquisitor is pretty close second, but

he starts as slave and, ironically, continues to be a slave of circumstance for the vast majority of the storyline - unlike the Consular who seems to be acting more on his own will and needs of the Republic as opposite to the powerplays of others, into which he's drawn pretty much from the beginning. The Inquisitor also has a latent (or blatant, if you so choose) insanity sub-theme going on. Neutral/Chaotic Neutral feels right.

If that's OK with you, then I'd say go for it.

That said, Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior can also feel great playing Grey, but there are a lot of pure black and white moments for both of them, and it's generally harder to maintain the neutral "feel" to them.

The Warrior can be a very authentic "Samurai" - loyal to the Emperor, the Empire and his people, while remaining a ruthless warlord and executioner. Lawful Neutral at its finest.

The Knight story, though, is heavily Light-biased. You can mix some Dark choices, but if you want the feel to be authentic, you'll end up with a Light-side score. Maintaining Grey alignment as a Knight requires to either do flashpoints to balance your alignment with specific choices run Diplomacy missions, or to cope with the fact that the character sounds unstable and inconsistent. Neutral with "alignment tweaks", or Chaotic Neutral, a la Anakin.

Edited by Helig

Thanks, I prefer the idea of a Consular or inquisitor but a may consider a Warrior as I prefer its companions to the inquisitors. I would prefer to lean towards chaos, I dislike blind obedience.

Order isn't blind obedience if *you* make your own order and enforce it:rolleyes:

Having a sort of personal code also does not require blind obedience - it's more of an inner discipline thing, as opposite to being loose and acting on your whims.

Very true, point conceded. What I am trying to say is that he seems more like a Jedi but he would probably join the Sith merely because the Jedi wouldn't allow him to do things he would do anyway.

Like the "you don't let me do what I want, so I'm joining your polar opposite" a la Anakin rebellion motif? Or more like Qui-Gon who bends and breaks rules and does other unorthodox things?

Because Consular gets plenty of opportunities to pull a Qui-Gon.

As far as Inquisitor goes, the companions aren't that bad. On par with Consular companions, at least. Khem really grew on me, to be honest.

Edited by Helig

Very true, point conceded. What I am trying to say is that he seems more like a Jedi but he would probably join the Sith merely because the Jedi wouldn't allow him to do things he would do anyway.

Every time I had quest log 'confront jedi council' it gave me kreeps... bunch of tight ..... made me miss Darth Cartman...

Every time I had quest log 'confront jedi council' it gave me kreeps... bunch of tight ..... made me miss Darth Cartman...

I was more pissed with the Inquisitor class quest phase when I needed to run between the Dark Temple and the Citadel multiple times like crazy. Oh well, rage only makes a Sith stronger, does it?

I was more pissed with the Inquisitor class quest phase when I needed to run between the Dark Temple and the Citadel multiple times like crazy. Oh well, rage only makes a Sith stronger, does it?

Yeah, but that

Darth Thanaton gost busters episode

happens only twice, while Jedi (both) have to visit Tython more often then common sense says... (still better then trooper having to run thro Coruscant to hear 'good job, now go to xxxxxx planet, meet mister xxxx and come back to me so I can send you to planet yyyyyyy' - like holo calls were super expensive or something...

Like the "you don't let me do what I want, so I'm joining your polar opposite" a la Anakin rebellion motif? Or more like Qui-Gon who bends and breaks rules and does other unorthodox things?

Because Consular gets plenty of opportunities to pull a Qui-Gon.

As far as Inquisitor goes, the companions aren't that bad. On par with Consular companions, at least. Khem really grew on me, to be honest.

Not really either, If possible he would seek out a third organisation to teach him the force, I'm not sure which of the two presented he would do. Khem want's to eat me though, I like what I have read of Talos. On further reading about the warriors companions they actually are not much better so I will probably go Consular or Inquisitor.

Not really either, If possible he would seek out a third organisation to teach him the force, I'm not sure which of the two presented he would do. Khem want's to eat me though, I like what I have read of Talos. On further reading about the warriors companions they actually are not much better so I will probably go Consular or Inquisitor.

Strictly from story point of view, neither of the Sith really join by their own free will. The Warrior is of the nobility, bred and groomed to be Sith from birth. The Inquisitor is a slave that was found out to be Force-sensitive and taken to Korriban.

As far as attitude to the Force goes, I think Consular would be closer to your outlook, because he likes learning (not only the "approved" things), and isn't really fixated on power itself. The Inquisitor story, however, is all about power. DS Inquisitor just grabs as much as he can with a maniacal cackle, while the LS one grabs it as well, but somewhat reluctantly, because they have no other choice

What is the Consular trying to achieve in their storyline?

Without spoiling stuff, he's working behind the scenes to hold the Republic together, and to destroy the Emperor's Children/infiltrators. Funnily, the Consular does an inquisitor's work more than the Inquisitor himself, who is mainly concerned with his own well-being, rather than with maintaining the purity of the Sith/the Empire, as the name would imply.

Be warned though, Consular story is pretty slow burn. Very little action-packed juicy goodness a la Knight/Warrior (choking people, throwing them against walls with one hand while stabbing their friends in the face with the other), and it really takes time to ramp up (although it's worth it, in my opinion - for example, act 1 is rather boring at the start, but its later portion offers some very rewarding revelations about those involved in it).

So its better than the inquisitor story?

Wouldn't say better, wouldn't say worse. Different. A little deeper, requiring a little more thought, perhaps? But Inquisitor story isn't straightforward or dumb, by any stretch.

It has has some great "NO FRAKKING WAY!" moments and a lot of cynical (or violent) charm. The way he casually points his finger to the side to shock a hapless attacker during some cutscene or another is PRICELESS.

Also the "I won't tell you anything, even if you torture me!" "Hey, thanks for reminding me *SHOCK*" moments.

But one thing is certainly better in the Inquisitor story - voice acting. While female Consular VA did a good job, she didn't really have a lot of room. Male Consular sounds pretty bland most of the time (does not really diminish the experience, since the story is less focused on the Consular himself and more on NPCs/Galaxy-wide events). Female Inquisitor is one of my favorite voiceovers ever. The intonations are brilliant. She practically purrs and yawns as she speaks and paces her speech perfectly, creating an utterly magical feeling of character. Male Inquisitor, while not as good (at least in my opinion), does very well with the cynicism, contempt and eager cruelty, which the character has plenty of opportunities to demonstrate.

Edited by Helig

Thanks so much for all the help!

Which questline would you say has more political and negotiation type quests as opposed to fighting ones?

Does the Consular have any power seeking moments?

Edited by Laicamir

Thanks so much for all the help!

Which questline would you say has more political and negotiation type quests as opposed to fighting ones?

Does the Consular have any power seeking moments?

You're welcome.

Well, Consular story is has a strong political subtext, while the Inquisitor is more about under-the-carpet scheming.

As for power-seeking... I don't really recall the Consular actively seeking power a whole lot - it all comes naturally to him as he does his thing.

Unless you count the start of chapter 1. He also gains a lot of political influence. And there's always the mystical aspect later on (like on Voss)

Inquisitor spends a lot of time digging in forgotten places in search for artefacts and other sources of power.

Edited by Helig

This is confusing, He is either a slightly insane, power-seeking Consular or a polite, semi-emotionless and diplomatic Inquisitor?

More like a ruthless mystic\politician\secret police (technically an inquisitor, but with much broader agendas, including politics) that pulls all sorts of strings

stooping as low as common blackmail and veiled threats to friends and family

to ensure victory of the Republic/the Jedi, while amassing enormous personal influence, not only within the Republic, but with species and cultures uninvolved in the Rep/Emp war.

Or a considerate, wise benefactor, vigilant protector, patient diplomat and mentor.

There is, of course, a *LOT* of middle ground with the Consular - that's one of the reasons I originally suggested it.

That is what makes it so confusing, I want the capacity to be polite, calm a friendly but also the ability to melt the face of of who displease me.

Well, Consular and Knight have such opportunities. But some of their DS options can be awkward if you play "polite but harsh". Basically, the conversation progresses in a light side-ish tone, then suddenly Tourette's kicks in and the character goes medieval on their arse. That's what I was talking about when I mentioned sounding inconsistent. But it's more pronounced in Knight story anyway, since his usual tone is softer and lighter than Consular's, who is, in turn, more serious.

Both Sith aren't really friendly. The Warrior has an air of haughtiness, superiority, pompousness (his very vocabulary is threaded with archaic, pompous words and phrases) whether he's being naughty or nice. Technically, he can be very polite, but this very politeness just seems to be a demonstration of superiority, at times. The Inquisitor is usually cynical, sarcastic, dismissive. Polite mainly when he's hiding the proverbial hatchet behind the proverbial smile.