The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech 2.0 Tank Build

webecon

Hi,

I'm mainly playing PvE with some PvP thrown in for additional fun. I'm currently at lvl 47 with my Powertech tank and was wondering if someone could suggest a new tank build following the changes in the recent update. I love my PT, so not looking for a discussion if it is still "viable" or pros and cons vs other classes. But any build ideas or discussions of talents is most welcome!

Thanks in advance!

I can't really say there is much of a space for builds for PT-tank. The tree is filling itself as you are going to pick up all the same talents you did before 2.0 and some new ones to get to another tier. There are few talents that are obviously PVP-oriented (all the proc-slows and Stealth Scan one), so you eventually come to two builds - PvP and PVE, with only difference of few talents.

As for the tree itself, we lost some free shield chance to gain 4% defense (which doesn't seem to help much, we're still the lowest defense tanks in the game) and our finisher - Heat Blast was changed severely, accompanied by Heal Screen mechanic. Heat Screen is now applied whenever we shield or IGC procs and gives 1% absorption for 20sec, stacks up to three times. Heat Blast only becomes available at 3 stacks, does elemental damage, vents 8 heat and gives +25% absorption for 6 sec, which is really nice. In addition, whenever HS is applied, active cooldown of HB is reduced by 1 sec. So, with some luck, HB can be kept up for about half of the time. So instead of shielding as often we now shield for massive amounts of damage.

Another talent I love is Flame Engine. Flamethrower does considerable amount of damage even in tank-spec and being able to cast it in 1.5 sec for free along with cooldown refresher at direct hits is awesome.

Overall, PT-tanks are still easy and effective to play. Gearing may be a bit more problematic for you though, since no more free gear is given out at reaching level 50.