My Thoughts on Pyro PT PVE 2.0

ScytheEleven

*I do not PVP, let's just get that out of the way*

First off, on the PTS right now, this is the build I run with:

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/powertech/231/?build=003200300000000000000000000000000203110000000000000000000000000003200322221002120230003000100000&ver=20

This build seems to yield, at least for me, the highest possible DPS.

That being said, here are what I think about some of the changes:

- The addition of the CGC to Flame Sweep is pretty sweet, it's a really powerful AoE now and the reduced heat cost (was 25, now 21) makes it even more enticing.

- Pyro Shield is worthless really for PVE, but at least it looks cool

- Reduction of damage from periodic effects is a nice little boost, but if you're taking DoT's in PVE that usually means you're derping around and standing in the bad areas.

- Probably the best thing that was done to the Pyro tree was reduce the heat cost of IM by 3. I know 3 doesn't seem like a lot, but having IM cost 22 heat instead of 25 can really help out...I've noticed it while parsing/doing my rotations. They also buffed the damage of Rocket Punch and IM with a talent in the top tree by 6%.

- The only gripe I have is they removed 15% of the armor penetration from rail shot. Honestly, I'd rather keep the extra 15% armor pen and give up the 6% damage buff to Rocket Punch and IM. Having rail shot ignore 90% of armor was just...lovely, especially in raids.

- Chaff Flare is now trainable to all Bounty Hunters, so get used to using it! Your tank will thank you! The fact that it is not on the global cool down gives you no reason not to pop it when you need to (i.e. before you pull, not after you pull from the tank!)

- Hydraulic Overrides is pretty solid for PVE. In the Mando Raiders flashpoint, if someone doesn't interrupt concussion round from one of the elite trash droids and it knocks you back, it will root you. Hit Hydraulic Overrides and you're back in business.

- The new passive ability "Close and Personal" is kind of a "meh" thing for DPS PT's in general. I won't really complain since we get 3 extra seconds added to our energy shield at the cost of no other abilities, and the 2% healing for taking area damage just means that you're standing in the bad...so stop standing in the bad!

- It's been mentioned on here, but dropping all crit (zero crit rating), stacking accuracy up to 99.97% and 109.97% special/tech, and dumping the rest into power and surge is yielding the highest DPS right now. I hope they fix the DR on crit so it becomes useful again. But even as it stands, with an exo-tech stim on, my toon has 18% ranged crit chance and 24% tech crit chance. Add in the extra 6% crit chance to our fire abilities, and Flame Burst, CGC, and IM still have a 30% crit chance...not bad at all.

So, those are my thoughts. Enjoy.

Edited by ScytheEleven

thanks for the info on your testing. for some reason I'm still completely unconvinced by anything more than 22-25 in pyro with these trees. split out with both shield and ap options for your other 23ish so much utility or extra efficiency to be gained example the pyro parakeet with 23 shield and major flame sweep synergy, or the terminal velocity setup with ap and pyro. these builds look insane.

I agree with you, the Terminal Velocity build does more DPS than a Pyro PVE tree. I'm not too sure how much the Parakeet build would work in PVE though...I feel like that's more of PVP type deal.

Only reason I'm staying Pyro-spec'd on the PTS is because I know a nerf is coming for the hybrid/Terminal Velocity build.

it's possible your higher pyro mix has more overall potency than the strange pyro parakeet, but there is just enough synergy to the flame sweep with buffed damage and effective heat vent off paired with the improved movement utility that I think it will be brilliant for the initial push out into makeb and certainly more useful in some scenarios of pve flashpoint and op where that huge burst of mobility will aid your role tremendously and allow you to be super effective

it's possible your higher pyro mix has more overall potency than the strange pyro parakeet, but there is just enough synergy to the flame sweep with buffed damage and effective heat vent off paired with the improved movement utility that I think it will be brilliant for the initial push out into makeb and certainly more useful in some scenarios of pve flashpoint and op where that huge burst of mobility will aid your role tremendously and allow you to be super effective

1. Flame Sweep is only used in Pyro for aoe. It is never used in single-target dps, and it amazing synergy because it procs your GGC dot on all targets. That skill makes the Pyro almost as good as engineering snipers for aoe.

2. Heat management is pretty easy for Pyro.

3. The parakeet build was always just a pvp spec. It was never a pve spec and should never be. It puts out way too little damage for a dps, and will actually cause problems with threat, because you are in Ion cylinder. There is absolutely no reason to bring that build into an op or flashpoint. Its fine to use while questing, but for ops or flashpoints, it is terrible.

Edited by bbare

I can't login to the PTS to test out today's patch changes, but from early parses it looks like both the AP and Pyro spec's get hit with a considerable nerf.

- CGC damage has roughly been cut in half

...that's really all you need to know. They tried to re-work Thermal Detonator, but apparently, the highest DPS still turns down taking it.

DPS loss from this patch is looking to be around 100-150.

Edited by ScytheEleven

I can't login to the PTS to test out today's patch changes, but from early parses it looks like both the AP and Pyro spec's get hit with a considerable nerf.

...that's really all you need to know. They tried to re-work Thermal Detonator, but apparently, the highest DPS still turns down taking it.

I lost around 200-300 dps using pyrotech/no TD (tested with TD and did even worse). I was messing around with swapping crit/power so maybe it's a bit less than that.

Messing around with AP but they got a nice nerf as well...

All in all, pyrotech is still 'good' but not nearly as good as it was.

Edited by KTap

i went on this morning, so instead of nerfing hybrid they totally ****** annialated it but hey we expected that. so anyway i tested full pyro with TD and it seems to be quite good, putting a DoT on once TD explodes is nice. im yet to test without TD but imo it looks like going full pyro is the way forward now.

Is more like 300-350. They halved CGC damage and CGC accounts for about 25% of our damage. Powertechs are now worse than everything but assassins in pve damage.

Edited by bbare

Is more like 300-350. They halved CGC damage and CGC accounts for about 25% of our damage. Powertechs are now worse than everything but assassins in pve damage.

This.

There's another hybrid build using the tank tree that can push 2,500-2550 dps but it will probably get ruined once they hear about it :(

please dont pull %'s out of your arse.

i did a parse on live yesterday for 2045 dps

18.22% of that damage is from CGC, which is far from your 25%.

source: http://www.torparse.com/a/163585

i understand we r talking about the PTS and not live but when talking about % is pretty much the same.

and for arguments sake i have a parse here from the last boss in s&v hm even thou this is now out dated because of the nerfs as this was on tuesday and it was hybrid but maybe some junkie can workout some maths from it.

http://www.torparse.com/a/163253/30/0/Damage+Dealt

imo the other guy was right in his estimation on 100-150, and not 300 as u say.

This.

There's another hybrid build using the tank tree that can push 2,500-2550 dps but it will probably get ruined once they hear about it :(

Yep, I'm trying to test that, but I can't even get on the PTS at the moment. Bioware is completely out of bounds with this one. I could understand if they nerfed pyro and buffed AP to make AP better, but this nerf was unnecessarily harsh. Only assassins do less damage now. I'm all for balance, but you should buff the underpowered classes instead of nerfing the "overpowered" ones.

i understand we r talking about the PTS and not live but when talking about % is pretty much the same.

and for arguments sake i have a parse here from the last boss in s&v hm even thou this is now out dated because of the nerfs as this was on tuesday and it was hybrid but maybe some junkie can workout some maths from it.

http://www.torparse.com/a/157892/time/1362729127/1362729580/0/Damage+Dealt

There you go. 23%. Not far off from 25%. I suggest you actually get on the PTS before you criticize me. I'm not pulling numbers out of my arse. 50% of 25% is 12.5%. 12.5% of 2700 is 337. You were using the hybrid, not Pyro without TD in your styrak parse. Also, it is more like 21% in your live parse, because there are 2 different ones on live parses. Notice there are 3 "burning (tech)" 2 are from CGC, one is from IM.

Edited by bbare

http://www.torparse.com/a/157892/time/1362729127/1362729580/0/Damage+Dealt

There you go. 23%. Not far off from 25%. I suggest you actually get on the PTS before you criticize me. I'm not pulling numbers out of my arse. 50% of 25% is 12.5%. 12.5% of 2700 is 337. You were using the hybrid, not Pyro without TD

if im not mistaken i stated i was going off old data and a hybrid spec, also the statement about pulling numbers out of your arse was still justified as u had no evidence to back up what you said, all you had to do was post what you just posted.

now we can see it.

Fix your rotation.

First parse I got unlucky with procs, second parse worked out a little bit above average, I usually end up somewhere in the middle at about ~2120 dps. Add together "Combustible Gas Cylinder: Burning (Tech)" and "Superheated Rail: Burning (Tech)" (both are CGC, but triggered different ways) and you'll see the first parse had CGC at 26.98% and the second parse had it at 24.74%, and that's on a dummy - in an actual raid, it gets buffed by 30% while the boss is below 30% HP, so roughly a 10% damage increase overall, but you never get to that point on a dummy. If the fight interupts your DPS at any points for whatever reason so it's allowed to tick normally instead of just relying on the re-application ticks while you're not attacking that will also boost it up a bit

In the end, CGC often reach up to about 30% of my total damage in a raid.

if im not mistaken i stated i was going off old data and a hybrid spec, also the statement about pulling numbers out of your arse was still justified as u had no evidence to back up what you said, all you had to do was post what you just posted.

now we can see it.

We're in the powertech forum section, and for any experienced pyro that bothers to check his logs, this is an obvious fact that doesn't need to be backed up. It's like requiring parses that proves that you should use railshot.

That said, it's not as simple as just cutting away half the CGC damage from our old DPS and assuming that's our new DPS - we need to do actual parses with the new changes, now that it gets applied more often from rapid shots (minor), with TD possibly being worth taking and the huge boost to flame burst with the extra 30% surge (especially considerings the 6% bonus crit chance for all fire effects). Unfortunately my chars won't load there atm so I can't test it myself.

It is definitely a huge nerf to our new awesome aoe though, this cuts down the AOE CGC damage from flame sweep by 50% too.

Edited by steave

Could you please post your parses?

had alrdy deleted stuff from the other day so did a couple today, rotation still needs work but anyway its here:

http://www.torparse.com/a/165338

first is w/o, second with.

from my testing TD is 100 dps in front, but ofc this is only me. ive neva played AP so im not even going to bother attempting it, ill only play pyro.

im only using 1.7 augments, and stim, im using 2.0 adrenal, and gear is the standard crap with a few underworld pieces

had alrdy deleted stuff from the other day so did a couple today, rotation still needs work but anyway its here:

http://www.torparse.com/a/165338

first is w/o, second with.

from my testing TD is 100 dps in front, but ofc this is only me. ive neva played AP so im not even going to bother attempting it, ill only play pyro.

im only using 1.7 augments, and stim, im using 2.0 adrenal, and gear is the standard crap with a few underworld pieces

Is the Combat Training MK-5 Dummy a WZ Dummy? I know it's not the Operations boss equivalent one...

According to a post from the DPS thread in PTS forum, the 30% surge bonus for flame burst is currently not working. Assuming that's true and considering current parses still get us close to the other classes, we should be perfectly fine as soon as that bug is fixed.

According to a post from the DPS thread in PTS forum, the 30% surge bonus for flame burst is currently not working. Assuming that's true and considering current parses still get us close to the other classes, we should be perfectly fine as soon as that bug is fixed.

yea my parse is only showing 20%