The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A Petition To Look Cool.

Josewales

Argggh. I am tired of looking at a DOGS BREAKFEST for endgame gear. Seriously, even the old skool MMOs still have better imagination and player freedom when it comes to armor skins...ie Daoc. And if devs dont want to give us cool gear to look at, then at least stick to the theme of the game. Since it's a war between two factions, make players feel part of something bigger....ummm like an army for a start. Anarchy Online at one point had Omni feeling as one with their gear as an example. And if BW insists on dressing us with bonus gear, then at least hire a new conceptual artist (old one sux). I hate WOW in so many ways, but at least Blizzard always brought the cool sauce to their endgame sets each update.

Whatever way...dyes, armor polish, bonus sets via augments, etc.

PLEASE BW I WANT MY VIRTUAL PETS TO LOOK COOL!

I am mad.

/signed

Its true, armor in this game is pretty horrific. I dont understand how end game armor, what is supposed to be the coolest looking armor, is such an eyesore. I mean I understand I can get "custom" gear to make my own look...but I dont want that. I want to be able to show off my new piece of raid gear, my new piece of pvp gear, but the armor is disgusting and I really think the artists who design these armors are *********** retarded. I have never seen a game that the end game armor was so *********** ugly, its pathetic.

There is some great armour in the game, but its very rarely the endgame sets (which are by and large hideous beyond enduring)

Cobbling together a set out of various moddable bits is the way to go, and since set bonuses are carried on patches now, you have nothing to lose except a few credits.

the BW design team did great in this game, but they must have had some blind person design the armor though, or someone with really bad taste... Plus, with mods at over lvl 50 so expensive to remove, it only compounds the frustration with the end game armor, since removing mods is a must if you want to look good in something else. Edited by Themanthatisi

Its not much help to the art team with nebulous requests like "better looking armour". The higher tiers are an opportunity to add new armour assets into the game, and along with the mod system, they add greater visual variety when included in the amount of visual choices across all level ranges and tiers.

My biggest complaint with the high tiers of armour is that they didn't feel "star warsy" enough (which the latest tier on pts has mostly remedied). But then when they went the more conservative star wars route they were still criticised. Visually, what do people really want out of armour in a star wars setting? How can armour look star warsy and powerful at the same time? (Palpatine wears a very simple unassuming black robe, but is an extremely powerful force user)

How are they meant to reconcile common mmo expectations and staying true to the setting? Do higher tiers of armour need to look more impressive and complicated to act as a visual representation of power? Or should they just be unique looks that stand on their own?

Edited by Marb

Ok 2 things I will comment on.

1 yes some of the OP's gear is really pathetic, the 2.0 gear is a huge improvement except the head gear " I mean for real ***"

2. The modable gear options are genius for creating a truly diverse looking community "I hate getting stuck with the same look as every other player so much love to BW for thiis":)

Says every MMO ever. You think armor that you have to work hard for shouldn't be the best looking armor in the game? That doesn't make any sense.

Objectively, you get it because it has better stats. Subjectively if you think it looks better.

The latter doesn't matter because games have had alternate appearance modifiers for years. Adaptives are SWTOR's Alt-Appearance mechanic.

Its not much help to the art team with nebulous requests like "better looking armour". The higher tiers are an opportunity to add new armour assets into the game, and along with the mod system, they add greater visual variety when included in the amount of visual choices across all level ranges and tiers.

My biggest complaint with the high tiers of armour is that they didn't feel "star warsy" enough (which the latest tier on pts has mostly remedied). But then when they went the more conservative star wars route they were still criticised. Visually, what do people really want out of armour in a star wars setting? How can armour look star warsy and powerful at the same time? (Palpatine wears a very simple unassuming black robe, but is an extremely powerful force user)

How are they meant to reconcile common mmo expectations and staying true to the setting? Do higher tiers of armour need to look more impressive and complicated to act as a visual representation of power? Or should they just be unique looks that stand on their own?

the point is you cant even have a simple black robe thats the start of the rpoblem

Dude get your black hole comms and get the armor that have the campaign stats and bonuses on them and you can pick any armor you want thats moddable and then get more BH comms to fill em out, and the armorning pieces are specific but they have the bonuses that columi gear have ,you can pick any clothing you want if you do it that way.