I have a bad feeling about this..

Darth__Carnal

While I eagerly await Episode 7, and I am thrilled to hear about JJ Abrams taking the helm, some new information on the Star Wars official site has me a bit concerned.

The original article linked here..

http://starwars.com/news/new-spinoff-films-set-to-expand-the-star-wars-galaxy.html

The Star Wars cinematic galaxy is about to experience a Big Bang. Lucasfilm is officially announcing new spinoff films that will expand the mythos and depths of the Star Wars universe in previously unexplored ways.

One of the standalone films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and co-writer of Return of the Jedi while the other will be penned by Simon Kinberg, writer of Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The movies will be separate from the upcoming Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, on which Kasdan and Kinberg are also consulting, and are expected to be released sometime after Episode VII. Each standalone film will focus on a specific character, and two spinoff films are currently confirmed.

In a call to investors, Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, revealed while the original focus was on the highly-anticipated sequel trilogy, the idea of spinoff films was bandied about early and the additional films are now becoming a reality. "We are in development of a few standalone films," he said, "that are not part of the Star Wars saga...there are now creative entities working on developing scripts for what would be those standalone films."

Stay tuned to StarWars.com as more exciting developments unfold.

1. While I like the idea of stand alone films, I think things are going to get out of control. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry in Hollywood wants to say they directed a Star Wars film, and about 99.9% are not qualified.

2. If any one of these standalone films sucks, it can hurt the budgets of the new trilogy if they are released before Episode 7, 8, and 9.

3. Competing Directors is NOT a good idea. There is too much "Film Reel Measuring" going on to begin with.

4. Lastly, while I know a lot of directors in Hollywood are ticked off that JJ Abrams was selected, and are probably whispering in the ears of some of the higher ups at Disney, asking for a piece of the pie, I think Ms. Kennedy needs to take things by the horns early, and tell them all to chill out.

Episode 7,8, 9 should take priority, with 1 Director calling the shots.

This actually isn't brand new. When it was first announced that there would be an episode VII, VIII, IX it was said there would likely be other more focused movies as well. I personally love the idea. Basically imagine an entire re-do of the Expanded Universe but instead of just books and games we get movies.

One interesting idea people on this forum tossed out in a director speculation thread was a Fett focused episode with Christopher Nolan directing.

Article was posted today.

My fault. The words were "additional films". One of the earliest rumors was Joe Johnston doing a Fett film, as well as various other rumors regarding directors doing films that are not part of the Trilogy/Trilogies. There were lots of folks who added the rumor to the news and gathered that other stand-alone films would be made.