The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Solving Species Issues with cartel costumes/gear

Kaze-Yama

So after the constant talk of Bioware devs complaining about how many resources or how much it costs to implement new species into the game I was thinking of possible solutions that would decrease or lessen the amount of resources needed and get more species options available sooner.

One idea I thought of was that rather than put new species into the game simply introduce different species "costumes" or "masks" as items in the cartel store. These would be adaptive gear that would enable you to dress up as whatever species you wanted with an existing playable character. The items would simply go on your character as helmets or different gear pieces and since they would be considered "masks" it would not require any additional animation of the mouth and could also potentially eliminate clipping issues since the mask and other gear would all be a set to be worn together.

For example you could simply have a togruta mask and once worn it would replace your head slot with a full mask that would basically make you look exactly like a togruta in game. With the existing color match features on gear you could get different skin color variations depending on your chest piece which would save devs time on having to create multiple pieces of art/skins. Or you could simply put different skins on the market without having to make entirely new models once the initial piece is finished.

You could expand this to all different types of species. You could make Moncal gloves or boots which would change to the webbed hands and feet, you could even have wookiee masks. While this wouldn't necessarily be completely authentic it would be a good way to get around issues of voice acting or animation for certain species since if you market them as costumes you don't have to worry about those issues.

I personally would buy a togruta helmet day 1 and potentially many other species as well if they were introduced.

TLDR: Instead of introducing new species as part of character creation make them into adaptive gear costumes for existing player characters similar to the tusken raider gear that is already in the game.

I want to see more species and while this is not perfect I would buy a species skin unlock like this. Although I would prefer it if you bought the skin and had to create the character using it. His outfit would be static and so would not change with maybe other outfits sold on the Cartel market but at least this would make make me feel like I was playing that species and not a human in a Gran mask. Also it would stop people changing species every few days.

• 8 months later...