The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PT tank, accuracy & ops

Korser

After reading the forums I thought I didnt need accuracy as a PT tank, so have been replacing accuracy mods with shield/absorb mods, tonight after discussion with my guild they say I do need accuracy to run ops, the reason being that stacking it reduces mobs defense, so gives more threat, now the threads I've read on the forum say otherwise, but they are quite old, but this leaves me with 2 conflicting opinions.

As far as I know noone plays a pt tank in the guild apart from me.

So basically do I need accuracy for ops, or have I been doing it right? ( I am not quite soft capped 49% shield, 47% absorb)

No you do not need accuracy. The only ability which needs accuracy is rail shot, and you can get by only hitting 90% of the time on that. Threat Generation requires no accuracy. A cool trick is to open with a grapple/force pull. It actually generates over 5000 threat which is very good for a single ability. (The threat is still generated on immune targets) Then go into your rotation. Unless you have insane dps that isn't guarded, you should be fine keeping threat. Edited by bbare

Even juggernaut tanks should avoid accuracy for tanking. For ptechs and shadows, accuracy is beyond bad.

Something like 85-90% of you damage is tech damage (anything that shows up on screen in yellow text) and will always hit. Rail shot, rapid shots, and unload (don't use unload as a ptech) are your only abilities that accuracy matters for.

To get better threat, guard your highest DPS and focus on your rotation and not overheating. Though you should overheat intentionally at the start of a fight and use vent to get back down.