The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Start up crash

Trooperscotty

Hi i just got off the phone with SWTOR customer service and i want to try to help anyone with this problem so they can avoid using the "help line". If you are having an Issue launching the game once you click the play button on the launcher hopefully this will help =]

Step 1- Click the start button and go to computer and go inside of the Cdrive ( for the windows 7 users only sorry)

Step 2- Click the users folder and then click on your name or whatever name you named the computer

Step 3- This is where things might get tricky. (If you have the hidden files shown your fine if not then refer to step

3a) click the appdata folder and go into local, look for a folder called SWTOR and go into that folder

Step 3a- If you do not have the ability to see hidden folders no worries. click start, control panel, then

Appearance and Personalization from there click on the Folder Options and go to the view tab

from there, look for a hidden files and folders and click on show hidden files, folders, and drives

and click ok, and that should be it =]

Step 4- Inside the SWTOR folder there should be another folder called SWTOR click on that one and

once in there go to the setting folder and look for a txt doc called client_settings

Step 5- Open that file and look for a setting called the "D3DFullscreen" if it says true change it to false then

ctrl+S to save the file and try opening the game.

The problem: The problem i found out to be is the screen resolution in the game is trying to apply to a setting that either the monitor or graphics could not handle and in result crashed the game. Once inside the game it will look all weird and cropped wrong push Alt+enter to fix it to windowed mode. Once you choose a character go into the games graphic settings and look at the screen resolution and make sure it is within the monitors limits and the should fix the problem. i hoped this helped. if you need additional help just ask and i will try to assist you the best i can good luck and have funn =]

Edited by Trooperscotty