The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Smoke Grenade

Memo-

I was told that Smoke Grenade doesn't work on Operation bosses. Assuming it's so, there's an error in the tooltip, as it doesn't mention it, unlike Diversion and Pacify.

So, how is it? And even if it works, is it recommended to be taken over, for example, an extra 2% damage in Elementals, or 3% in Ion Pulse (or even 8% in Ion Cell)?

I was told that Smoke Grenade doesn't work on Operation bosses. Assuming it's so, there's an error in the tooltip, as it doesn't mention it, unlike Diversion and Pacify.

So, how is it? And even if it works, is it recommended to be taken over, for example, an extra 2% damage in Elementals, or 3% in Ion Pulse (or even 8% in Ion Cell)?

Smoke Grenade works against anything and everything; it's the mechanical equivalent to the constant 5% accuracy debuffs that the other tanks get. It's important, however, to keep in mind that it doesn't affect F/T attacks whatsoever, so, if you use it against Stormcaller, Soa, or any of the other bosses that chuck massive amounts of F/T attacks at you, you're not gonna see any difference in incoming damage.

Also, as to Diversion, it's important to remember that there are 2 versions of it: one for Commandos (which does works against ops bosses; it's just a threat drop though) and the one for Sniper/Gunslingers (which doesn't, mainly because it is freakishly strong; it's a PvP ability honestly).

If you're ever not sure whether an ability works against an ops boss, I believe you can just head to the Operations dummy and use said ability: since it counts as an operations boss, if you see the debuff appear or ability able to be used, it works on ops bosses; abilities like Pacify and GS/Sniper Diversion simply can't be used on those targets.