The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvE Min-Max.

Kothakk

So ... ive looked around, not found anything regarding this.

I've toyed around with the different 63's...

Ive found that getting 300 acc, 214 crit and 300 surge leaves me with exactly 1000 power (using 3 power augments).

However my ranged crit chance dips down to 32,5% instead of 35% (+15% with the old BM railshot bouns).

Any other PT pyros out there that can give advice?

So ... ive looked around, not found anything regarding this.

I've toyed around with the different 63's...

Ive found that getting 300 acc, 214 crit and 300 surge leaves me with exactly 1000 power (using 3 power augments).

However my ranged crit chance dips down to 32,5% instead of 35% (+15% with the old BM railshot bouns).

Any other PT pyros out there that can give advice?

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/097cce6a-3e89-4773-8728-d681559b0689 - That's my PT at the moment. Personally I would go with aim augments over the power ones. I believe the current thinking on DR for crit means you should always be aiming for 300-350 (not aiming for a percent) because point for point it provides more damage than power up until that point.

With that character my DPS up to the Trandoshans on NiEC Kephess was 200-300 higher than my Warstalker Mercenary (my main). After that AOE and strat dependent role distorts the value.

PS. I really wish there was a Hazmat aim/crit/surge ear piece so I don't have to redo a heap of gear just to get a 63 one.

Well power acutally adds more raw damage. And those power augments make more of a difference as I see it. Crit is allready good enough in that gearing.

No, there very small diminishing returns on Aim crit. Your Main stat is also multiplied by steely resolve and the inquisitor class buff, which makes the difference in additional damage even more slight. Aim will always be better than power.

Well power acutally adds more raw damage. And those power augments make more of a difference as I see it. Crit is allready good enough in that gearing.

If you take 2 points or less in steely resolve, then yes, but with 3 points in it they both add exactly the same amount of bonus damage, but one also adds crit while the other doesn't.

There is no "good enough" for crit (or any stats, except for accuracy which is ofc useless when you have enough to always hit anyway) - if you can get them higher without sacrificing anything then you should of course do it.

I do think your crit rating is a bit too high though, I've experimented with it by swapping crystals and mods around and have noticed clear DPS gains when going down to about 280, but after that the differences become minuscule, but I personally ended up settling for a crit rating of 220 since that generally seemed to provide the bests results while parsing, however, in the ~200-280 range the differences where very insignificant and honestly more likely to come down to luck rather than the optimal balance. I still wouldn't recommend going over 280 though.

This is my current build, and gets me about ~2100 dps on the dummy on my own with a rakata stim (aka no bloodthirst or armor debuff).

You also don't have any armor penetration, so a internal (not elemental - elemental uses force crit chance while internal uses tech crit chance) proc relic would provide more damage.

I also prefer maxing burnout, partially due to the extra 1% crit you have always, but most importantly for the fact that there are so many fights that include a burn phase towards the end (TFB 1st, 4th and 5th boss, EC 1st), or where the last part of the fight is harder than the first (EC Kephess under 60%). 3/3 in steely resolve will probably parse better since the dummy never gets below 30%, but 3/3 burnout should perform better in an actual raid.

Edited by steave

If you take 2 points or less in steely resolve, then yes, but with 3 points in it they both add exactly the same amount of bonus damage, but one also adds crit while the other doesn't.

There is no "good enough" for crit (or any stats, except for accuracy which is ofc useless when you have enough to always hit anyway) - if you can get them higher without sacrificing anything then you should of course do it.

I do think your crit rating is a bit too high though, I've experimented with it by swapping crystals and mods around and have noticed clear DPS gains when going down to about 280, but after that the differences become minuscule, but I personally ended up settling for a crit rating of 220 since that generally seemed to provide the bests results while parsing, however, in the ~200-280 range the differences where very insignificant and honestly more likely to come down to luck rather than the optimal balance. I still wouldn't recommend going over 280 though.

This is my current build, and gets me about ~2100 dps on the dummy on my own with a rakata stim (aka no bloodthirst or armor debuff).

You also don't have any armor penetration, so a internal (not elemental - elemental uses force crit chance while internal uses tech crit chance) proc relic would provide more damage.

I also prefer maxing burnout, partially due to the extra 1% crit you have always, but most importantly for the fact that there are so many fights that include a burn phase towards the end (TFB 1st, 4th and 5th boss, EC 1st), or where the last part of the fight is harder than the first (EC Kephess under 60%). 3/3 in steely resolve will probably parse better since the dummy never gets below 30%, but 3/3 burnout should perform better in an actual raid.

I tried to re-create your build on my Pyro (stat wise, still ran with 8/6/27). I actually noticed about a 70 DPS drop when I dropped my crit past 35%. Really didn't expect that....

I'm in just a little over a third of dread guard, so I'm still around 60% campaign (excluding relics, which I have the internal and clicky DG ones, there are 28 slots that can be DG level. Those 28 slots include ear, implants, and the mod/armorings/enhancements. So 11 of those are DG level for my toon). With an exotech stim, all 4 buffs, I sit at 35.64% crit, 76.01% surge, and 100.4% accuracy. Rest is power. With that stat distribution, I hit 1939 on a 6 min dummy parse. When I dropped my crit down 34% flat (with stim, buffs), I hit 1870 on a dummy after 6 min.

I know that a lot of these parses come down to RNG being nice to you, but I really wouldn't expect a 70 DPS difference :eek:

I tried to re-create your build on my Pyro (stat wise, still ran with 8/6/27). I actually noticed about a 70 DPS drop when I dropped my crit past 35%. Really didn't expect that....

I'm in just a little over a third of dread guard, so I'm still around 60% campaign (excluding relics, which I have the internal and clicky DG ones, there are 28 slots that can be DG level. Those 28 slots include ear, implants, and the mod/armorings/enhancements. So 11 of those are DG level for my toon). With an exotech stim, all 4 buffs, I sit at 35.64% crit, 76.01% surge, and 100.4% accuracy. Rest is power. With that stat distribution, I hit 1939 on a 6 min dummy parse. When I dropped my crit down 34% flat (with stim, buffs), I hit 1870 on a dummy after 6 min.

I know that a lot of these parses come down to RNG being nice to you, but I really wouldn't expect a 70 DPS difference :eek:

Some of that could be due to the difference in build since I have an extra percent crit from burnout, but it does indeed sound more like RNG. What kind of rotation are you using? That could also be a factor depending on the balance between ranged and tech attacks with their different crit chances. I stick to RpS, RS, FB and RP only during my normal rotation, and add in TSO+IM right before I activate my cooldowns.

I have definitely had some parses like that though, where my attacks just seemed to refuse to crit and RS would come off cooldown on its own before proccing quite often, which of course leads to much lower DPS.

EDIT: Just ran 3 new parses to check (torparse, fryingtime) and the results match up with what I've seen before - the first parse is with my normal build, the second one with a power crystal swapped for crit and the third one with both power crystals swapped for crit. Mox read 2100 for the first, 2080 for the second and 2000 dps for the third when I stopped fighting, although that dropped a little while waiting for combat to end of course.

Edited by steave

I came back on here to erase that post I made! I spoke way too soon!

I have been messing around with parsing a lot lately to max out my rotation...typically, I do my best to keep my heat below 30 at all times. This means I've stuck with only using IM when THO is up.

However, since I'm so conservative in my rotation since I fear overheating, I've felt like I could use IM much more. So I gave it a shot. I pulled 1935 using my 35% crit build and using IM whenever my heat was close to 0 and I was not in need of proc''ing a rail shot. Then I went with your build stat wise, dropped my crit down to 34%, and my DPS shot up to 1981...all the while, the crit ratio was actually .01% the second time :p

I guess it's like you said, sometimes the numbers just hate you...but I'm going to run with 34% crit now and keep experimenting with that. Thank you for helping me tweak my build :)

EDIT: Parsed again using the same rotation and stat-build and got 1926. Total crits this time was only 40%, which was 6% less than the parse of 1981 and the parse of 1935 (before I dropped some crit stat). So even with 6% less crits, the difference between 35.75% crit chance and 34% was only about 10 DPS less. Yeah, I'll stick with 34% crit!

Edited by ScytheEleven

I came back on here to erase that post I made! I spoke way too soon!

I have been messing around with parsing a lot lately to max out my rotation...typically, I do my best to keep my heat below 30 at all times. This means I've stuck with only using IM when THO is up.

However, since I'm so conservative in my rotation since I fear overheating, I've felt like I could use IM much more. So I gave it a shot. I pulled 1935 using my 35% crit build and using IM whenever my heat was close to 0 and I was not in need of proc''ing a rail shot. Then I went with your build stat wise, dropped my crit down to 34%, and my DPS shot up to 1981...all the while, the crit ratio was actually .01% the second time :p

I guess it's like you said, sometimes the numbers just hate you...but I'm going to run with 34% crit now and keep experimenting with that. Thank you for helping me tweak my build :)

EDIT: Parsed again using the same rotation and stat-build and got 1926. Total crits this time was only 40%, which was 6% less than the parse of 1981 and the parse of 1935 (before I dropped some crit stat). So even with 6% less crits, the difference between 35.75% crit chance and 34% was only about 10 DPS less. Yeah, I'll stick with 34% crit!

When talking about crit, its usually better to refer to the amount of rating.

Also, luck on ppa proc is gonna have more of an effect on ptech DPS than luck on crits.

And yeah, IM is one of the better filler abilities to use when you can't proc ppa. Remember, if you proc and have less than 15 heat at your next gcd, use IM first, then rail shot, to get the most out of your regen. Bottoming out is almost as bad as overheating (the only reason overheating is worse is because it can work you into a rut)