The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech Tank PvP

Gartzen

I currently pplay Powertech - Advanced Prototype. I'm enjoying it a lot. Questing is easy, pvp amazing. But it's very difficult to find flashpoint groups as dps. So, anyone tried pvp as Shield Tech (Tank spec)? Or, has anyone tried tanking as Advanced Prototype in leveling flashpoints?

I'm putting most of my points into Shield Tech and I've been having fun with PvP. I'm fairly new to PvP and I was kicking butt to my pleasant surprise! You can stilll pack a pretty mean punch as a Shield Tech and at the same time you're harder to take down. The nice thing is you get points and medals from using guard on party members and taking some damage for them, so it's not all about damage output.

I am currently level 30 Shieldtech, now dont get me wrong, I have twenty levels to go, but I love PvPing as him. Let me give you a few reasons why:

1. Up to level 30 I gave it a A- ranked, you struggle to close gaps, but can take really good damage, at 30, or 21 points into shield tech you get Jet Charge. More on that. At 22 you get grapple, one of the most frustrating abilities the opposing team will face, you get to grab someone and pull em to you. WHether that means yanking the ballcarrier away from scoring, yanking someone into a hazard and stunning them, yanking a healer away from the group, someone trying to get away from you etc. Just awesome.

2. You can take some damage, obviously its a tank spec, guard a healer, guard a guy with low health, it is awesome ssaving a guy by dropping guard on him giving just enought ime for a healer to get there or for you to come and help kill the guy attacking him. Also, a lot of people dont realize guard is a very easy way to add a few medals to your score (i usually get 3 a game, blocking 2k damage, 5k without dying, 10k without dying) more medals = more commendations, more valor, more expereience and more cash. Thats a win in my book.

3. Jet Charge: It is AWESOME. You see marauders do it, you see juggs do it, but no one expects the BH to do it. Use it to switch levels with the ball in huttball (going from bottom level up by the goal cause some noob is spamming from up there.) It has an extremely short cooldown (15s) and it is an interrupt and a 3s immobilize on contact.

4. Versatility: some say that BH dont do much damage, in my last warzone, on Voidstar, I was third in damage, with 190k. Behind a level 50 sorc who pulled 350, and a Merc who was 38 who did 230k. I had 8 medals, protected for 37k, it was awesome.

5. Finally, im not specced like I need to be for good PvP. I have yet to put together a good build on what I want my PvP build to look like. probably 30 in the ST tree, (heat usually isnt much of an issue in PvP) which gives 11 to get up to retractable blade in the AP tree. But I would probably also put some points into the advanced grapple. So that I can get a stun after i hit someone with grapple.

Those are my 2 cents, I am loving PvP with the powertech, throw a healer with you or some DPS and you wont die to much. And because you can do melee, some ranged, can charge and can pull you are ALWAYS having fun. Hope this helps and gives you some idea on it!

^ What he said.

Just use the hell out of guard in PvP. Most people won't ever know how much you helped them, but being a PvP tank in SWTOR is like being a lineman in the NFL. I can't count how many times my shield tech abilities have made the difference in a match, especially in huttball with the last second grapple. Shield Tech feels like it was made for huttball.

• 4 weeks later...

Hate to revive an older thread but I'm enjoying Shield Tech for PvP. Up to level 40 now, and wondering if anyone's thoughts have changed on the matter? Perhaps some links to some good level 50 PvP shield tech skill tree suggestions would be nice!

I like the idea of being high utility, highly armoured, even if it means my DPS suffers for it. I can still be very useful in most warzones even without the high damage (especially huttball!)

Edited by OldSchoolC

If you love Shield-tech PvP, try the ST/Pyro outlined in this thread when you can.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=147738

It's the same concept except you go hybrid into Pyrotech for more damage. There are discussions around as to why some of the deep shield tech talents aren't very useful for PvP mainly the shielding part. TLDR: Common types of damage you'll take in PvP go through Shielding. You'll find that even with a 21 pt investment in ST as compared to the former 30, you're still just as durable as before.

I am still gearing up and I feel in no shape or form gimped in damage. Anymore we would be ridiculously OP.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/747/screenshot2012011717261.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1400/screenshot2012011718142.jpg

With so many lvl 50 guys running around you'll do barely any dmg as Shield Tech, unless you're max lvl with gear. On the other hand, you're at least useful with guarding others. At max level you are god of Huttball and king of the other 2 wzs. Edited by Makhbet

With so many lvl 50 guys running around you'll do barely any dmg as Shield Tech, unless you're max lvl with gear. On the other hand, you're at least useful with guarding others. At max level you are god of Huttball and king of the other 2 wzs.

This is my frustration at the moment. I played PT in beta and when everyone was in the 10-35 range I found a low level PT a lot of fun. I just rolled another and at 16 I'm getting absolutely destroyed in milliseconds and hit like a wet noodle. I'm really trying to stick with it but, compared to my sorc and IA, PVP just isn't that much fun at this level as melee. I'm just hoping that after today's patch things will get better without all the battlemaster 50's running around destroying everyone.

This is my frustration at the moment. I played PT in beta and when everyone was in the 10-35 range I found a low level PT a lot of fun. I just rolled another and at 16 I'm getting absolutely destroyed in milliseconds and hit like a wet noodle. I'm really trying to stick with it but, compared to my sorc and IA, PVP just isn't that much fun at this level as melee. I'm just hoping that after today's patch things will get better without all the battlemaster 50's running around destroying everyone.

With the new level 50 brackets now open this should not be a problem going forward. As a level 50 PT with champ gear I don't get a great amount of joy from beating up lower lvl's who can't really do any damage to me.

Basicaly you can chose one of two main ST build. Shield/Pyro or Shiled/adv prototype one has more omph other has more utility. Both are usualy going in ST only deep enough to get rocket charge. Builds use either eliminator set if build around rail shot talents or combat tech is they are based around rocket punch talents. Combat tech set is atm buged causing carbonize to became useless.

Both builds can use supercomando for special purposes like ball carring.

Edited by Rabbitofdoom

Hate to revive an older thread but I'm enjoying Shield Tech for PvP. Up to level 40 now, and wondering if anyone's thoughts have changed on the matter? Perhaps some links to some good level 50 PvP shield tech skill tree suggestions would be nice!

I like the idea of being high utility, highly armoured, even if it means my DPS suffers for it. I can still be very useful in most warzones even without the high damage (especially huttball!)

Unfortunately the way mitigation currently works in pvp (ie not much at all) a full tanking build is surpassed by any number of hybrid builds that utilise use of IGC. This is not just for us but assassins and juggernaughts do the same thing with soresu form and dark charge. These abilities give the raw damage reduction which is the main source of staying power for all the tanks in PvP and allows you to happily guard and get all the perks of being a tank without having terrible DPS.

In the case of powertechs these hybrid builds often involve going high enough to pick up jet charge because its just that damn awesome :p