The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advice for gearing a fresh 50 tank?

Korser

Firstly let me say I dont pvp, so this is all pve gear I am asking about, I know some of the WH gear is supposed to be bis, but I dont want to grind pvp.

Just hit 50 a few days ago, got my free recruits gear & tio comms, although as far as I could see all tio gear was worse than recruits, I did drop a couple of recruits pieces for the 2 piece tio bonus though.

Ok the questions:

1) Is it worth buying the rakata ear/implant with dailies, or should I just get the bh comms ones when I have enough, & spend daily comms on something else?

2) I notice the black hole gear has no set bonus, should I get a full set of tio, & move all bh mods I get into that for the set bonus?

3) I read someone saying they had bought the BH legs a few times for the mods, are the mods in the legs much better than the chest?

4) Any particular FP runs I should do for gear or avoid as too hard at this level of gear? In particular I would like to know where to get a decent upgrade from recruits pistol, & ops are a way off for me yet.

Thanks for any answers & if you have any other tips to give.

Firstly let me say I dont pvp, so this is all pve gear I am asking about, I know some of the WH gear is supposed to be bis, but I dont want to grind pvp.

Just hit 50 a few days ago, got my free recruits gear & tio comms, although as far as I could see all tio gear was worse than recruits, I did drop a couple of recruits pieces for the 2 piece tio bonus though.

Ok the questions:

1) Is it worth buying the rakata ear/implant with dailies, or should I just get the bh comms ones when I have enough, & spend daily comms on something else?

2) I notice the black hole gear has no set bonus, should I get a full set of tio, & move all bh mods I get into that for the set bonus?

3) I read someone saying they had bought the BH legs a few times for the mods, are the mods in the legs much better than the chest?

4) Any particular FP runs I should do for gear or avoid as too hard at this level of gear? In particular I would like to know where to get a decent upgrade from recruits pistol, & ops are a way off for me yet.

Thanks for any answers & if you have any other tips to give.

1. Yes, it is. It's a big improvement over recruit, and 70 BH comms will get you a lot of mods for the rest of your gear.

2. Definitely. The set bonus helps, and it's cheaper to move mods to an old armor set than it is to augment the new set

3. That depends on your priorities and tanking philosophy. The chest has the high absorb mod, while the legs have the high endurance mod - do you want 21 endurance or 9 absorb rating? Opinions differ. I prefer using the high endurance mods since the hardest fight in the game right now (Kephess NiM) has a lot of unmitigateable damage and does it in big bursts so the extra HP is nice to have, but some others prefer high absorb/defense mods providing a slightly higher total mitigation but at the price of a significant chunk of HP.

4. LI HM. If you're really good and have lots of experience with it you could do it with your current gear, but since you're a fresh 50 without experience of the end game content you're not at that point yet. If you're in a guild and can team up with them they could carry you trough it assuming their gear and skill level is up to the task, but don't try it in a PUG. SM KP and EV really aren't that hard though, so you should easily be able to handle those, and the columi MH is only available from there and LI HM. The WH MH is an option in the meantime though, it will be a lot better than your recruit one until you can get a hold of a proper PVE MH, either from getting a drop or from taking mods from other gear pieces and putting them in your blaster.

Thanks for that, 1 more question:

Which of the daily relics are worth getting? the 455 absorb proc one sounds a bit too good to be true, so I'm guessing the shield & absorb on use is better.

As I said I dont pvp so wont be grinding the wh stuff.

Edited by Korser

Thanks for that, 1 more question:

Which of the daily relics are worth getting? the 455 absorb proc one sounds a bit too good to be true, so I'm guessing the shield & absorb on use is better.

As I said I dont pvp so wont be grinding the wh stuff.

I use the 455 abosrb proc one together with a EWH static defense relic. If you're not willing to grind for that, the free recruit set you get at 50 contains 2 BM relics - they're not quite as good as EWH but they work. If you already grabbed that set and don't have the relics for whatever reason, you can buy a champion one fro dredits - or just get a normal WH one after all, it only takes 550 comms and you gain about 100/match on average. Taking the daily reward into account (100 comms for doing 4 WZs) you'd only need to do 4-5 matches, taking you about 1.5-2 hours to get the WH. That really isn't too bad, and you might even discover that PVP isn't so bad after all ;)

So if I buy the Campaign armoring, what other mods do I use for my custom armor? The ones from the rewards from the dailies on Ilum and Belsavis? Cause those are lower levels than the other mods aren't they?

I thought I got it all figured out, but I'm lost again :| I just want to get some awesome looking custom gear.

So if I buy the Campaign armoring, what other mods do I use for my custom armor? The ones from the rewards from the dailies on Ilum and Belsavis? Cause those are lower levels than the other mods aren't they?

I thought I got it all figured out, but I'm lost again :| I just want to get some awesome looking custom gear.

The same ones you'd normally use, just rip them out of whatever gear you get and put them in your custom ones :)